Neels Gap to Blood Mountain

Neels Gap to Blood Mountain is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,463 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Amazing! Even better while snowing. Views weren't the best they could be but still worth it!

recorded Neels Gap to Blood Mountain

icy

Awesome hike. The trail is a constant ascend with some switchbacks. I found this trail challenging after you meet up with the AT. Plenty of stairs and elevation with some decent views. You’ll also find ice covered rocks so watch your footing. The view at the top is fantastic. Feels like you’re on top of the world!

Worth the view. Take water

One of my favorite summer hikes, but I was surprised by how many people were here on Dec. 31st. If you bring a small dog, you'll be carrying it over the rocks closer to the summit. But regardless of the dog's size PLEASE LEASH YOUR PET. Hiking should be a fun experience and no one should have to deal with dogs fighting each other.

Completed in about 4 hours total. It was a challenging hike. Very nice views from the top. There were a lot of people on a Saturday and lots of dogs. Good to have hiking sticks.

icy

Nice hike. Some areas are not marked well. Be careful. There are bears.

Great trail. Really enjoyed this route and it was a beautiful day. A fun hike and was fairly challenging.

We came from south Florida to hike this trail, so we have nothing to compare it to. The summit is the highest point of the AT in Georgia. The climbs are worth it. Pack light unless you’re experienced.

Great trail with lots of rocks and some tricky footing. Not for the faint of heart. Can be steep at spots. We did encounter some mud along the way up. Views are spectacular. Definitely go check out the shelter.

The 360 panoramic views at the top of Blood Mountain make the uphill completely worth it. Recommend hiking poles as some areas are quite steep. Trail is very well marked. Blood Mountain shelter at the top makes a perfect stop to grab a bite to eat before heading back down. Recommend completely.

Started at Byron Reece trail head which led us to the correct trail at .7 miles. There were signs at the visitor center instructing day hikers to park there. The hike was well marked, moderately trafficked, a great workout and had beautiful views at the end. Highly recommend.

Lovely fall leaves and sweeping views

icy

Awesome hike and very rewarding. Get to the Byron Reece Trailhead early in the morning as parking is limited. If there is frost in early morning or there was some rain the rock steps can be slippery.

3.5 Stars. I rounded up. Beautiful Trail with Stunning views. But very very heavily trafficked. Length: Short. You are walking up a mountain with the destination the top of your first summit, so there are not ridges etc. So be prepared it is up and then down again as opposed to doing multiple peaks with ridge lines in between. Condition: Heavily trafficked thus multiple muddy spots because of heavy use. Unfortunately, there are many spots where erosion was created because of folks not adhering to the trail. Very easy to follow and blazed beautifully as the AT always is properly marked. Extremely rocky. Much rock hopping. Views: Beautiful and stunning. Multiple spots to see surrounding ranges. Absolutely magnificent views. Water: A couple spots for water. Overall a great trail and hats off to the folks who care for the trail as it is heavily trafficked and they do a great job of keeping it maintained.

Amazing.

We made our hike a family affair with all kids in tow (ages from 7, 4, 3 year olds and a 9 month old). The weather couldn’t have been better for our day hike on this portion of the AT. If you haven’t hiked this trail you certainly owe it to yourself as a handsome view awaits those who reach the summit.

Great Hike! We took the whole family 7yrs, 4 yrs, 3 yrs, & 9 mo. It took us all day 9:45 am to 3:30pm. We took lots of breaks for all the little steppers & had a picnic at the top on the shelter steps. View is worth it!

Honestly one of my top five hikes! I love this one becase it’s a little bit of a challenge. The views are phenomenal and worth the hike!!

Great portion of the trail and great views. I got there at 8:30 and the parking lot was almost full when I came back down there was no parking at all. This was on a Saturday.

This mountain almost killed me. Ok, going up- not bad. Not bad at all. Plenty of views, easy switch backs, and the shelter at the top is totally cool. It was built in the late 1800s I believe, as a fort. Don't quote me on that, but it's cool as hell. Nice little privy to do your business before carrying on. And that's when Blood decides to kick your ass. All. The. Way. Down. How a person can hike downhill and yet somehow be going uphill is beyond me. So many boulders and these big granite.....sheets with no footholds. What really amazed me were the people, of all ages, with these mountain goat abilities just lightly hopping from one boulder to the other, all the way down. Where they saw rocks to launch off, I saw broken teeth and death. But, I did make it down, and Neel's gap was awesome, and lemme tell you, coming off the mountain that Red Baron pizza at Neel's was the best tasting pizza I'd ever had. Will definitely do again. Hoping next time my mountain goat skills improve.