Martins Mine, Cathy Ellis and Ash Creek Trail

Martins Mine, Cathy Ellis and Ash Creek Trail is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Helen, Georgia that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,082 feet Route Type: Loop

Kind of disappointing in my opinion. I knew going in that it was a paved road all the way down to the covered bridge, so that wasn't my knock on it. I did stop in and register and had asked about the loop to the mine and the guy did say that part of the loop was closed. I was hoping it would be pretty interesting but instead, I was disappointed. For an interpretive trail, there really wasn't much other than a couple placards. Apparently half the loop did appear closed though there was no sign, only a bunch of piled up brush. The trail was not blazed so pay close attention when you get up there. There we're a couple spots where you had to stop and really look to try to figure out where you're going. I never did find the mine as far as I know. There was a lot of blowdown where I think it was but, but since I had both my dogs with me, I didn't climb through it to find out. A little further I did find a scree field and another placard which I assumed was where the stamp mill used to be. However, there were a lot of trees down in that area too so I couldn't see up the small creek. One other observation ... not sure of the accuracy of the alltrails map. Around the halfway point of the loop there are two sets of stairs. It looked like the trail started looping back but on my phone it listed my location as if I was heading past the loop... so I don't know. Anyway, we got some exercise and it was very nice day for November. That said, I can't say this is a trail that I would ever hike again.

I usually find the beauty in every trail I do, but it was very challenging with this hike. Most of it is a boring road walk with jut offs to overgrown areas. The trail to the mine is only half open and it's the side that the mine isn't on. We turned back before we reached the waterfall because we were tired of walking on a gravel road.

did not do ash creek or the mine trail because of lots of wet muddy trails. hiked the paved/gravel rd to the waterfall trailhead and then hiked to the falls. we had two dogs with us. over all good trail.

Fun trails with 2 of my dogs. We didn’t go Ash creek or other side trails. We walked the paved road all the way to the waterfall.

Thu Dec 20 2018

Great hike, waterfall was beautiful. Part of the mine loop has been washed away due to heavy rain. So stay to the right and you will reach the mine shaft. Then hike back the way you came.

Mon Nov 12 2018

Great park to avoid the crowds at Raven Cliff and Yonah. Tsalaki Trail (mostly paved) follows Duke’s Creek to a covered bridge and eventually a spur trail to Chunanee Falls (tall pines and the beautiful creek here had me feeling this was much more remote). Lots of other side trails, one through a wetland and another to a gold prospecting site.

recorded Recording - Aug 26, 5:22 PM