Neels Gap to Blood Mountain

Neels Gap to Blood Mountain is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Moderate hike up. Several view opportunities. If you get an early start, you will likely face a crowded trail if you backtrack down. i suggest doing the loop which imcludes the Freeman Trail, to avoid. Tried to give a 3 Star but app wouldn't allow.

As always... a great hike. Went the day after the Super Blue Blood Moon.
The day was bright the skies were clear. Views were wonderful.
Left Blood and went and did Yonah for a STUNNING sunset.
Such an all around GREAT day!

Loved It! We are trying to get ready for a spring break vacation that is going to require hiking and climbing. This was a great start. My 15 year old loved it.. my 10 year old not so much (Her legs are a little shorter and the climbing was a little much) Warnings: We went later in the day and both the parking and the trails were super crowded. I must say that although they were super crowded, it was with very nice young people and dogs. Also, we went when the paths were fairly muddy and slippery. You might want to bring a change of clothes and shoes. This is definitely a hiking boot type of hike. I highly recommend it!

Loved it

I arrived a little late to find a parking spot at the trailhead - about 1:30 the day after Thanksgiving. After finding a spot and getting loaded, I headed up the trail with a backpack for an overnight stay at the top. The hike up was very crowded - it took about 2 1/2 hours, a combination of my age and weight, the backpack weight, and the crowds. I passed a guy half my age who had quit an hour from the top.
The winds on the top were constant and brutal. But the sunset and sunrise were spectacular - well worth the effort. Get an early start. Take plenty of water. And make the trip.

(hiked on 10/29/17) We loved this hike. Not easy for sure but appropriately challenging for 2 slightly out-of-shape 40-somethings! We experienced a little blizzard at the top so we didn't get to enjoy the views, but we did get engaged! We'll be back again in nicer weather.

Hiked up the trail today. It was pretty cold, and the winds and snow towards the top were brutal, but not impossible. But the hike itself was easier that I expected and the views and sights were beautiful!! Worth the hike!

This may have been the most difficult hike due to the elevation, the mostly uphill trail, and loading an overnight backpack with gear. It was a challenge but the views were spectacular!!

Great views

Pretty well clear now. Like others said, very steep and rocky on the north side, A bit easier on the south.
Difficult but enjoyable. Not for beginners unless you have some mountain goat in your family tree.

Tropical Storm Irma had an impact on the N Georgia mountains. Lots of down trees and brush across the trail throughout the duration of the hike. Beautiful day for a hike, 74 and Sunshine, low humidity and breezy. Great hike, just watch for a lot of natures debris on the trail.

This trail was pretty rough. Some steep rocky patches but the views at the top were so amazing. Definitely take tons of water and snacks.

Great trail with amazing views at the top. Took my 8 and 10 year old sons. They had a blast.

A great hike! Relatively constant incline at first subsides to a more comfortable hike towards the top. There's some scrambling and one part with sheer rock face, if I remember correctly. Fun hike.

Had a wonderful night up above the clouds at the top. Saw plenty of wildlife, not as many people as other reviewers experienced and the shelter wasn't as scary as some of the legends make it out to be. The best sunrise I've ever seen in my life was at the summit. I loved it.

Great trail , great views , good workout !

Awesome hike, our second time up. Went back through Vogel state park the second time. Very nice trail down to park but a few extra miles. A strenuous hike, hard.

one of my top fav, but if you really want to challenge yourself , park at woody gap and hike to blood mountain, 18 miles out and back. amazing trail.

Great uphill day hike with lots of rocks and beautiful rhododendron thickets. The views are wonderful! It was definitely chilly, with the wind whipping through when we reached the top. There is a shelter and some camping sites at the top. Took just about an hour to get to the top with the elevation gain.

Love the Mountain Crossings Outfitters. Great hike with some elevation grabs, nice trail can be busy at times especially Saturday and Sunday's.