Keown Falls Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near La Fayette, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from LaFayette: Take GA 136 east 13.5 miles. Turn right (south), past Villanow, on a country road (Pocket Road) and drive about 5 miles.

Wonderful trail. Perfect for an early morning hike. Especially beautiful after a good rain. There’s so much wildlife and wild plantlife to appreciate on this trail. Also makes for perfect pictures. 10/10

Waterfall was pretty much non existent. No reception and you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. No one else was on the trail which I know a lot of people love, but it tends to give me the creeps.

Hiked the lower loop with 14 members of our hiking club and really enjoyed it! Yes, it’s overgrown and the trail gets “iffy” in spots, however it is beautiful and not crammed with people. The stone steps are steep but nothing this granny couldn’t manage. The falls are really little more than a trickle, but still awesome. 3 water features and a nice 2 hour hike taking time to enjoy the wonder of the woods. I am grateful for AllTrails as the trail disappears in spots so the map showing your position was invaluable - there was no cell service. I will return!

Definitely go during the rainy season if you're going for the waterfalls, or in the fall to see gorgeous colors at the overlooks. Not exactly what I would rate as easy and for every skill level; I had no problems, but did bring my 70 year old mother. We went clockwise and it was very steep, narrow, rocky and muddy in places. Also several sets of stairs. She had her trekking poles and made it fine! We saw no other people and enjoyed some beautiful scenery. Also, I got closer to 2.2 miles than 1.6 on my Garmin, but we did walk up to the overlook, so idk. I will be back on a rainy day!

This was a fun trail that my husband and I did with our daughters ages 7-14. The first part of the trail (to the right of the loop) was relatively easy, although uphill, but the part after we reached the falls and the lookout was more difficult, narrow, rocky and muddy at points, with a less-defined trail. It was still beautiful, and I enjoyed the challenges (until I slipped on the rocks and fell- thankfully I was fine!). All in all it was a great hike with beautiful views. It took us about two hours, with multiple stops to take pictures and eating lunch at the lookout at the top. I can’t wait to go again when the trees reach peak fall colors.

This is a confusing trail system if you have older maps. Tried to get to the falls late today before dark, but was unsuccessful. I tried following what turns out to be an old trailblazer, but it led to a dead end. Too bad, because I could hear the falls upstream, pretty loudly. Hope to come back and explore more soon.

Addendum: Got to go back and finish the trail. The falls are pretty when it rains. I got soaked, but it was worth it. There were pretty steep parts of the descent around the south loop below the lower falls.

went right after we had eight inches of rain so falls we're perfect

I started the trail from the John Mtn Overlook so basically felt like I did it backwards...first half of the hike was all downhill and the last half was up. Kicked my weak butt, was great though!

Do this hike in the wet season, when it has rained a lot.Or there will not be any water in the falls. Trail is easy and in good shape most of the way.

My dad and I used clippers during most of the hike. Too bad it isn't maintained better. Still a great hike though. Very few people, which I happen to love when hiking.

Fun. Overgrown, rocky, uneven, large fallen trees, cool view at the top. Def not a light, even-keeled walk. A lot of irregular hiking. I did the counterclockwise loop from the beginning. The return back part of the loop was the most irregular, wet, and sometimes difficult to see the trail, but that just made it more interesting.

When you get to where the trail splits (I went to the right) it’s one big loop past a nice little waterfall with a cave type place (nice and cool on a hot day). After the waterfall the trail gets kind of vague. The overlook is pretty. I enjoyed it. The loop is a nice short hike.

Great hike in and out! Combination of high & low slopes with small waterfall!

I have done this trail a couple of times. It's not kid friendly and nor well maintained.

The falls were cool, but the overlook was definitely the best part. Lightly trafficked and peaceful.

The trail could be more clearly marked, and we were disappointed when we had to turn around halfway through then loop because the trail was so overgrown we couldn't safely continue. Looking forward to going back when some of the summer foliage dies back.

I took my kids on this “1.6” mile “easy” loop. We went to the right at the fork. It was not easy at the top and not well maintained. The trail is steep at the top, especially coming down the other side. There was a lot of blow down that had to be navigated. At one very narrow point we climbed over a muscadine vine. The waterfall was just a trickle and it has been raining heavily in this area so that was disappointing. And according to my running app it was 2.21 miles. I would rate this a moderate trail.

Did this trail a few months back! Rewarding waterfall at the end!

Better than expected. Get a couple of great views and if it has rained recently, beautiful small falls. Easy to stick your head in the waterfall.

Take the path to the right! At the top, I attempted to come back down the "left side" of the loop, but it was more overgrown than I wanted to deal with.

Definitely not kid friendly. In the middle of nowhere, and hard to see the trail sometimes. The only positive thing about it was that it was a good workout. I would for sure rate this as moderate, and hard if you’re in bad shape.

It was so much fun! The trail is small and short which is nice and it has a really pretty overlook!

The hike is nice, uphill but not too difficult. The falls aren't that impressive, a bit disappointing, actually. However, the view from the top is beautiful. The right fork is definitely easier, I would suggest taking it, especially if you are a less experienced hiker or have kids with you.

Came up here a day after we had all that rain and it just made the whole experience all the much better. I started up the trail to the left (I advise you go to the right, it's quicker in my opinion and not as steep) so anyways I got to the first waterfall and decided to hang around there for an hour (I had heard that the falls weren't that great so I assumed it was that one) I kept walking the trail after my break and now this is where it gets fun, idk if the trail is normally like this but parts of the wall of the side of the mountain were overflowing with water, temporary waterfalls were rushing down the trail. I actually took off my shoes because of how good it felt. Finally got to the second falls (the actual waterfall) and it looked much bigger than the pictures I had seen online, and last but not least you HAVE to go to the overlook on top and see what the view has to offer. I went to this trail thinking it was just gonna be just another typical hike but honestly it became one of my favorite ones up to date!

Trail was mostly uphill the whole way. We weren’t expecting the stone stairs at the top but they aren’t too bad, just wish the railing extended up the whole stairway. The fall is a little anticlimactic but there’s an awesome spot where you can sit and hang out behind the fall and cool off before you head back down. Seemed like it took us an hour to get to the top and about 15 minutes back to the car. Going out is way quicker and easier than the hike up. Altogether had a great time, I wouldn’t want to do it in the hotter summer months but the weather was beautiful so we got a little sun without dying of heat stroke

My favorite place

Great trail very beautiful!!! Went after couple rainy days and falls were awesome.

Nice hike, pretty falls after the rain we've had. I'd do it again.

Nice falls and trail. Well maintained. Kinda steep in places

Gorgeous ridge line. At the fork where the leader trail meets the loop, the left approach is much steeper but faster.

If my 3 year old can hike this trail so can you! Great fun and great scenery!

Caught this doing the John’s Mountain Loop. Falls are running strong, lots of people.