Learn more

James E. Edmond Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.4 mi Elevation gain 2,050 ft Route type Loop

Blowdown

Description
Waypoints (0)
Tips

Please note there is a $5.00 parking fee. This trail is closed Dec 18 - March 15th due to winter. Great trail that is not nearly as popular as it should be. There are two short spurs that go around the lake and to an overlook. These are not marked as clearly as they could be, so it would be worthwhile to download the map. Apart from the overlook, most of the trail is through the forest without much in the way of views, but the trail is still beautiful, with many picturesque streams and rivers. For the most part the trail was very well maintained, but some did portions require a little bit of care. There are two difficult climbs of about a mile each.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (308)
Photos (526)
Recordings (217)
Completed (476)
Bruce Rains
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingBlowdownGreat!MuddyOver grownRocky

Loved this trail. This is a hard trail, but what makes it hard is that you have nearly 1000 feet of climb your last 2 miles. So if you are tired at that point, it will be a challenge to finish off the hike since you are getting that incline at the end. This hike is not for a novice or casual hiker. I do think you should be a regular hiker, or at least in good shape. The trail is a mix of rocky and rooty with smooth parts. There were quite a few blow downs along the way. Had to step over and around a lot of fallen trees across the path. Many parts of the trail are narrow. But there is a nice stream and a lot of little waterfalls along the way. Lots of quaint wooden bridges as well. And the Lookoff Mountain Overlook at the end is a great view. I saw one review by someone that said it wasn't much of a view. Not sure what that was about. I thought it was great. I only saw a few people along the way. I did see a few deer which was cool. I almost got one doe to come over to me. Plenty of parking if you get there decently early. I got there at about 10am and there were a decent number of spots. You have to pay $5 but it's on the honor system. You grab an envelope and drop the money in a drop box and put your pass in your windshield. All in all a challenging hike but worth it.

John Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingRocky

Great trail, but lots of elevation. A wonderful run

Lauma Brīvība
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

It was definitely difficult. A lot of ups and downs. I started early (around 8 am) and saw only few people (that was nice). Nice view at the end, many mushrooms, but defiantly not my favorite hike.

Norman Hicks Sr.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

Today was a struggle. I hiked this trail a year ago and while it was quite a workout it didn’t hurt me as bad as it did today. I started down at the lake today, so at least bailing out was an option. I wasn’t feeling 100% when we started and by late afternoon I was just pretty much done.

View Norman's Recording
John Foreman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

Did it on a pretty hot and humid day. Started at 8:05 AM on a Saturday and pretty much had the trail to ourselves. Finished at 12:21 with about a half hour stop for lunch at the top at 10:00. I definitely would not say “no shortage of views.” There is really only one view at the very end, and it’s a bit of a let down with the trucking facility and the noise from the traffic. Surprised this trail was rated so highly TBH. It’s a bit of a slog for a pretty mediocre view. There’s a waterfall, but not one you’d make the trek for. If you’re just looking for a workout on a easily accessible trail that’s not super crowded, it won’t disappoint. Just don’t get your hopes up like I did if you’re expecting something like a view at Blood Mountain or Pinnacle Mountain.

View John's Recording
Bryce McGrory
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 14, 2020
Hiking

The trail is heavily shaded and stays fairy cool even during the summer. The path is narrow and winding. I would recommend wearing long pants to fend off poison ivy. You can go east or west to reach a lookout point, which is beautiful, and the highlight of the hike. If you don’t need to feel a sense of accomplishment by completing the trail, I would take the west loop up and back, and skip the east side. The west side is slightly shorter and passes by a few more creeks and small waterfalls. The scenery was decent, and the trail was very difficult. I would leave the kids at home. We brought dogs, and that was a mistake too. Although the trail is a loop, you somehow finish the hike with the feeling that you were walking uphill the whole time.

Hannah Blalock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike with no shortage of picturesque scenes, beautiful views, and cool looking mushrooms. But it isn't for the faint of heart! I am going to sleep well tonight but it was worth every step.

Cynthia Fox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

This trail is absolutely beautiful. Hard? Yes but worth every winded, sweaty, difficult step. Its full of roots, rocks, creek crossings, waterfalls, and has a great overlook.

View Cynthia's Recording
John Stauter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

One of my favorite trails in Georgia. Fairly hard, recommend boots, snacks, 3+ litres of water during summer. Beautiful views, lots of creeks, the lake. There are 4 backcountry campsites that you can reserve and stay overnight as well.. Highly recommended.

