Rock Dam Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Appling, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, mountain biking, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 465 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice trial, mostly covered with trees. We went after a few days of rain and the stream water levels were pretty high which made the stream crossings interesting. Took a couple detours to find easier places to cross. On the plus side, our dog loved all the creek crossings.

Awesome trail !!!! We didn’t expect to do almost 9.5 miles ! This trail is just so fun & exciting each step, you don’t know what you’ll see ! We saw a cotton mouth just as we started that told us we were in for a wild walk ! After that it was amazing views, waterfalls, water crossings, lots of frogs, birds & just so much fun !

flooded

Such a fun trail. You can bushwhack. We had very high water so some of the trail was impassable but you could find ways to cross upstream. Very well marked with white and blue-on-white blazes. Mountain bike would be tough, not a novice run.

Beautiful scenery! Hiked the trail with 4 kids, ages ranging from 5-15 with no problems. However, creek crossings can be difficult if the water is any higher.

bridge out

The trail is great for those seeking a challenge and a chance to get dirty. Great for dogs. There are multiple river crossings without bridges so get ready to walk or jump thru the water. The trail has some trees blown down and you will have to tackle those passes as well. Overall I give this trail 4 stars because of the conditions that it is, it could receive some TLC. If it wasn't for Alltrails app I would have lost my bearings sometimes.

Great hike. Super hike to rehab on. I saw one doe, one Downey headed woodpecker and one red tail hawk that was disemboweling a squirrel Welcome 2020. Let’s do some miles

Great hike for myself and the pup. She enjoyed the water we passed.

fee

The trail has a few rough splotches but overall it is a good trail. Have to purchase $5 parking pass but that’s it.

Wonderful trail to walk with dogs! You have to cross a small creek in the beginning, so be prepared to get a little wet.

This trail was a bit hard to follow in the beginning, but if you check with your phone it's easy to figure it out. We did get a bit yet, but nothing crazy. Was a good amount of ups and downs. We saw lots of frogs, turtles, interesting mushrooms and but rocks. So much fun with the few water crossings. Definitely more bugs in the more wooded areas. And one spot in particular was over grown with thorny vines. Our poor 6 year old got scraped up trying to get through them.

This will forever be my favorite trail to hike! So many creek crossings, and I love that! My dogs did too. Be prepared to get wet. It’s a great way to cool off in that Georgia heat! Bring snacks, there are some picnic tables with great views to enjoy. The only part that was somewhat challenging was walking on a steep slope for a while towards the end of the trail.

Great until the final Creek crossing. Beware if you don't want to get wet. As previous reviewer stated, no way across without wading in, at least up to knees. Would be great if there was some type of bridge or help across added. Great hike overall.

Love this trail system. Only did the part from the park entrance to Back Country site 1 but this was the first time doing it with gear involved. Was easy to navigate the trail as it was clearly marked and you only needed to look at the way the trail was going to see the path. If you return from BC1 to the main entrance it is easy to get off the trail if you don’t pay attention. You don’t need the trail map they provide you at the entrance to follow the trail as this app has that same information. One thing to watch out for is not just mosquitoes or spiders, but ticks. Easy to have a couple of those hitch on to you and you don’t notice. Will be back in a couple weeks!

What a beautiful hike! Inconsistent with a previous review, we found the trail to be exceptionally well-marked and easy to navigate. We saw lots of frogs and other small wildlife. LOTS of bugs in the summer heat, so don’t forget your bug spray! Climbs were short and not particularly strenuous, and except for one small overgrown section, the trail was very well maintained. Several fun creek crossings, including one with no choice but to wade in, so plan accordingly. We look forward to returning to hike this trail again in the fall.

Sat May 18 2019

I've got mixed reviews about this place. The trail itself is really nice. I enjoyed running it. Pros: it's shaded and great for trail running and mountain biking. It's unique and challenging. There's great elevation for this part of the state and there's great views of the water. Cons: This was my first time running this trail and I wasn't familiar with it. It's very poorly marked. Starting at the trail head, there was no indication that the trail started there. The trail map from the visitor center did not match the actual trail. I kept getting out the trail map and was still unsure if I was heading in the right direction. There are several places where the trail splits with no markers. Twice I had to turn around because I wasn't sure if I was on the right trail and it turned out I wasn't. Some of the trail markings are blue rectangles painted on trees and some were blue diamonds with white outlining. The good news was after about the 1.5 mile mark, it was significantly easier to follow. My advice would be to stay alert and follow the blue as much as possible. When you get to the splits with no visible blue markers (you will), choose a path and look for blue further down. If you don't see blue, turn around and try the other part. It's also very overgrown in spots. There were stretches where I was running with one hand up to keep the branches from hitting my face. I also recommend to smother yourself in bug spray, there's tons of bugs.

Wed May 08 2019

Lots of Spider webs this time of year! We ended up off trial (and alittle lost) but that might just be our fault. Lots of places to sit and rest (benches). A pretty great trial if you in joy long walks in the woods.