Neels Gap to Blood Mountain

Neels Gap to Blood Mountain is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Weather was great,people on the trail were pleasant! Haven't been up in about 7 years and got to take my wife and daughter with me,very memorable hike!!! Will definitely be back to the trail during the summer!!

Great hike with great views!!! Would definitely recommend!

great hike with a rewarding view !! would definitely recommend.

Moderate hike up. Several view opportunities. If you get an early start, you will likely face a crowded trail if you backtrack down. i suggest doing the loop which imcludes the Freeman Trail, to avoid. Tried to give a 3 Star but app wouldn't allow.

As always... a great hike. Went the day after the Super Blue Blood Moon.
The day was bright the skies were clear. Views were wonderful.
Left Blood and went and did Yonah for a STUNNING sunset.
Such an all around GREAT day!

Loved It! We are trying to get ready for a spring break vacation that is going to require hiking and climbing. This was a great start. My 15 year old loved it.. my 10 year old not so much (Her legs are a little shorter and the climbing was a little much) Warnings: We went later in the day and both the parking and the trails were super crowded. I must say that although they were super crowded, it was with very nice young people and dogs. Also, we went when the paths were fairly muddy and slippery. You might want to bring a change of clothes and shoes. This is definitely a hiking boot type of hike. I highly recommend it!

Loved it

I arrived a little late to find a parking spot at the trailhead - about 1:30 the day after Thanksgiving. After finding a spot and getting loaded, I headed up the trail with a backpack for an overnight stay at the top. The hike up was very crowded - it took about 2 1/2 hours, a combination of my age and weight, the backpack weight, and the crowds. I passed a guy half my age who had quit an hour from the top.
The winds on the top were constant and brutal. But the sunset and sunrise were spectacular - well worth the effort. Get an early start. Take plenty of water. And make the trip.

(hiked on 10/29/17) We loved this hike. Not easy for sure but appropriately challenging for 2 slightly out-of-shape 40-somethings! We experienced a little blizzard at the top so we didn't get to enjoy the views, but we did get engaged! We'll be back again in nicer weather.

Hiked up the trail today. It was pretty cold, and the winds and snow towards the top were brutal, but not impossible. But the hike itself was easier that I expected and the views and sights were beautiful!! Worth the hike!

This may have been the most difficult hike due to the elevation, the mostly uphill trail, and loading an overnight backpack with gear. It was a challenge but the views were spectacular!!

Great views

Pretty well clear now. Like others said, very steep and rocky on the north side, A bit easier on the south.
Difficult but enjoyable. Not for beginners unless you have some mountain goat in your family tree.

Tropical Storm Irma had an impact on the N Georgia mountains. Lots of down trees and brush across the trail throughout the duration of the hike. Beautiful day for a hike, 74 and Sunshine, low humidity and breezy. Great hike, just watch for a lot of natures debris on the trail.

This trail was pretty rough. Some steep rocky patches but the views at the top were so amazing. Definitely take tons of water and snacks.

Great trail with amazing views at the top. Took my 8 and 10 year old sons. They had a blast.

A great hike! Relatively constant incline at first subsides to a more comfortable hike towards the top. There's some scrambling and one part with sheer rock face, if I remember correctly. Fun hike.

Had a wonderful night up above the clouds at the top. Saw plenty of wildlife, not as many people as other reviewers experienced and the shelter wasn't as scary as some of the legends make it out to be. The best sunrise I've ever seen in my life was at the summit. I loved it.

Great trail , great views , good workout !

Awesome hike, our second time up. Went back through Vogel state park the second time. Very nice trail down to park but a few extra miles. A strenuous hike, hard.

Friday, April 14, 2017

one of my top fav, but if you really want to challenge yourself , park at woody gap and hike to blood mountain, 18 miles out and back. amazing trail.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Great uphill day hike with lots of rocks and beautiful rhododendron thickets. The views are wonderful! It was definitely chilly, with the wind whipping through when we reached the top. There is a shelter and some camping sites at the top. Took just about an hour to get to the top with the elevation gain.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Love the Mountain Crossings Outfitters. Great hike with some elevation grabs, nice trail can be busy at times especially Saturday and Sunday's.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Great moderate hike with excellent views and always busy.

Friday, March 03, 2017

I absolutely love this small section of the AT. The overlook is beautiful, especially when the Mountain Laurel is blooming. Bring a camera!

Monday, January 30, 2017

My all time favorite. Did this one last October just before the wild fires were out of hand. Hiked early morning in the dark for the sunrise, daylight beat me before I could get to the top. Lots of campers from the intersection of the Byron Reese Trail and the AT up to the summit.

Friday, January 13, 2017

Always great to be on the AT. After parking 1/2 mile north of Mountain Crossing we headed up Bryon Reese Trail to join the AT to Blood Mountain. Temperature was about 40 degrees with overcast skies. Wind was howling at 15-20 mph. After all the rain lately, water sources were everywhere. Even the summit had water if your willing to scoop water out of rock pockets/holes.

After lunch on top of Blood Mountain we headed over to Slaughter Mountain via the AT and Duncan Ridge Trail. We found a faint trail off Duncan to take us to the summit.

Great hike with great friends.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Awesome views. Pretty easy to hike and has a shelter on the summit

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Fun and challenging hike with beautiful views at the top!

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

great hike with great views from blood mtn, weather permitting. crowded on weekends and peak seasons. be sure to take in Mountain Crossing outfitters