Panther Creek Trail

Panther Creek Trail is a 11.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Turnerville, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2089 feet

beach

Panther Creek Trail is along US 441, 14 miles North of Cornelia. Turn left, following the sign, onto Glen Hardman Road. Immediately take a right onto Old 441; signs for the trailhead are in 1 mile. There is a $4 parking fee in the recreation parking area if the free parking on the side of the road is full.

It's actually about 7.5 miles round trip. Love this hike because it's an actual hike, not a walk. Lots of scrambling over rocks, roots, etc. but plenty of chances to cool off in the creek and the falls at the end are beautiful. Many campsites, would be a great overnight. We saw lots of dogs, but personally I'm glad I didn't have mine because she pulls and would pull me right off a cliff. Recommend in the summer for swimming!

I went there with my boyfriend and cocker spaniel. It was a challenging walk to the waterfall. Some areas were steep going up or down. It’s helpful to have walking poles or a large stick for stability. Wear some good hiking boots!!! When you get close to the waterfall the walk down is incredibly steep so be careful! There were a ton of campsites on the way to the waterfall. Although it says to keep your dog on a leash, if your dog would pull you, don’t bring them.

This trail to the waterfall is 3.5 miles each way. Total 7 miles which kicked my butt on the way back. Getting to fall was a very nice view. I'd say you'd need to be in a bit shape to do this trail. Very good tent camp sites near or right in front of the water. I believe at 3 miles to the falls is a very nice tent camp site that I liked and hopefully can do soon. There is some tight spots while hiking thru all these routes you see a long the way. Be very careful. Some cables to hold on were down so I had to grab myself from some tree routs on the floor lol. Pretty scary but awesome and challenging. Once you're about to get to the falls is very steep. Again, be careful. There is no way I would take my 2 dogs with me on this hike. Glad we didn't bring them. Make sure you don't wear flip flops or regular tennis shoes! You definitely need hiking boots for this one. Be ready with your bathing suit as once you get to the falls you can jump right in and cool off and take a swim. We loved this hike! it was amazing! Good workout too! I'd definitelt recommend this trail.

love this place

Love this hike, I’ve done it 3 times now!

Super beautiful view. The hike is a bit tough at times with a big pack. Day hike highly recommend.
#leavenotrace

This is a great hike. To the falls and back is about 7 miles it’s very scenic along the way with some technical spots. Bring a hammock and and enjoy the waterfall it’s a great place to take a dip and cool off before heading back. Lots of great camping sites along this trail too. The last section to get down to the falls is a little steep and the hand railings with cables came out of the ground so be careful especially if hiking with a dog or small child.

beautiful to difficult in places to really run or jog but a great hike water proof boots would be good especially if it's been raining

This trail is a must if you enjoy hiking. The sounds of rushing water as you’re hiking is so peaceful. Some parts of this trail are steep as you approach the waterfall. I recommend hiking boots and not sneakers! This is my favorite trail so far... it’s beautiful.

awesome place to hike. Beautiful scenery and the sounds of the water follow you through the hike.

Very nice and diferente scene true the trail love it

This hike had plenty of beautiful scenery. Just don't misstep while you are looking at it. Trail can be very technical in spots and should probably be rated as hard for that fact. Great day hike though.

I can’t imagine anyone saying anything negative about hiking at Panther Creek Falls other than the growing amount of trash I see there each time I hit the trail.
There is quite a bit a blowdown but the effort made to clean it up is obvious. The trail is fairly wide open and easy to navigate. I would recommend a good pair of boots and not sneakers that you use to run to the grocery store.

This is hands down the best hike in the state of Georgia for those who like a spectacular challenge with a big payoff. I love to backpack this one, especially in the warmer months so I can take a dip and cool off in the falls.

beautiful trail. lots of scenery and terrain changes. followed the river except where fallen trees caused reroutes. however, about 4 miles in, the fallen trees become impassible so you can't get to yonah falls. clearly there is maintenance of the trail going on. otherwise, well marked. was quiet with only two other travelers in my early morning passing, but it was Christmas day.

excelente

I enjoyed the view, but carried to much for camping. A Lighter load would have been better.

