Mountainside Loop Trail

Mountainside Loop Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dunn, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January.

Approach trails of the Sawnee Mountain Preserve's Mountainside Trail.

Not much scenery on the trails. It’s just a walk in the woods. I was perfectly fine with that. If I were looking for a view, I would have hit up Stone Mountain for a close by route. These trails are more of what I am looking for, a decent place to train and condition for backpacking.

Hilltop Trail is where I started 1.4 miles. Pretty easily traveled. I then caught the Mountainside Trail around until I noticed the Ridgeline Trail. When I started onto Ridgeline, I noticed what seemed like a trail going up the actual ridge. About half way up, I lost sight of any sign of a trail. A runner then came up and mentioned that their is an actual side trail to the top of Sawnee Mountain off the Ridgeline. I continued to the top after a snack break. Not marked very well, no blaze markers at all from what I noticed. The trail is also covered in leaves this time of year. I then traveled back down where I went up to catch the Ridgeline Trail to the parking lot. All together I was just over 5 miles at this point.

Then decided to track back up the Ridgeline Trail to the Mountainside Loop Trail. You miss .5 of the loop by taking the Ridgeline Trail. I then took the Hilltop Trail back to where I started.

Lots of runners on the trails. They are fairly wide. Like if as it were a road for ATV’s. Simple to hike other than the loose rocks in places.

I find these trails moderately easy.

Although these are decent trails, they weren’t enough for me. I had almost do them twice to get close to the conditioning and training I am looking for close to home. I will keep these and the Indian Seats in mind. They are doing a great job at Sawnee Mountain.

All together, I put in about 8.9 miles in about 2 and 1/2 hours.

-Stilts

Good working out with plenty of elevation changes.

My opinion is this is NOT moderate Hahahaha this is rough!!! Still beautiful and a challenge

I run this trail regularly and it's really nice. There are some steep spots but overall it's a well kept trail. Pretty quiet too, not a lot of traffic. Not great for views but it's nice to feel away from everything in the woods.

Beautiful day, great hike. Lots of ups and downs. Nice workout.

Nice trail with some moderately difficult hills for those who are out of shape. Not many views but far less crowded than Indian seats next door. The first mile or so that is like an access trail is rocky, but I guess some people don't realize mountains are made of rock not neatly kept dirt.

Good trail, no overlooks but not to many ups nor downs...nice workout!

Rocky at the start and in patches but still traversable for kids. No dogs :(

Friday, December 16, 2016

The first 1/2 mile of this this trail is really just a rock pile with poor footing making it difficult to walk. Not really a hiking trail by most standards. After you get past that the trail is very nice with beautiful large trees. So I would rate this trail 1* for the first 1/2 mile and 4* the rest of the way.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

I live near this trail and use it year round for training and overall fitness. Though rocky in certain areas, it's a moderately easy hike with some elevation change. The trail is well maintained and rules are generally followed (Posted: no dogs) by the locals.

33 minutes ago