Keown Falls Trail

Keown Falls Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near La Fayette, Georgia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from LaFayette: Take GA 136 east 13.5 miles. Turn right (south), past Villanow, on a country road (Pocket Road) and drive about 5 miles.

The hike is nice, uphill but not too difficult. The falls aren't that impressive, a bit disappointing, actually. However, the view from the top is beautiful. The right fork is definitely easier, I would suggest taking it, especially if you are a less experienced hiker or have kids with you.

Came up here a day after we had all that rain and it just made the whole experience all the much better. I started up the trail to the left (I advise you go to the right, it's quicker in my opinion and not as steep) so anyways I got to the first waterfall and decided to hang around there for an hour (I had heard that the falls weren't that great so I assumed it was that one) I kept walking the trail after my break and now this is where it gets fun, idk if the trail is normally like this but parts of the wall of the side of the mountain were overflowing with water, temporary waterfalls were rushing down the trail. I actually took off my shoes because of how good it felt. Finally got to the second falls (the actual waterfall) and it looked much bigger than the pictures I had seen online, and last but not least you HAVE to go to the overlook on top and see what the view has to offer. I went to this trail thinking it was just gonna be just another typical hike but honestly it became one of my favorite ones up to date!

Trail was mostly uphill the whole way. We weren’t expecting the stone stairs at the top but they aren’t too bad, just wish the railing extended up the whole stairway. The fall is a little anticlimactic but there’s an awesome spot where you can sit and hang out behind the fall and cool off before you head back down. Seemed like it took us an hour to get to the top and about 15 minutes back to the car. Going out is way quicker and easier than the hike up. Altogether had a great time, I wouldn’t want to do it in the hotter summer months but the weather was beautiful so we got a little sun without dying of heat stroke

My favorite place

Great trail very beautiful!!! Went after couple rainy days and falls were awesome.

Nice hike, pretty falls after the rain we've had. I'd do it again.

Nice falls and trail. Well maintained. Kinda steep in places

Gorgeous ridge line. At the fork where the leader trail meets the loop, the left approach is much steeper but faster.

If my 3 year old can hike this trail so can you! Great fun and great scenery!

Caught this doing the John’s Mountain Loop. Falls are running strong, lots of people.

The trail was a beautiful hike. Has picnic tables by the parking area & a privy. As you get halfway through the trail, it gets a bit narrow & rocky. Towards the top, there are railings to keep you from falling off the mountain. Was definitely a great hike & would do it again.

Would definitely rate this as a moderate trail for anyone who isn't used to hiking on a regular basis. Beautiful trail!

Great hike- go right instead of left for an easier climb

Beautiful hike, trail has many fallen trees across the trail. Poorly marked.

Great trail. Easy and beautiful.

We stopped here on our way from Atlanta to Chatanooga and loved this hike! The elevation climb made it more moderate then easy for my husband, who walks with a cane, but I appreciated a small work out. We saw huge ice cycles (sp?) and several gorgeous waterfalls and didn't see anyone else in the trail. The trail goes through very different landscapes within the loop and offers some jaw dropping views.

Bathroom is well maintained too.

One of my favorite hikes. We went when it was raining, so the falls were flowing! Would highly recommend.

Great trail especially now that it is cooler. I wouldn’t rate this an “easy” trail just because it is short. The right side of the split is much longer than the trail map shows but is very easy. The left side is shorter but more rocks, and they are hidden under the leaves this time of year.

My wife and I walked the trail just after a heavy rain at noon on Monday 10/23. We had the entire trail to ourselves. The rain provided ample flow for the main Keown falls and several others on the return loop trail. The strange spring that looks like a rabbit whole on the left side of the trail just past the trailhead was flowing well. Take the trail to the right as you head up. This portion of the trail is very clearly marked and free from most hazards. The loop return trail that continues back to the trail head after passing behind the falls is less traveled and a little more challenging.

Go for the views! Went after a week of rain and the falls were unimpressive. However, the hike is unique and the views are lovely! There is nothing really difficult about this trail. There were several children enjoying it with their families. Be sure to check out the Shirley Miller Wildflower trail while you're in the area:)

Thursday, June 08, 2017

I did the entire loop. I know this trail is rated easy, but that's where I disagree. Some parts of the trail were very treacherous being wet and very narrow. You have to wade through several streams, so make sure to wear your water proof hiking boots! I wouldn't take kids under the age of 8 on this trail. Other than that, the scenery is breathtaking!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Really nice hike. Pretty rocky and narrow. Would not say this is great for all skill levels. Requires some good effort in a few spots. Fantastic views and scenery along the way.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Really great! Some trails get small but that's the challenge

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Great hike. Went the day after it rained.

Monday, May 08, 2017

I absolutely loved this trail!

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Awesome trail with incredible views.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Trail might have been OK except the bugs were HORRIBLE! I have never had to swat and rub that many bugs off of me. They were in our hair, ears and eyes, not to mention the sweat bees that stung us over 20 times. I won't go back.

Monday, March 27, 2017

The view is definitely worth the hike. Lots of fun, but definitely would rate this a moderate trail.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

A fun little trail. If you decide to do the full loop from the waterfall it gets a little more rocky and harder. There's two waterfalls if you follow the loop beyond the first one.