Panther Creek Trail

Panther Creek Trail is a 11.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Turnerville, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

beach

Panther Creek Trail is along US 441, 14 miles North of Cornelia. Turn left, following the sign, onto Glen Hardman Road. Immediately take a right onto Old 441; signs for the trailhead are in 1 mile. There is a $3 parking fee to park

I've done this trail yearly with a friend on Memorial Day weekend for 3 years. The trail can be rather challenging for those who aren't in shape wearing a pack with gear. The first year was a rough trip for the both of us, with my buddy being overweight and a smoker. I love the trail, the scenery, the nice loud water drowns out my buddy snoring, it's a great place.
Now for the bad. People out here have ZERO respect for anyone else. This past year after setting up at a campsite well off the path and out of the way, we had multiple groups who just trample right into our camp and sit next to our gear. While most foreigners, there were a mix of such rude people. The only amusing thing was watching them trip over my buddies rain fly stake lines and fall on their faces. As much as we love this trail, it's either going to be an offseason use or another trail for us due to the type of people using it now. And as mentioned above, they leave a lot of trash behind without a care.

Moderate hike, most difficult near end before falls. Well marked with occasional fallen trees on trail. Great camping options for large or smaller groups.

Can be very crowded, especially on weekends during fall/summer.

Great trail... kids loved it. beautiful scenery. gets crowded at the falls but a great day hike.

A great trail to explore and campsites to find! Fun to swim in at the end too!

I love this trail, I mean, I really love this trail! I've been hiking it for over 40 years. It is a moderate to strenuous hike that features steep inclines and nice smooth, flat areas. Lots of camping sites next to the steam it follows all the way to the falls and beyond. It's beautiful year round.

In the past few years I have watched it become abused by inconsiderate hikers and party minded locals using the trail as their outdoor living room. It's frustrating seeing the amount of trash they can leave, especially during the warmer months.

The trail is showing it's overuse, but still a magical hike and good way to shakedown equipment if planning on doing longer treks on trails like the AT. I often hike this trail in inclement to weather to test out new equipment and myself. This trail can become quite challenging in wet rainy or snowy conditions. Slow and steady and you will pretty much have the place to yourself.

I would ask if you do decide to hike this trail to please take a trash bag and pick up trash to hike out. Not only will it help keep this trail beautiful, it will make you feel like a champ for taking the time to care.

So peaceful and right on the river the entire time! I can't wait to go back and camp! And definitely give you a little booty burning workout :)

Great day hike

Came during late August, the trail itself had both very easy spots and some challenging spots. I didn't expect the hike to take me as long as it did. The water was very cold but worth going in. There was nobody else here so it was nice to have the whole waterfall to enjoy to ourselves. I'm sure it gets very crowded during summer time and weekends. Make sure to wear good shoes, there are a couple of climbing spots.

Heavy traveled. Trail eroding in some spots. Nice spot to backpack over nite by the creek.

trail is very eroded but makes for some fun climbing. there is a split in the trail that is labeled safe, but the unsafe one is definitely more fun!