Rock Outcrop and Watershed Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(92)
Panola Mountain State Park

Rock Outcrop and Watershed Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stockbridge, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 167 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

We did two short trails here, each one was just over a mile or so. They were both pretty easy. We came mid week just when quarantine started and saw very few other people. We didn't see much wildlife or anything but it was still just a nice walk through the woods. The rock out crop trail was more interesting from a geological standpoint. The facilities by the parking lot were very clean and well stocked.

Pretty short and busy as can be expected.

dog friendly, I wish people used poop bags. Very easy for my 3m old hound. Good views

fee

I did both Rock Outcrop and Watershed trails at Panola State Park. It's got a good combination of boardwalk and nature trails, so it's good for people who would like to have a bit of work out without completely walking on pavement. part way through watershed trail, I veered onto the PATH trail check out the Panola Mountain Outlook. The trailer is pristine, great for biking.

I hiked with my dog on a leash. It is a very easy trail. The watershed trail has some uphill hiking and the water is still flowing even in this dry spell. The lichen and moss on the granite is a wonder of creation. There are plenty of picnic tables in the shade to share a meal. The gate lady and staff are very pleasant and helpful. I may bring a bike next time to ride the paved trail.

Sat May 25 2019

Nice trail great to take the kids there’s also a nature center and playground

Tue May 14 2019

wonderful little short hike with a great view of Panola mountain

Sun May 05 2019

nice easy hike. rock outcrop was pretty and so was the small stream. trails were well kept.

Good little trail. Didn’t know I was coming here so I didn’t have proper hiking shoes. But I always make time for a hike!

Tue Jun 26 2018

The rock outcropping offers a beautiful view and multiple flora can be seen thought this nature lovers trail.

Wed Jun 06 2018

Basic trials, lots of rules, dogs loved it though. Found some cool looking mushrooms. It was alright.

Mon Feb 19 2018

I enjoyed the trail, it offered beautiful views of the rock and the lichens growing on top. The path is well kept and marked, no easy way to get lost.

rock climbing
Tue Feb 06 2018

Place is known for some small Bouldering adventures outside of ATL.

Sat Jan 27 2018

Nice and quiet early in the morning. Saw a hawk, Turkey vultures, granite outcrops and small stream.

Tue Jun 27 2017

It was cute! Not a real hike but still pretty and we climbed on some of the outcropping

Sat May 06 2017

love these trails

Sun Apr 16 2017

If you time it right the wildflowers are just amazing. Well worth your time and especially if you are in the area.

Tue Mar 21 2017

nice, easy trail. the watershed trail was closed until further notice, though.

Sat Nov 12 2016

Nice easy trail with bike path and fishing

Mon Oct 24 2016

Easy trail with nice scenery.

Wed Sep 07 2016

Great views! Easy hike! My children love it.

Fri Aug 19 2016

It was okay. There wasn't really much to see on the route we took, but the exercise was good and the Pokemon Go signs were funny.

Tue May 24 2016

The park is a wonderful work in progress. Many improvements and a lot of history. The Park Rangers are very helpful, knowledgeable and passionate about their park. Beautiful view (on a clear day excluding most Georgia humid summer days) of Stone Mountain. Perfect place for anyone who loves geology. I'm a north Georgia girl but, my daughter and I were very pleased with our visit and hike.

Mon May 23 2016

We grabbed this park on our muddy spokes tour. It is paved and well maintained. It is a little more difficult than it lets on,as you have steep climbs and switchbacks that are occupied by hikers and families out enjoying the park mind your manners and be polite to all you meet.

Sat Jan 02 2016

For young children or the elderly. Very boring might as well be walking on a side walk. Just go to Arabia Mountain.

Tue Sep 02 2014

First off, the park is beautiful and is deserving of more than 3 stars. However, we paid to go camping a their "hike in" campsites and were extremely disappointed to find cars there - and they were Boy Scouts. Anyway, the campsites were actually fairly nice and the hike to them was not far at all. Unfortunately, they surround a pretty nasty looking pond (or black bog) that was a mosquito magnet. There was also a taped-off abandoned house right across from one side of the campgrounds - creepy. We decided not to stay and took off on a hike around the lake. We forked off onto what appeared to be a paved walking track that was not longer maintained that wound through a swampy area, eventually leading to an archery area on the backside of the lake. There was a picnic table there, so we dropped our packs and fixed lunch, then enjoyed a couple of hours in the neatly mowed, wide-open fields near the lake. Saw some deer and a limpkin in the swamp. The weather started out with the threat of rain, but cleared up and ended being sunny and very hot. Overall, the park is very nice. Lots of people fishing, walking, and running. I was very disappointed in the camping though...just not what I expected at all. I would definitely go back with my family under different circumstances and give it a higher rating.

Sat Nov 12 2011

There are three trails here. One is called the Outcrop trail, very nice trail, great views of some of the local granite outcroppings in the area. The second is called the Watershed trail. This one is longer and has a chance to see more wildlife. My first time out, I came across a herd of deer, 3 stags and about a dozen does. Was only able to get one doe on camera. The third trail is on the mountain itself and you have to make reservations for that trail, details on the website