Learn more

Mount Yonah Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cleveland, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,450 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Please note that if you are using google you may be misdirected if you search for Yonah Mt. Make sure to search for Mount Yonah. Going north on hwy 75 out of Cleveland GA towards Helen GA turn right at 2nd intersection of Tom Bell Road. Western Sizzlin is on the corner. (Tom Bell Road forms a loop with Hwy 75). Turn left onto Chambers Road. Turn left at the yellow and brown Mount Yonah Trailhead sign. Follow gravel road to parking lot.

One of my favorite hikes in Georgia. Not the easiest, But the view is unbeatable. Bring lots of water and except some rough patches.

The trail is amazing. But I want to talk about the drive from the road to the parking lot!! If hiked Yonah a bunch but drove there myself for the first time last week. The potholes and rocks are ridiculous. Driving 5 mph and swerving the whole way up is not the way to preserve your car. I was in a sedan. Would recommend something higher to avoid damage to your car.

So my crazy self decided to summit two mountains in one day so I did Blood Mountain and this one. Between the two, Yonah was a lot more difficult but the end result was far better. You end at the rock cliff you see driving up to the mountain and you can look down and see where you parked the cars. Where you park is tough, as the road is pretty washed out. My little sedan had a tough time but any car higher up will have no problem. This trail is NOT 4.2 miles though. My GPS had it at 5 miles and I even took some shortcuts that were marked on the map. So it runs probably close to 6 miles if you stay on the marked trail.

It’s a good hike and easy too. The overview on the top is worth it

It was a very rewarding trail however it was extremely hard. Only do it if you want a difficult hike.

Great trail. Many alternate path along the way. Follow the green markers. Be sure to follow the trail all the way around for many pictures spots.

This trail was great. Definitely more challenging than I expected. The trails were decently marked but I had to rely on my map a couple of times. The trails were steep and very rocky. I didn’t have an issue with this trail but my wife and kids struggled. This was by far the most challenging hike they have ever done. The views from the top were amazing. In my opinion totally worth the pain and sweat! Took my dog on her first long hike and she was a champ. A bit spooked when other hikers and dogs passed by. Highly recommend but NOT for beginners.

This trail was great! Definitely challenging and a lot of maneuvering up and through rocks. When you get closer to the top, I found it harder to follow the trail as I saw no green markers. I was so glad I had the AllTrails app map downloaded to follow because I got off track a few times and used the map to get back on track. Beautiful view and so peaceful at the top. Left at 7:40 AM and had the trail to myself until the way down. Definitely recommend but be prepared for a challenging workout. Took me an hour and a half to get up to the top.

Difficult. In some areas it's very steep, muddy, and slippery, especially when it has rained. But it's totally worth it. Amazing view once you get to the top. One note : I have no idea why this is listed as 4.2 miles. The recording I made with my AllTrails app was 6.5 miles ! I stuck to the path the whole time, and only went the route which is listed.

I loved this hike. The 0.4 mile road the trail head is off of is a rocky, uneven and muddy dirt road. My little sedan did fine, but Id be careful if it had just rained. The first 1.25 miles is a breeze compared to the last bit up which is steep, muddy and very rocky. I got there at 7:30am on a Friday and saw maybe 2 other hikers, and had a ton of space at the top to take in the gorgeous view and walk around. On my way down around 10:30 it was getting more crowded, I passed atleast 50 people heading up on my way down. Definitely get there early to avoid the crowds. overall, it’s a beautiful view and worth the rapid incline.

Really good day hike! High traffic on the wkd. Lots of places to tent camping and hammock camping. Will come back to spend the night.

super fun hike. not too hard! definitely recommend making sure you know how to get there first cause google maps took us a little wacky way first

Great views, although I spotted some grafiti on the rocks and damage, destroyed trail signs . Having this app running while hiking Yonah is a must.

Tough but worth it. Stick to the trail.

very underrated! also more challenging than it looks!

My first hard hike. Even as a beginner, I made it to the top. Steep up and steep going down but well worth the view at the top. Took me about 3 hours. To me not enough blazers but keeping up with people helped me get through the trail without fully getting lost. Definitely a hike to do! Loved it even it challenged me.

This was my first hike in the mountains. It was a difficult hike for me, but it was beautiful. There are several areas once at the top to stop and enjoy the views.

This is quite possibly my favorite hike in Georgia. It is hard in comparison to much of what I’ve hiked, and I would compare it to Blood Mountain from the Neels Gap side. Heckuva hike - lots of places up top to have a tent hammock. No water source up high, so if you stay overnight, bring it in.

June 13 was my first time up this well known icon. It did not disappoint. The primary feature of this otherwise boring and crowded hike, is numerous magnificent viewing points from the top. At the top, there is so much space along rock edges with shear drops and breathtaking panoramas, that each of the hundreds of hikers can have a little spot to themselves to enjoy. A copperhead had moved across the trail, which caused a traffic jamb to form, due to the throngs of hikers. I think ideally you’d start hiking around sunrise or, alternatively, reach the summit just before sunset and hike down with a headlamp.

Totally worth it!

FYI; if you are using Google for directions to “Mt Yonah” trailhead and input the commonly used “ Yonah Mt” you will be directed to a gated private road. Beyond the gate is 1.5 miles of private property. No trespassing signs are prominently displayed. Mt Yonah trailhead is off Chambers rd and is a loop. Chambers road is off of Tom Bell road also a loop road off of Helen Hwy/ state rd 75. It is possible to avoid all the perils by using “Mount Yonah” as the search term.

Sitting in the parking lot and seeing where you’re headed, you think o goodness. Not to say it’s easy, buts it’s a refreshing challenge with a rewarding view.

Amazing trail.

amazing Hike. The view is very impressive. you can actually see blood Mountain from the top of this mountain. going up is very steep so it's a hard hike but it's more than worth it. after you get up coming down is just a breeze.