North Pocket Loop Trail

North Pocket Loop Trail is a 9.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chickamauga, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, mountain biking, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pocket Trail

This is one of the lovelier hikes I have taken in a while! It seems spring may be the time to go; I could still see great views and the wildflowers were spectacular! I passed only one other person and had the entire trail to myself after that. To some reviewers' points, the trail is rugged, but even in my sandals, I had little trouble navigating it. The weather was a perfect 80 degrees and very windy (some of the larger snags were a bit nerve-racking)! The trail intersects with white and then orange and I got off track at that point, but I realized it pretty quick and backtracked. My hike was closer to 11 miles because of this, but I still enjoyed the flowers, the waterfalls, the rocks and snakes. Just beautiful.

This loop is 10 miles, not 9. Recommend hiking in clockwise direction. Difficult footing in several stretches. Very rutted along the top for 2-3 miles from a bulldozer, I presume. Great view of McLemore Cove from the top. Not a trail I'd hike in the summer. Too much overgrowth. Views would be obscured except in winter. Many fallen trees. But well marked with blue blazes. It's been on my to-hike list for quite some time. Glad I did it, but doubt I'll return any time soon.

I agree that it's probably best to run this trail during the winter. It's not a trail that is properly maintained, it had a Lot of trees down. It was easy to see the blue trail markings though so I didn't get lost. You have to have a license to fish or hunt or a Lands Pass to park on the property so know that before you make the trip out. It's very technical for running but I had a great time. I didn't get to do the whole loop so I will be going back. I will probably bring a friend next time because you are very secluded on this trail.

Recommend for winter only. Overgrown bushwacking on logging roads and streambeds. Mediocre views. You're better off doing the wildflower loop and hiking up the first quarter mile of pocket loop to see the waterfall.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Great day for hiking mid 70's. Me and Millie dog knocked it out today in 3 hours

Sunday, March 05, 2017

I enjoyed this trail The entire route took about 5 hours. But we weren't in any hurry. Just enough elevation to be a little challenging with plenty to see. I would definitely do this north to south

Saturday, January 07, 2017

This trail was definitely tough but the views are worth it. Definitely bring your own water.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

My family and I have hiked this several times. I have to agree with some of the other reviews, the best part is the beginning of the trail, heading up to the designated campsite. Large field for a picnic and the kids to run around in, but the rest of the trail is just so-so. Several unsafe spots for young ones. Great view over the falls, if you don't mind getting up right to the edge.

Sunday, February 03, 2013

I did this trail because it was close to home. It's not worth traveling to see. It's a good hike but nothing special.

Thursday, August 02, 2012

Worst trail in N GA. Don't waste your time riding this trail. The trail is not maintained at all...down trees and rutted-out sections make this a total hike-a-bike. The trail guide must have been out of date because we spent more time off our bikes then on them. Go somewhere else unless you're a masochist!

Monday, January 02, 2012

This trail is downright unsafe. The 1st part, which takes you to the "designated campsite" is nice. You'll pass some impressive rock formations on the left while approaching a double waterfall. The creek that feeds the falls borders the campsite & has some interesting remains of a stone paved path that collapsed. Even without recent rains, you're going to get a little wet crossing it.

I couldn't find a lot of detailed info on the trail. When you approach the campsite, you'll see a sign to start loop either south or other. I took south/counterclockwise. It was almost all uphill. Lots of squishy muddy slippery leaves. The blazes are inconsistent and sometimes faded to the point of non-existence.

The distance on the trail per "official trail" printed materials & signage during the trail don't add up. The view on top of Pigeon mountain was nice but the nicest part was leading up to the campsite.

For the rest of my review, pics, trail maps and more - read my blog hikingdiva.posterous.com

Saturday, April 08, 2017