Neels Gap to Blood Mountain

Neels Gap to Blood Mountain is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I arrived a little late to find a parking spot at the trailhead - about 1:30 the day after Thanksgiving. After finding a spot and getting loaded, I headed up the trail with a backpack for an overnight stay at the top. The hike up was very crowded - it took about 2 1/2 hours, a combination of my age and weight, the backpack weight, and the crowds. I passed a guy half my age who had quit an hour from the top.
The winds on the top were constant and brutal. But the sunset and sunrise were spectacular - well worth the effort. Get an early start. Take plenty of water. And make the trip.

(hiked on 10/29/17) We loved this hike. Not easy for sure but appropriately challenging for 2 slightly out-of-shape 40-somethings! We experienced a little blizzard at the top so we didn't get to enjoy the views, but we did get engaged! We'll be back again in nicer weather.

Hiked up the trail today. It was pretty cold, and the winds and snow towards the top were brutal, but not impossible. But the hike itself was easier that I expected and the views and sights were beautiful!! Worth the hike!

This may have been the most difficult hike due to the elevation, the mostly uphill trail, and loading an overnight backpack with gear. It was a challenge but the views were spectacular!!

Great views

Pretty well clear now. Like others said, very steep and rocky on the north side, A bit easier on the south.
Difficult but enjoyable. Not for beginners unless you have some mountain goat in your family tree.

Tropical Storm Irma had an impact on the N Georgia mountains. Lots of down trees and brush across the trail throughout the duration of the hike. Beautiful day for a hike, 74 and Sunshine, low humidity and breezy. Great hike, just watch for a lot of natures debris on the trail.

This trail was pretty rough. Some steep rocky patches but the views at the top were so amazing. Definitely take tons of water and snacks.

Great trail with amazing views at the top. Took my 8 and 10 year old sons. They had a blast.

A great hike! Relatively constant incline at first subsides to a more comfortable hike towards the top. There's some scrambling and one part with sheer rock face, if I remember correctly. Fun hike.