Providence Canyon Perimeter Loop Trail

Providence Canyon Perimeter Loop Trail is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Omaha, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Canyons, Unique Landscapes, Rolling Hills The Providence Canyon area is known as "Georgia's Little Grand Canyon" due to its unique geological features. The soils are very soft and erosive due to the elevation and geologic location of the Park. The area was once an ancient seabed that was drastically effected by farming practices during the 1800's. Once trees and vegetation were removed, the soil and land eroded at an alarming rate. Ditches 3 to 5 feet deep were cut by the 1850's and eventually the erosion led to 16 canyons. Some are as deep as 150 feet and expose the colors of iron ore, manganese, kaolin, mica, and sandy clays. There are two main canyon trails in the park. The white blazed Canyon Trail is a three mile loop that runs around canyons 1-9. It is primarily used by day hikers. The red blazed Backcountry Trail is a wider seven mile loop that circles the park and is mainly used by overnight backpackers. The Backcountry Trail requires a permit which allows access to six campsites that are situate

This place is gorgeous! We will be going back for sure!

My friend and I took my dog through the canyons and then walked around them to see the canyons from a different angle. They were so gorgeous. You couldn't really see into the canyons until you got about half way around (we took the trail off of the creek in the canyons and not the one closer to the cars) but there were some cool old cars before you got to the lookout points. Next time, if I go through the canyons first again, I will probably just look into the canyons from the lookout spots near the cars rather than walk the whole perimeter.

This area is beautiful and a nice hike around the inner canyons and outer rim. It was a super hot day when we hiked so bring extra water inside canyons.

the overall experience and view was good. the red trail needs to have more trackable markers after mile marker 2. my recommendation is a more detailed mapping of the trail and more signs on the red trail. the white trail was very detailed and gives u a direct route to the canyon. the ranger staff at the visitor center was very nice and helpful

Interesting area. Not as deep a canyon as I had thought.

Breathtaking views!

We took the loop counter clockwise. some of the the hills were intense, but short! Beautiful! after the loop we went back down the hill and went through the canyons. Going back up the huge hill was killer after logging over five miles from the loop and throughout the canyons!

Hiked the loop counter clockwise with the family. Very nice, moderate trail. Be sure to explore the canyons once you reach the bottom. Canyons 4 and 5 offer some spectacular scenery. If you're in the area, don't miss this hike!

This was a great day hike for the family. Main trails were marked great. Really wish people would read the signs and not climb the walls. Moderate hike for children but nothing too hard. Really enjoyed the blue skies and varying color of dirt in the canyon.

This is a really nice trail. It has some beautiful views looking down in the canyons. We started at the interpretive center and took the white blaze trail counter clockwise, seeing the canyons from 9 to 1. The first views of the canyons left a little too be desired but that changed as we got closer to end (or middle) of the loop! The views were pretty amazing. These canyons are beautiful and unusual to this side of the US.

We also walked in the canyons and I strongly suggest this! Just stay on the path. There are areas you can walk kind of around the canyon and off the path (but it looks like another path... don't do that it is easy to get lost)!

My suggestion is to start at the interpretive center, go down the hill. Where you see a sign to go to canyon 1-5 to the left follow that first. It is out and back and short but really neat to see. Then follow the white blaze trail on your way back for the views from above.

The trail can be wet and a few times you cross very shallow water. Hiking shoes that can tolerate the water better than tennis shoes are recommended because of this! Otherwise it isnt too long or very difficult, a few hills but not bad at all and well with it for the beautiful views!

Great for day trip. Once you make the short walk down into the base you feel as if you are somewhere in Utah.

Very pretty spot! Not very long trails.

Neat hike but very short. Interesting rock formations and definitely worth a look.

Monday, November 28, 2016

Beautiful view that can't be found elsewhere in Georgia

Sunday, November 20, 2016

This place was amazing. Mini redneck Grand Canyon. Make sure to bring exact $5 cash for parking. Get there early. The parking lot is small. There is not a lot of food option in the area so bring a lunch.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Great hike for my wife, 3 boys, and I. Great views, some inclines, but nothing serious. The trail is well marked and well maintained. 5 bucks to park.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

we had a great time enjoyed the hike,we had a friendly fox come visit our camp ground and he was stubborn and did not want to go away finally we were able to shew him away with out incident.we stayed in number 3 and enjoyed our stay thank you!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

I stayed in the back country camp sites on my trip. A 7 mile very diverse trail varying between soft sand, hard clay. some rocky areas. Nice inclines and declines. There are six sites. We hiked the trail backwards and noticed that site #6 has a shelter but the trail also goes right through the site. Sites 5,2, and 1 are very private. All of the maps I looked at show a water source. Be advised that you will need to hike water in. This source is pretty much non existent and we were advised strongly against using canyon floor water even if filtered. The small white trail was nice and offered views of old cars that were abandoned from an old homestead.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Great hike with the kids!

Monday, September 05, 2016

What a nice treat. While camping in Florida, we drove into Georgia just to hike it. Not disappointed at all that we did!