Kennesaw Mountain Overlook via West and East Trails

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(577)
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park

Kennesaw Mountain Overlook via West and East Trails is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kennesaw, Georgia that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,023 feet Route Type: Loop

We loved this route. I’m not sure if it was recommended to go up the mountain immediately, but that’s what we did. I’m kinda glad because we got poured on in the second half. Beautiful way to get some miles in. Can’t wait to explore more of this park!

Really nice and heavily trafficked trail. Ended up going the reverse of this and glad I did. Was able to finish with a nice 2.5 miles of easy walking as opposed to finishing with uphill. Well shaded. Try and get out early to beat the crowd!

Great trail and great view. If you are going to hike it on the weekend, you need to get out there early since it was packed at 12 for us. Most of the trail is quite shaded, which is most appreciated. We ended up seeing a great number of deer and birds as well.

I've been to up Kennesaw mountain many times, it's a good hike up but it's been so overly used that the formations has become overly rocky and over used. That nice and quiet hike you want during the weekends are gone, due it being such a popular and overly populated trail.

First part of the loop is good elevation and rest is just plain trail. It’s good for up hill running

Super crowded on NYD 2020. Lots of families with kids and pups. Sunny but was unusually windy. Trail was dry. Clear 360 view of ATL and surrounding areas.

Wonderful varied trail that is great for dogs and kids. A little crowded on a nice day in early December, but definitely worth the outing.

Idk what to tell ya. It’s a lil’ mountain with a short pleasant hike, heavily trafficked. The museum has lots of signs saying things like “you are standing on hallowed ground” and a gift shop where you can purchase little teddy bears dressed as Confederate soldiers, if that’s your thing. This Yankee found it all rather, uh, educational. The trees were nice enough.

Pretty steep inclines for the first mile but after that it’s a breeze

Beautiful hike this morning, but a bit cloudy at the top so the views were minimal. 1/3 of the trail is very rocky and steep so absolutely necessary to wear hiking shoes or trail runners. Perfect distance for a great work out and numerous views of wildlife.

We visited September 24, around 11 am. We did the loop counter-clockwise (steep section first). We went slowly, but with a 25-lb baby on my back, I never felt unsafe or exhausted. The inclines are pretty short. The views of the city are good, but I guess that's just not what impresses me about a hike. I would rather have a pretty route than a pretty destination. There isn't as much shade from the forest as I anticipated. The trails are well-maintained and clearly marked with signs at intersections. We saw quite a few people hiking Big and Little Kennesaw, but very few people on the Pigeon Hill decline side. We saw a couple of fearless deer, one just chillin between cannons.

I love the experience! Very challenging at first but worth it all

Love this loop trail. 5.8 miles and if you head up to the lookout first, the worst/hardest part is almost over! It’s challenging in the heat and humidity of Atlanta summers, but you don’t feel like you’re anywhere near the city. Takes 2 hours and don’t forget water and bug spray. I would not take children or people who are not fit and confident on the almost 6 mile trail. Dress for it! We saw a lady in jeans and Keds - she was MISERABLE!

Did the steep section 1st. Lots of deer today. Really enjoyed the large boulders after the smaller peak.

Sun Apr 14 2019

935 breaths

Sat Mar 16 2019

The first mile is an absolute beast. If you start off to the right of the visitor center it's straight up for about a mile to the overlook, very strenuous and difficult. After that it goes sharply down, sharply up, and down again through rugged, rocky terrain for about a 1.5 miles. After that it's easy going though, approx. 2.5-3 miles of fairly even trail. Not for beginners, the whole 5 mile loop is exhausting, but worth it. Gorgeous views at the top of the mountain.

Mon Mar 04 2019

Most famous in the area for a reason. Breathtaking in more ways than one.

Great hike as always

Sun Feb 24 2019

An awesome trail I have always started and never finished it. Started off easy got to one point that was hard but with my hubby and son, I was able to go forth. Would so do it again.

Great trail should have started it earlier in the day started to get dark on the way down

Fri Feb 08 2019

Great hike! Wonderful views. Pretty rugged terrain which is a nice change. Went to the right of the visitor center to start and it’s straight up for awhile. Easy coming back though!!

Sat Feb 02 2019

Very nice trail! I would rate as moderate-hard because of some bigger steps up and a decent amount of elevation change. We went on the first 60 degree day of the season and it was a really crowded, we couldn’t even find a place to park! The lookout was pretty and the trail was well kept. A few areas were single width.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Nice trail with 10 and 12 year olds.

Fri Jun 22 2018

First mile is the hardest and then it gets easier as you go. Bring plenty of water if going in the summer.

Thu Dec 28 2017

Awesome view, saw deer. Strenuous, but short