Dowdell Knob Loop: Pine Mountain and Boot Top Trail Loop

Pine Mountain and Boot Top Trail Loop: Dowdell Knob and Elephant Rock is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Warm Springs, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 751 feet Route Type: Loop

Today marks 400 miles hiked it has taken me about a year and I picked one of the best views in Pine Mountain.

nice little 4.5 miles

NBD, Lol. Donut, my 9 mo old German Shepard said there could have been more water and bugs to eat.

We really enjoyed this trail. We got a late start but the hike is mostly in the canopy so didn't get too hot. I thought it was easy to follow due to the obviousness of the trail and less due to blazes, but intersections and trail crossings are well signed. Excellent little hike to get you your heart rate up. We will do it again.

Trail is 1/2 rocky with nice heart pumping elevation changes and 1/2 loamy and easy going. The trail is well defined and also has good marking. I varied from 14min/mile pace and 23min/mile pace. It was a nice 65* F for early spring, and the trees were just budding, so great views of surrounding hills and could see downvalley almost a 1/2 mile. Lots of birds and squirrels, and saw a very fast black snake.

Very scenic trail and also pretty rocky. Saw lots of wildflowers and song birds. Some parts of the trail were narrow, steep and rocky but manageable. One small waterfall and a creek crossing.

Trail was very easy to follow. It has great views and a nice pass through a small Creek and mini..very mini fall, but a fan of very rocky trails. Had some good inclines to get you pumping a little but nothing too strenuous. good hike

Good trail with nice scenery. Well marked. Moderate ranking is accurate. Nothing too hard to get up and over. Elevation changes all have gradual slopes and switchbacks.

Great little hike. My husband and I did this loop in the morning in two hours (almost exactly; down to the minute!) in the morning. Moderate is a good rating; steady climbs, not too steep. Some spots with a little bit tricky footing, mostly due to leaves covering the trail. I will say that some spots are not clearly hashed and the trail could be a little difficult to see. We took the trail west initially, followed the loop north, took Boottop back east, then looped back south. As other users have said, I would definitely recommend doing this hike when there are no leaves on the trees; great views all along the ridge but would not have been visible if it was spring or summer. Also, wonderful post-Christmas hangover hike.

Had a great time hiking the trail this afternoon. I am I'm prepping to do the whole Pine Mountain Trail in one day. I look forward to coming back to this part of the trail because I believe it to have the best vista

Thu Oct 04 2018

Lovely hike that wasn’t too difficult for my level, despite just getting over being sick. There were some slightly sketchy bouldering moments, but the views of the ridge throughout the hike and at the lookout point (near parking) made it worth it. I think it’ll be even better when the leaves are off the trees and visibility is even farther.

Mon Oct 01 2018

amazing fall colors

Sun Sep 02 2018

Nice hike, not difficult but steady.

Tue Aug 28 2018

Did this hike last Sunday afternoon. The colors were lovely and the weather, although warm, permitted this hike. I'm 6 months pregnant and we had our little dog. The total time for us was 2 hrs 15 mins. We started the loop to the right. This route consisted of lots of larger rocks and a more overgrown path, leading down into a lower elevation. There were a few bugs but no big webs to avoid. Once you cross back over the main road, the path heads north a bit, elevation changes throughout. This half of the trail is more open. The last part of the trail includes a small campground and a waterfall. A small portion of the trail meanders alongside a cliff, which would be difficult for anyone hiking w children. Overall the hike was a great workout. The downside to this hike is that there are no good overlook views along the way. Not really any good resting or stopping points. The nice part of the hike was that we did not encounter any hikers the entire loop, which makes for a more peaceful hike if you're looking for that. The view from the parking lot overlook is nice, but these views are nothing in comparison to the views in north Georgia.

Mon Mar 19 2018

Great Trail, super views.

Sat Mar 03 2018

Nice hike, great little workout work some good inclines. Watch your step with the rocks! Keep your eyes open or you will miss elephant rock. The trail is marked good.

Fri Jan 26 2018

This is a fun and scenic little loop trail in an awesome part of Georgia! Longleaf pine and mountain laurel are juxtaposed against a rugged landscape! Pine Mountain rules!

Wed Jan 24 2018

Beautiful quick hike that allows for a stunning view from the highest point in the park. Park and trail were overall easy to navigate. The trail starts at the peak where a large statue of FDR sits alongside the parking lot. Trail is overall fairly easy with a few small inclines along the way. Perfect for beginner hikers or those just looking for a nice peaceful day hike. Trail also connects with the Pine Mountain Trail which is the main trail that runs through the park. So if you're looking for higher mileage, you can certainly do so by following parts of this trail off the Dowdell Knob Trail. Because Dowdell Knob Trail shares parts of the Pine Mountain Trail you'll be seeing blue and/or white blazes throughout the hike. After the hike I highly recommend driving over to nearby LaGrange and trying out the Wild Leap Brewery! Great selection of beer!

Mon Jan 15 2018

I love this trail. It is rated as moderate but was very challenging for me. I am 58 and just getting back into shape. However, there were many folks who passed us so for most I think the moderate rating is accurate. Beautiful views! Lots of rocks and roots. Lots of inclines and some steep. One incline was kind of scary due to the very steep side. But I did it, will do it again and recommend it to everyone!

Mon Oct 16 2017

This trail had some great views and great history.

Mon Aug 28 2017

A great trail with a lot of history. Be sure to go to the highest point and see the statue of Franklin Roosevelt. The trail is well blazed; however, you will go from Blue to White on the blazes. This is a bit confusing. we loved it overall.

Sat Feb 11 2017

4.3 mile trail, turned to right in valley section and crossed road. After crossing creek go left up onto the small ledge area. Trail isn't marked very well after crossing creek, and there is a well used trail to the right. Maybe next time I'll go the right just to see where it goes.

Tue Nov 22 2016

Definitely would recommend for anyone !!!