Lake Zwerner (aka Yahoola Creek Reservoir)

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(203)
Dahlonega, Georgia

Lake Zwerner (aka Yahoola Creek Reservoir) is a 5.1 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Dahlonega, Georgia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.1 km Elevation Gain: 132 m Route Type: Loop

Lake Zwerner Trail is a looping trail around the Yahoola Creek Reservoir at the outskirts of Dahlonega GA. Beautiful lake & amazing mountain views. The trail twists & turns around the lake & through the woods Lake Zwerner Trail is a good challenge for the casual hiker. The scenery is amazing. There are some challenging areas where the trail gets steep (50%). But to break up the hike, there are several benches, a couple of picnic areas, and two swings benches. The trail between the two parking areas is beside hwy 19. The trail north of the north parking area is gravel. The majority of the trail is packed uneven dirt with exposed rocks and roots. There are several streams that flow into the lake. The Lake is popular for fishing from the shore and from boat. You will see canoes, kayaks and paddle boards. UNG uses the lake to train their sculling team.

Easy trail for a walk or trail run. Pets allowed so my friends and I met here and walked with ur dogs. I’d say it’s abt 3 miles, and it has a good bit of inclines and declines with some views of the lake along the trail.

Nice and long trail you’ll love it! This was our first hike ever and even though we got rained on we still had lots of fun there!

A nice walk around a lake.

Good trail. Fairly busy.

Unfortunately, this trail is currently closed due to Corona. Not able to give an accurate rating.

This is an "easy" moderate trail to us. Path is wide and relatively clear of rocks and roots. To do the complete loop, you will walk along Hwy 19 a short distance. There is a picnic area, although no one was there. A good mixture of inclines and declines. Plenty of parking with a choice of two lots. There are places to sit and even a swing bench, which we took advantage of on a break. We clocked 3.4 miles - but who knows. We were so excited to be outside and in the sunshine, finally! We saw maybe 10 other hikers. Evidently a good place to fish and saw a couple outdoors people in small boats in the lake.

Great trail run!

Ok walk in the woods around the lake. The end of the trail (or beginning, if you go counter-clockwise) is along the side of the main road, so watch out.

Nice trail around lake. Trail in pretty nice shape despite all recent rains.

The parts along the lake were pretty, the 2 road walk alongs not so much. Maybe skip the loop and walk in and out.

Good trail. Easy for the southern half, moderate at the northern half. Lots of kids and dogs. It’s currently muddy and quasi-washed out in places, but honestly, with as much rain as we’ve had, it’s better than I would have expected.

Nice little hike. Trail head is right off a main road and easy to get to, making it a great hike when you don’t have a lot of time.

I was really surprised at how not well-marked the western part of the trail was. We started from the parking/picnic area and picked up the trail going clockwise and eventually ended up on what I assume was a different trail altogether because we were nowhere near the lake or the trail marked on the AllTrails map for this loop, but even when we backtracked we couldn’t ever find where the trail near the lake was. You might have better luck taking the trail counter-clockwise from the parking lot. I’m kind of bummed because we didn’t get to see any of the views other people have described for this loop.

Nice trail with decent scenery. Not a hard run but there are some hills on the back side that will make you dig deep.

Overall good trail! Some steep slopes but a good afternoon hike.

I hike this loop several times a week as my workout. I alternate going clockwise and counter-clockwise. I call the clockwise loop Facing the Facts bc you’re presented with the most challenging 1/3 right away. Counter-clockwise is Delaying the Inevitable bc all the way around I know what’s waiting for me after that paved stream crossing. It’s a fun moderate trail that takes me just over an hour to complete. I can wear hiking shoes or Tevas. I don’t bring water for myself but do bring a sweat rag and sunglasses. I’ve done it with several relatively fit shelter buddy dogs from the local no-kill rescue. Not recommended for Brachys or anyone hw+ (obviously!!?). Do bring water and stop at each bench to give your quadruped(s) a chance to rehydrate to avoid overheating and a potential medical emergency. I don’t have kids so

Beautiful views of the lake. Not too crowded, we only passed 2 other people the whole time. Lots of wildflowers and butterflies. Steeper than I would have guessed for a lake loop trail.

Having driven by this lake before, I didn't think the trail would be a scenic as it was! The path is very well-maintained, shaded for almost the entire duration, and has just enough ups and downs to be interesting. We visited on a Friday just before noon in June, and we only encountered 10 other people total, all of whom were friendly. Given that there are a couple of sections where the trail is adjacent to the highway, I would be hesitant to walk this one with small children. There are quite a few lovely lake views, and plenty of benches where you could stop and enjoy the scenery.

Tue May 28 2019

Tue Mar 12 2019

great trail! we didn't expect it to be as difficult for little ones as it was, but they're also super beginners. I'm looking forward to coming back for a jog kid-free.

Tue Mar 05 2019

good casual hike

Thu Jan 03 2019

Great trail for families Moderate hike and pretty views

Sun Nov 25 2018

Great trail to trail run or walk. Takes roughly 1 hr to walk and about 30 minutes to run depending on pace. Good for all skill levels of runners and hikers. The entire loop is about 5K.

Sat Nov 24 2018

This is more of a walk than a hike. The trail starts and ends on a main road, then follows the perimeter of the lake. You will hear the highway most of the trip. The dog came along and had no trouble with it; generally flat, easy walking.