Beautiful waterfall

Amazing trail with beautiful creek throughout. Of course the falls are gorgeous.

great hike, not too difficult, stunning views of the creek and waterfalls.

Diverse terrain, great waterfalls, moderate level

Great place for a quick overnight hiking camping trip. I loved the crash camping style of many of the hiking locations. It really feels like you're in the middle of nowhere.

Only downside was the trash around the falls. It's a heavily trafficked spot during the day (not too many camp out) so some garbage accumulates.

Definitely enter from the western trailhead. The eastern trail has many downed trees from a storm and getting through requires crossing a quick moving stream a few times.

We did an out and back backpacking trip here in October, during the week. Heavily trafficked even on the weekdays. We came out on a Saturday, in the rain, and passed no less than 30 people on the trail heading west-to-east. West-to-east to the falls is an easy hike and we saw a family of 4 kids, none older than 7 years old, at the waterfall. We did not continue to the other end but rather set up camp back around mile 2.5. Best tent campsite we saw was around mile 3 heading west-to-east. It sits next to a cascading waterfall, but even that campsite lacked privacy. Campsites are plentiful, but all of them we saw lack privacy and some of them will have people walking right through your camp. It seems you can camp right at the falls if you don't mind your campsite being shared by many during the day. Water for filtering is plentiful. Hammock sites at the falls are limited. The trail has been recently maintained and the logfall across the trail removed. Two stars only because we like solitude. If you like your hikes to be more of a social experience, you might give it 5 stars.

Hiked from the western trailhead to the eastern and back on 10/5. The easterly trip was tough due to many downed trees on the eastern half of the trail after the falls. This made things nearly impassable in places however after forcing my way I met 3 guys with chainsaws doing trail maintenance and the westerly trip back was significantly easier as they had cut a path through the worst of it (major props guys TY). As others have mentioned the eastern section is substantially more difficult, and many of the safety wires/railings are either completely torn down or unstable so do not grab the wires expecting them to support you without testing them first - some of the falls could be serious. All in all a great hike!

A little long for a recreational hike but it's worth it. The falls were excellent.

I enjoyed this trail twice in 2 weeks and my lab "Seary" was so tired after the day.

Richard D is right about the downed trees being perilous ... however me and a friend (and a couple other hikers) traversed it today. It requires some flexibility and care, but it's doable.

WARNING! If you approach from the Yonah Dam side you may not be able to make it to the falls. There are three large downed trees that are very perilous to cross over when you are within sight of the falls. A friend gashed his shin trying to make it over. Coming back from the falls towards Yonah would be very tough getting over the trees. If you slip it's a decent drop downwards. Not worth it IMHO.

Otherwise the hike is lovely. No trash and only saw two hikers. A stark contrast from the West side approach. Expect a strenuous 600' ascent with no switchbacks. There is also a .5 mile section that is very technical and can be dangerous if you aren't careful. Slippery rocks, muddy trails that have been washed out, a couple of rock scrambles, and some narrow sections sloping downhill with a 50' sheer drop. Trekking polls and hiking shoes/boots highly recommended. Not recommended for novice hikers.

Would give it a higher rating if the trees are removed and made it safer to get to the falls.

BEAUTIFUL, fun trail, lots of roots so caution to trail-runners. Well worth the drive for the first part but warning, if it has recently rained you'll find your footing SLIPPERY as the trail wears on, and the sheer drop offs can make it hazardous to young children and some pets. It's fun and can be challenging, but GORGEOUS especially in the spring and fall! Bring cool water for everyone, including pets!

Absolutely punishing hike but scenic enough to keep you interested the whole way. The falls themselves are beautiful and would recommend an eno if you got one