Sandy Creek Lakeside Trail

Sandy Creek Lakeside Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Athens, Georgia that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1 hour ago

Nice quiet hike, a lot of up and down trail and you do have to pay attention to the white markers to stay on track. Saw a couple of blue herons. Depending on where you park we ended up doing about 8.25 miles as we parked in the middle parking lot. But overall a enjoyable hike on a gorgeous autumn day! Would do this again.

It's a great trail for beginners like me (only 3 months since I actively started hiking), but unlike what everything says...it's not 6.5 miles for the full loop. It's closer to 9. And a tip if you are hiking with a four legged friend, be sure to pack plenty of water for them, as there are no water sources along the trail (I didn't feel comfortable anywhere along the trail even getting close enough to the edge of the lake for maybe a lap or two of her tongue to swoop some up). I recommend taking 2-3 bottles of water just for your fur baby. My 2 liter water sack was perfect for me though. There's a few inclines and as some have pointed out, an area that's not as well maintained. All in all though, a great trail for beginners or for those that want a good half-day hike.

Beautiful Athens trail for a cool, or winter day. Goes back into the woods, no real roads or cars around the backside. Very peaceful.

Super easy walk around the lake through the forest, nearby some private homes on one side, and along the lake by some marshy areas. Pretty shaded most of the way.

A nice, easy trail with some interesting scenery different from the usual waterfall hikes up in the mountains. East shore is nice and flat and wide as it piggybacks the horse trail. West shore is hilly and overgrown in some spots, and not as well maintained. Between this trail and Cook's trail you can get almost all the mileage for the Boy Scout Hiking Badge.

Trail is well marked and in good condition.

really enjoyed the hike. we will be back when they fix the boardwalk. it was a good walk for us and we enjoyed the scenery and the quiet.

Great trails! There's a choice of short, moderate (white) or long (blue). I did moderate with my dog the other day and it was 6.7 miles according to my GPS tracking. Nicely maintained trails and easy to maneuver even after heavy rain. CAREFUL: A medium sized dog came charging from the woods from one of the bordering houses at about the 3 mile marker near the halfway point.

Nice easy trail and is very good if you are starting hike or training for a longer trail. however the miles is off, it 8 miles, not 6.5.

Thursday, October 06, 2016