Dowdell Knob Loop: Pine Mountain and Boot Top Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(222)
F.D. Roosevelt State Park

Dowdell Knob Loop: Pine Mountain and Boot Top Trail Loop is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Warm Springs, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 751 feet Route Type: Loop

This is one of the best loops In FDR Park, especially if you don’t like the crowds on the waterfall trail. It contains a little of everything. You have good views, rocky portions, woodland portions, ups, downs, and a small but pretty waterfall.

fee

The best (and only) view is right at the parking lot. Distance is accurate. Parts of it were rocky! But very manageable! There’s no big waterfall. It’s tiny. Really glad we took a pic of the map, we felt a bit turned around at times. Love the different types of vegetation along the way. It’s nicely shaded at this time of year!

Most of this trail is rocky....many quarter and golf ball size rocks with larger ones partially buried. VERY LITTLE views, mostly foliage in the way. Overall, nice trail. Not too strenuous.

this was easier than i thought it would be. very fun

Hiked half of it today, west from the road crossing around to the knob. Not too strenuous for anyone with any experience, but can be challenging for younger ones. My 6 y/o had a devil of a time in some of the scramble places. Trail passes by a clear, cool spring. Overall, good hike, would like to go back & check out the other side.

Great hike. Great for on the leash dogs. Beautiful overlook with picnic area. Bring $5 for parking. No restrooms.

Good views. Not too strenuous - just rocky in parts

No shade in the spring before the leaves come out! Very few evergreens, trail is pretty rocky

My rating is for the trail itself. I think the trail is well marked and I loved the challenge of the rock scrambles interspersed with sand or gravel sections. Lots of variety. But this trail is overused and I don’t think the PMT group can keep up with the traffic. People with no regard for trail etiquette, wandering across delicate eco areas, trampling mosses and other vegetation, people overtly carving a tree trunk, and parents not controlling their herds really raised my hackles. We planned our hike to have lunch at the waterfall. The fall is nice but rather small. Being surrounded by lots of large square boulders, it was easy to set up our backpacking stove to heat up lunch. But there was this unpleasant odor the entire break that kept wafting past. I couldn’t tell if it were coming off the water or somewhere else. As we packed up, I noticed toilet paper among the leaves right below where we were sitting. Just disgusting! And within feet of the water-a definite no-no for any trail rules. I cannot recommend this trail.

Ran this trail on 9 Feb 2020. It was very rocky with lots of loose rock and pea gravel. It was to the point at times it was turning into a class 1 scramble rather than a maintained trail. Over all, not that bad. Lots of family's with pets and such passing by, not terribly trafficked. It was definitely not 4.8 miles though, it was 4.3, verified by 2 separate GPS's I was carrying.