Rock Town Trail, Pigeon Mountain is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near La Fayette, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 193 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Please note: MUST buy a Lands Pass to hike this trail. All horse, bike, caving, hiking, rock climbing, parasailing and hang-gliding trails are closed during firearm deer seasons. For more information: https://georgiawildlife.com/crockford-pigeon-mountain-wma Nice trail that leads to a grouping of boulders known as Rock Town. Bouldering from easy to difficult. There are wild blueberries along the way.

Great hike. We took all 4 of our boys from ages 11-4 and they really had a good time climbing on all the rock formations. Definitely recommend and we will be back

Lots of opportunities to explore with side trails, so you’ll end up doing more than the indicated trail distance. The bridge over the small creek was washed out today, but you can easily hop the creek if you look upstream about twenty or thirty yards. Fun place to stroll and explore. Bring bug spray.

A classic. This place was way more crowded than I’ve ever seen it! Plenty of people enjoying the rocks

heard about this area and finally made it up. amazing maze of gigantic boulders to wonder around, scramble over or climb around. activities for everyone. will absolutely be back

Rock town is super fun for kids and anyone that likes climbing around on rocks

This map only shows the hike out of Rocktown. I forgot to turn the recorder on! Great hike. It was a bit too hot for bouldering. But we did some anyway. I love Rocktown. The trails are mostly easy, the walk out was kind of rough only because it was so hot. There were only a few people there. They fall is the best time to go when it’s cool outside. It is more crowded then. Don’t forget to bring your land pass. The road getting there is rough.

There is plenty of parking and a nice sign that includes a map. Super cute little trail—you could easily do with dogs (on leash) and kids. I would hesitate to rate it as moderate. The trail is wide and there are plenty of options for exploring on the rocks just off the trail.

I haven't been up there in a few years but I remember the rock formations are definitely worth the hike in.

Wed Apr 10 2019

Trail is easy and okay but could use some work. Stay and watch the people boulder!

Tue Nov 06 2018

Loved it! The boulders are so interesting. I enjoyed watching others rock climb.

Tue Jun 05 2018

MUST HAVE LAND PASS or HUNTING LICENSE to enter. We didn't know this and drove on this not so great road with potholes to get here.... to find out that we couldn't use our cellphones to buy passes because there is no cell phone service . We didn't get to hike but I would love to go back with a Land Pass because the pictures look awesome! I think the top description should inform people to buy a land pass before driving to this area! Only giving 1 star because I haven't yet seen it and because of the road to get there.lol

Thu Oct 19 2017

Amazing day trip. You are supposed to have a Lands Pass to get in. Or a hunting license. If you have a small car, prepare for some serious potholes on the way in. The hike itself is easy. It's the rocks and side trails that are the real fun. we never made it to the end of the trail (excuse to go back) because of all the climbing, jumping, and plain old fun we where having on the rocks. Keep your app handy. If not careful, it is very easy to lose the main trail.

Mon Jul 17 2017

Used to be my favorite place to hike. Most of the best views are easy climbs. Over the last decade climbers have come in huge hordes and really laid waste to the place. Most large formations have a big pile of wrappers(both Cliff Bar & Swisher) and chalk. I regularly find graffiti all over the place. I used to be able to CAMP here but now that is against the rules because people refuse to respect it. Rock Town is one of the most beautiful natural areas in Georgia. If you're going to climb there... clean up after yourselves.

Wed Mar 15 2017

Tons of good moderates. Best boulders in the area by far.

Sun Mar 05 2017

Amazing place. I plan on going back because I didn't have time to see everything!

Sun Dec 11 2016

Fun beautiful trails but GPS directions completely wrong.

Sun Dec 04 2016

Some of the best climbing and beautiful rock formations in the southeast

Tue Nov 29 2016

Great!

Wed Jun 15 2016

Great location for bouldering! There's also an awesome cave known as Petty Johns cave which is awesome to explore.

Fri Apr 15 2016

Nice, easy hike for the family on a beautiful spring day--azaleas and wildflowers all along the trail, along with amazing rock formations that were easy to get to.

Tue Jul 28 2015

Very unique place to hike took my chihuahua

Sun May 03 2015

This hike is good when you have time to explore and climb. It's only a (scenic) one mile to amazing rock formations so not strenuous at all unless you climb and explore. You'll want to take lots of pictures.

Tue May 06 2014

Definitely a one-of-a-kind destination. Another great day trip destination. From walking around between the rocks, to bouldering, to climbing; there is no shortage of activities here. The trail is really pretty as well.

Fri Feb 01 2013

Easy trail and worth talking a hike down the scenery is amazing with all the rock formations. Free climbers use these rocks quite frequent.

Tue Jan 01 2013

this hike was totally amazing, the rock formations were awesome, a must see for any hiker, not a long hike but more trails if you want more, easy flat trail and well marked. expect to see alot of rock climbers and boulder climbers