Pine Mountain Trail

Pine Mountain Trail is a 22.2 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Hamilton, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Great Trail! Parked in the lot across from the country store and walked to the trail head which was about 200 yards up on the right. The trail starts off a bit rocky but not bad at all. I wore Altra Superior 3.0 without rock plates and I was ok. It may have been a little better with them. The trail is very well marked in my opinion. There are mile markers every mile. They were a little short according to my Garmin but not enough to matter. However, my Garmin may have been lagging. By the markers I ran 10 miles, by Gamin it was 9.8. There are blue markings on the trees to guide you between markers. Elevation gain was around 1200 feet over the 10 miles. I did a 5 mile out and back beginning at the 0 mile marker. The veiws are pretty good. There are trails that break off the main trail that are also marked. Around mile 3 there is a Ranger Station and a map. It explains that you need to pay to park and uses the good ol' honor system box. However, there were no forms. I guess that's for parking in the park. Expect leaf coverage and roots. There is a very small stream crossing in the first few miles. It may have been 4 feet across. I ran the trail on Monday morning and I had the place to myself. Be careful because you will cross the road a few times. The trail is very easy to find again. I will be going back to this jewel again for sure.

One of my favorite backcountry trails to take my scout troop. We backpacked from the Ranger Station (mile 4ish) to the TV tower (mile 23) with a couple of small side hikes (Dowdell Knob overlook). Lots of options and different mileages for backcountry camping and also lots of water for filtering/treating. Some great views (Dowdell Knob), rolling elevation (see cross section map) and rocks (wear appropriate footwear) that can be challenging. The last three miles of the Wolfden section has some very pretty waterfalls and water crossings.

Pine Mountain is beautiful, especially in the late autumn as the trees change color and the campsite crowds diminish. I love the many loops and sub-trails on the mountain that allow me to pick from among different types of views, lengths, and levels of difficulty (though none of the paths rate as difficult) depending on my mood, time of day/year, weather conditions, and whether I want to camp overnight along the hike. Mountain trail runners also love the main spine trail, but I prefer the quieter walks past waterfalls, through the woods, and among the rocky outcrops.

Lovely area. Nice rocks to climb too!

Did the whole thing, 11.5 hours plenty of watering streams today:)

I've almost sectioned hike the whole thing, all but 3 miles and I love every mile, it's a moderate to slow in some areas hike through out the the whole trail. Really love the over looks provided but the trail and Ferney the big loblolly pine!

Friday, April 07, 2017