Keown Falls Trail

Keown Falls Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near La Fayette, Georgia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from LaFayette: Take GA 136 east 13.5 miles. Turn right (south), past Villanow, on a country road (Pocket Road) and drive about 5 miles.

Great hike- go right instead of left for an easier climb

Beautiful hike, trail has many fallen trees across the trail. Poorly marked.

Great trail. Easy and beautiful.

We stopped here on our way from Atlanta to Chatanooga and loved this hike! The elevation climb made it more moderate then easy for my husband, who walks with a cane, but I appreciated a small work out. We saw huge ice cycles (sp?) and several gorgeous waterfalls and didn't see anyone else in the trail. The trail goes through very different landscapes within the loop and offers some jaw dropping views.

Bathroom is well maintained too.

One of my favorite hikes. We went when it was raining, so the falls were flowing! Would highly recommend.

Great trail especially now that it is cooler. I wouldn’t rate this an “easy” trail just because it is short. The right side of the split is much longer than the trail map shows but is very easy. The left side is shorter but more rocks, and they are hidden under the leaves this time of year.

My wife and I walked the trail just after a heavy rain at noon on Monday 10/23. We had the entire trail to ourselves. The rain provided ample flow for the main Keown falls and several others on the return loop trail. The strange spring that looks like a rabbit whole on the left side of the trail just past the trailhead was flowing well. Take the trail to the right as you head up. This portion of the trail is very clearly marked and free from most hazards. The loop return trail that continues back to the trail head after passing behind the falls is less traveled and a little more challenging.

Go for the views! Went after a week of rain and the falls were unimpressive. However, the hike is unique and the views are lovely! There is nothing really difficult about this trail. There were several children enjoying it with their families. Be sure to check out the Shirley Miller Wildflower trail while you're in the area:)

I did the entire loop. I know this trail is rated easy, but that's where I disagree. Some parts of the trail were very treacherous being wet and very narrow. You have to wade through several streams, so make sure to wear your water proof hiking boots! I wouldn't take kids under the age of 8 on this trail. Other than that, the scenery is breathtaking!

Really nice hike. Pretty rocky and narrow. Would not say this is great for all skill levels. Requires some good effort in a few spots. Fantastic views and scenery along the way.

Really great! Some trails get small but that's the challenge

Great hike. Went the day after it rained.

I absolutely loved this trail!

Awesome trail with incredible views.

Trail might have been OK except the bugs were HORRIBLE! I have never had to swat and rub that many bugs off of me. They were in our hair, ears and eyes, not to mention the sweat bees that stung us over 20 times. I won't go back.

The view is definitely worth the hike. Lots of fun, but definitely would rate this a moderate trail.

A fun little trail. If you decide to do the full loop from the waterfall it gets a little more rocky and harder. There's two waterfalls if you follow the loop beyond the first one.

great trail in the rainy season, don't expect any water at the falls, unless you go after a real good rain.

This is an awesome hike. Awesome view. Lots of rocks climbing up hill. Great view at the top