Pinhoti South Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Summerville, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 941 feet Route Type: Loop

We had so much fun giving ourselves a challenge and going up the steep way! Have a map, the signs are unhelpful and confusing. No views really but the challenge is the trip!!

Good hike today, perfect weather. Disappointed at the trash we saw on trail, hiked part of this last year and no trash was seen. Not many folks which was nice. Not any views to speak of, but did get the heart rate going up the climbs. Really enjoy the park.

Nice hike. Trails are well marked, but occasionally get real narrow. Like other reviewers suggested, I went counterclockwise. Steep at first, but leisurely the rest of it.

Challenging hike. I don’t know how anyone would do this trail clockwise. The steepest part is about a 600 foot elevation change over .6 miles. Going counter-clockwise I had to stop a few times and catch my breath going up. Yes it was strenuous but I would much rather climb up and be able to secure my footing then have to step down and hope I land on solid ground for half a mile! The good news is once you reach the top it is literally all downhill from there. A nice easy slope all the way down. I’ll do it again for sure.

Hiked this yesterday, brought my two oldest kids that are 10 and 7. Both loved this! It was more challenging than the marble mine. It is kinda slick and the trail on the way out is a lot smaller and grow up some than the way up. Definitely going to go back!

This was a fun trail that had decent views through the treeline and a cool waterfall. Some parts were very steep and slick after recent rain. This took me about an hour to complete. Great hike if you live nearby. Other lake activities available as well.

Good trail. Strenuous climb to the top of the ridge.

My husband and I are completely new to hiking (we have boots and daypacks-that's it). Since we are pretty fit and used to hills, we decided to take the Marble Mine-Pinhoti-Jenkins Gap loop. It was awesome!!! The trek up via Pinhoti wasn't bad and the views are lovely; however, descending on that Jenkins Gap trail was slippery and steep. Some kind soul left two sturdy sticks on the warning sign where the descent begins. Those sticks made the difference between staying upright or tumbling down the mountain. We had such a fun adventure! We cannot wait to try it again with a pair of proper hiking poles! Afterthought: The ranger at the visitors' center is very kind and helpful.

My dog Aska and I did this hike yesterday. Despite (or maybe because of) all the reviews stating that the hike must be done in a clockwise direction we did it counterclockwise and I think it was a wise choice. I can't deny that the statements that the Jenkins trail would be too hard going up offered a bit of a challenge, but more importantly since my legs are in pretty good condition and I have a gimpy knee it seemed like the wise thing to do. True, there is a short very steep section near the top The trail is laid out New England style--forget the switchbacks just head up--but the trail has no ledges, there is no scrambling you just walk up and it is not that far. The nearby Disney trail is steep and about twice as long as the steep section on this trail. With the thick layer of leaves on the trail I'm convinced that it is much easier going up than down. With the leaves it would have been very slippery going down. Once at the top the rest was a piece of cake. Except for a small stretch near the lake the rest of the hike was on old roads and quite easy. The park in the vicinity of the lake is a maze of trails. There are shorter routes from the mine back to the parking, but I highly recommend following the track as given on the app as it will take you along the lake as well as the mine and the ridge on top. Hiking in the counter clockwise direction the lake was a nice touch at the end of the hike. We had the trails almost entirely to ourselves. We met a family down near the lake and that was it. It was very peaceful especially walking along up on the ridge with limited views through the trees of the valleys on both sides of the ridge. There are a couple of blowdowns on the old road leading from the ridge to the mine but nothing that was difficult getting by. Even in the direction we took I would rate this hike as easy to moderate.

Came from High Point trailhead through this area and onto Mack White gap. The area was in great shape besides an occasional blowdown or two. Excellent walk in the woods kind of place with a lot of peace and quiet. Definitely would recommend.

Good hike! But note: There is a section on Jenkins Gap that is VERY steep as you descend. Take trekking poles and wear the proper footwear to avoid a slip. We went clockwise to avoid the scramble up Jenkins Gap. Glad we did because climbing up Jenkins Gap would have been too strenuous and taken too long.

This trail should be marked as hard. My beautiful daughter and I hiked up the steep incline first, then had a 3 mile downhill walk. The steep incline was extremely difficult with sandy/rocky/unstable footing, and very narrow. Would not want to hike down something that steep- I recommend going up. We loved this hike and would do it again!

This hike was fun and pushed me but hiking down Jenkins gap is steep and a bit precarious. Be careful!

I loved this trail. I want with my teenage and one of my dogs. Needless to say me and the dog made it. The teenager turned around halfway through. The trails are marked very well so you know what way you are going. When I got there we checked in and got a map. This park has 4 trails you can go on. Best hike ever. My sweet dog laid down a couple times. We did 4.5 miles. Great trails

My dog Cody and I completed this trail in 2 hours. Jenkins Gap was steep! I had to let Cody off the leash so he wouldn't pull me down, but we made it with no problems. However, I wouldn't want to go up that hill.

Sat Jun 01 2019

We enjoyed it. We took our 9 month old baby. Lots of shade. Trails clearly marked. We only went from the parking lot to the old mine then back around the lake.

Fri May 24 2019

Really fun trail for the most part but bugs are really terrible & there is one part that is completely down hill (like drop off). That part was scary and potentially dangerous. I would NOT take children or pets on this particular trail. Other than that part I loved the trail and it was challenging. Shade was awesome. Almost the entire trail was shaded. Personally, I would not do it again due to the one downhill part. It scared me and I slipped twice.

Tue May 07 2019

The Jenkins Gap incline is significant.

recorded Marble Mine Trail

Sun May 05 2019

This trail is in James H Floyd State Park. It’s a quick 2 mile in-and-out trail. The path is clearly marked.

Sun Mar 24 2019

great trail and we'll marked

Tue Mar 19 2019

Started off seeing the marble cave first and the rest of the hike was smooth after that.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Hiked the Pinhoti loop trail clockwise staring from the parking lot at the beginning of the Jenkins gap trail. Marble Mine was prettier than I expected. After the mine saw only three people for the rest of the hike. Going down Jenkins gap trail was very steep and hard on the knees. The loop was very well marked.

Fri Feb 15 2019

We parked at the Ranger station (they had a turtle inside and maps!) and walked across the bridge to Marble Mine Trail towards the left, but not the trail that follows along the lake (maps at the Ranger station). The trail is rough due to a lot of turned up dirt and clay clumps left by a backhoe or excavator. The steep part of the trail is worth the experience of the marble mine.