Olde Rope Mill Park Avalanche Trail Loop

Olde Rope Mill Park Avalanche Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Woodstock, Georgia that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

The trails here: Explorer (~3.5 miles total; dirt) Avalanche (~6.25 miles total; dirt) The Mill (~5.1 miles total; dirt) Trestle Rock (~.5 mile; paved) Each dirt trail is made up of loops that are "stacked" so you can choose your mileage. Mtn bikes have priority, but foot traffic is welcome. All trails here are directional by day of the week. The directions below are for mountain biking. If hiking/running, go the OPPOSITE way of the bikers! Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri Clockwise or To the left Tue/Thu/Sat Counter-Clockwise or To the right

Well maintained by SORBA. Diverse terrain of deciduous and pine trees, rises and falls, straightaways and switchbacks. Must stay alert for bikes AND roots/rocks. Avalanche loop 1 & 2 take you above the Little River at a dam and another white water spot. You can hear I-575 traffic, especially in winter. Avalanche loop 3 escapes car noise.

It's ok - trails need work and you have to dodge bikes that you often don't see in time

Trails seemed geared towards mountain biking rather Rahman hiking. It's pretty easy to get lost as well.

Lots of biking trails but the walking trail is really short.

There was only 1 walking trail! There was a lot of mountain bike trails, so you can't walk on the trails or you will get runned over by a mountain biker! It was only a 10 minute walk there and back on the walking trail! There were tons of people canoeing in the lake! So I would recommend that!

very crowded on the trails for walking.

Very scenic

Love it. Lots of ways to stop and take in the scenery and you can bring your dog!

I rode the trail for the first time. A lot of fun. The trail flowed perfect. It rained a few hours before I got there and was very muddy but that just added to the fun. Can't wait to return.

Great little park. Lots of places to swim, bike, hike or hang a hammock. A popular launch spot for kayaks too. Parking is really limited, so you might have trouble finding a spot on the weekends, but there's an overflow lot that's not too far of a walk. I find if I come here closer to dusk I need to wear bug spray, which is my only real complaint. There's lots of pools of standing water along the trail we generally walk, which just breeds mosquitoes. I get eaten alive here if I'm not prepared.

Great place to geocache as well as beautiful scenery

I go here quite frequently because it's only a ten minute drive from my house. I love the walk and my dog enjoys splashing around in the water. The only cons are the lack of parking and the crowds. On sunny days expect to park far away and deal with high traffic on the trail.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

good trail some spots are deep and Rocky when you hit the RR tracks I have made it half way! not a trail I recommend for smaller children as you can see above I got stuck carrying my 3 yr 3 miles

Sunday, January 08, 2017

Because of the snow and ice the road to the park was closed not far down from the gas station. Added about .8 miles more to the hike to get into the park. Perfect cold winter weather for a hike, no bikes but there was some idiots on quads and four wheelers tearing up the sod near the picnic pavilion.

Friday, December 09, 2016

An adventurous balance of switchbacks and small elevations, Avalanche 1 and 2 loops are dotted with beautiful ferns in a lush hardwood forest above the Little River. Twice I passed white water below.

Traveling against the mountain bike traffic is no problem. Most travelling on wheels are friendly enough to thank me for yielding and let me know if they are aware of more bikes behind them.

Monday, December 05, 2016

Most of these are really mountain bike trails and not so much hiking trails. There's a couple hiking only trails to the old rope mill, but I'd stick to Kennesaw Mtn or Pine Mtn to get any real hiking cardio in.

Monday, November 28, 2016

it's a fun day spot with the family. Nothing to hard and my boys love to fish here as well. I grew up five minutes down the road and I very much appreciate what they've done here.

Friday, October 21, 2016

Poor setup....not safe for hikers....should have days for biking only and days for hiking only....bikers will run you over! I only gave it 2 stars!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

lots of options due to smaller loops