Jarvis Broughton
FeeOver grown

This trail was tough! I recommend brining ample snacks and water. Check the weather because we got caught in a thunderstorm on while on the East Trek. But this was an AWESOME experience. Beautiful view on the Overlook. You also get to see a creek and a lake. Great trip!

Hilit B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike with a lot to look at. Plenty of creeks and river crossings. We encountered around 10 other hikers, but that caused no issues. We tracked this hike at 6.6 miles, & did not go around the lake. Took us 3.5 hours total, including lunch break. Challenging hike, with two steady uphill sections, but definitely doable! I loved this hike!

Ryan Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

This was a fun and challenging trail. The elevation was enough to get your heart working, and the scenery along the way was great. There is a nice clearing at the midpoint of the hike that offers a pleasant view of the area—even if it is a bit cluttered by some large white buildings.

Kevin MacRae
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2020
Hiking

A well marked loop trail, orange blazes. Many Slick roots and rocks even without recent rainfall. Not much mud. All creek crossings had bridges, no wet shoes. Despite the park road crossings and bridges over creeks it had a backcountry feel. One or two downed tree trunks crossing the trail were left natural. Narrow in places with crowding rhododendrons. Frequent creek and waterfall sounds. Nice overlook. Beautiful waterfalls. The short, flat blue trail around the lake was crowded with fishermen and not worth the detour. No swimming permitted in the lake. The description says heavily trafficked but we didn’t encounter another on JET. Worth it for the extended climbs. Sunday 6/21 Fathers Day 2020.

Shelby Posea
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddyOver grown

Yeah, that was hard. I elected to take the west fork out and the east back, but it doesn’t really seem like it would be any easier either way. The inclines are no joke. Pretty rough terrain with a lot of roots, narrow areas, and mud. There are areas of the trail that are overgrown, too. The view of the valley at the overlook is beautiful. Almost completely worth the difficulty of the hike which is why it gets four stars. It was a bit cloudy so I bet it would be even better on a sunny or fall day. I also elected to take the trail around the lake; which is mapped on AllTrails but doesn’t follow the same trail as Edmonds. It was underwhelming and turned it into a 8.8mi hike. If you want to see the lake, follow the white blazes to the blue blazes (the Edmonds trail is blazed orange).

Crass Sass
HikingRocky

Omg. Love the trail. It was challenging. Harder than I thought .

Aaron Snyder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 4, 2020
Running

very tough trail run. tree roots and rocks, angled terrain, lots of down trees. finish is a beast of an uphill. great scenery. section with the lake is a different trail (blue markers instead of orange).

Kyle Rogers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 3, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike. It is difficult, bring lots of water. The lookout is amazing and there is a small waterfall near the lake as well. Very pretty all around but will take several hours to complete the full loop.

View Kyle's Recording
Lauren Noel Kelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 2, 2020
Hiking

Fun hike! Only a few tough areas. Pretty view at the top. A medium sized black bear was spotted by a backpacker on the trail while we were there.

Emily Ribblett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 28, 2020
Hiking

This trail was VERY challenging. By the end my friend and I were exhausted and our legs were shaking...in a good way! Definitely a tough trail, well marked and well maintained. Highly recommend!

Ashley Henderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 27, 2020
Hiking

This was probably the best trail I’ve ever been on. My husband and I decided to challenge ourselves while we were camping this week and we felt accomplished after we finished! We are in our 30s and in OK shape. Beautiful foliage around and above us. There were several spots to see the creek and little waterfalls. If you’re allergic to poison ivy, this is not for you. I for sure recommend, but you will be really tired when finished because of the uphill trek at the end. It took us about 5 hours with a stop for lunch and for several rest breaks. We didn’t see any wildlife or experience many bugs (thank goodness). We went May 27 2020

Josh Wulz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
Hiking

A great loop that can be handled by hikers of almost all skill levels. A beautiful view at the top and also be sure to check out the lake and waterfall.

Racheal D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2020
Hiking

We took the west way down to Black Mountain lake, beautiful views of waterfalls that you follow down to the lake. Saw pretty wildflowers. The path was almost spongey, likely from all of the gorgeous moss, so the hike down to the lake and back up was not too strenuous at all. It was a narrow path. Being by the water for the majority of the hike makes for a nice cool breeze :) two campsites along the path (permit only) It was fun!