James E. Edmond Trail

James E. Edmond Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,050 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note there is a $5.00 parking fee. This trail is closed Dec 18 - March 15th due to winter. Great trail that is not nearly as popular as it should be. There are two short spurs that go around the lake and to an overlook. These are not marked as clearly as they could be, so it would be worthwhile to download the map. Apart from the overlook, most of the trail is through the forest without much in the way of views, but the trail is still beautiful, with many picturesque streams and rivers. For the most part the trail was very well maintained, but some did portions require a little bit of care. There are two difficult climbs of about a mile each.

A little disappointing the lack of rain dried up many of the waterfalls.

This trail is for experience and fit hikers. It’s beautiful at the outlook but it’s mostly uphill

Great loop hike- an abbreviated 3.5 mile version for my 69 year old mom. :-) Beautiful weather and view from the lookout at the top. Trail has overgrown with poison ivy in some spots. Lots of bugs even though I was doused w spray at the start.

my wife and I did thos one yesterday. We are a bit out of shape but did it in 5 hours. Had a great time.

Don’t do this trail right now. Towards the beginning there is a hive of something that stung me once going out and killed the entire hike and on the way out I was attacked by at least 20 of them. I have never felt pain like this from a sting; it feels like fire and electric shock going through me.

Went from Black Rock Lake to Lookoff Mtn. It’s beautiful view with a fantastic campsite. Highly recommend it

Not a bad hike at all, it was good weather and good trails

This is a great, scenic trail. Some challenging elevation changes but view at Lookoff Mountain (minus the poultry plant), the water falls, the blooming rhododendron (if you can catch them) and woods are all worth the effort.

beautiful trail.. some fallen trees in the trail but easy to navigate around it

Great hike! Not as “hard” as I thought it would be according to the ratings, though there were some difficult hilly portions.

Was a great day for a hike. Did the trail from West to East and found it to be a good workout for sure. The lake was a nice addition and there were numerous people fishing along the banks.

Good trail if you’re looking for a workout. It generally consists of fairly steep descent, ascent, descent, ascent. One good overlook and a few nice waterfalls. Plenty of shade. My wife and I are mid-50s and took the East trail going counter-clockwise. Took us 4 hours and 15 mins, including 20 mins for lunch at the overlook. Bring plenty of water (at least 2 liters). You will work up a good sweat.

Fantastic hike ! Very difficult which I like. It took me 7 hrs to do the entire hike. Now I power walk 6 miles a day but if you are in top hiking shape you could do this hike in 3 hrs. I did the east trail to the west trail. If you choose this the climb on the west side is intense. ENJOY!

Well marked and well maintained trail. There are several water crossings, all had bridges, and a couple of road crossings. A few low "falls" and sounds of rushing water make the hike even nicer. Visited at the end of April. I think there will be many blooming rhodendrun soon, but we were too early.

Blackrock State Park is now advertising "Open Year Round," so no one else will have to repeat our drive to a closed park this past February. We went back today, mid-April, to hike this trail. It's basically down Blackrock, up Look Off, down Look Off, brutal slog back up Blackrock. Tip 1: at the first trail split after leaving the parking lot, there are orange markers going down both trails. Stay right to stay on the East trail. Tip 2: when the far 2 campgrounds spur off to your right, follow those signs 1/2 mile out, as that's where the cool rock cropping outlook is located. There is no sign indicating an overlook down that spur until you're already on the campground trail. Once you have a fabulous time lounging at the overlook, it's just all the way back down Look Off and a slog with no redeeming qualities back up Blackrock to the trailhead parking.

Backpacked over night at lookoff mountain, can’t go wrong with that or laurel ridge, the hike out in the morning is basically straight up hill, get some caffeine in yah and don’t look back.

Pretty cool view of the valley. Lots of straight ups and straight downs so be prepared. Plenty of water sources scattered around the loop. If you have a filter bring it so you don’t have to lug water weight around the whole hike.

This trail is in Black Rock Mountain State Park, which is closed Dec 18-March 15. Check https://gastateparks.org/BlackRockMountain for status. No parking along road outside of park, and other access appeared to require driving on private roads. Will have to come back!

Great trail that is not nearly as popular as it should be. There are two short spurs that go around the lake and to an overlook. These are not marked as clearly as they could be, so it would be worthwhile to download the map or pick one up from the park office before leaving. Apart from the overlook, most of the trail is through the forest without much in the way of views, but the trail is still beautiful, with many picturesque streams and rivers. For the most part the trail was very well maintained, but some did portions require a little bit of care. There were two difficult climbs of about a mile each.

My wife and I did this loop on November 3. Plenty of water sources were available along the trail. I found it to be moderate, with one or two short, strenuous sections. Decent amount of other hikers on the trial - lots at the visitor’s center and picnic area. Spent the night at the Fern Cove backcountry site. Close to water, but the ground was all slightly sloped for a tent. Had a firepit available.

We did the western fork and it was definitely a challenge from the lake to Lookout Point. The lake should be a definite side Trail for you to explore you get to walk completely around the lake.

This trail was definitely the most challenging I have done. It was scenic and lightly traveled but much more difficult than expected—lots of challenging uphill portions. It appears that the trail is actually more like 9 miles, which for us included a short detour to the lake and then another to the overlook. Overall, I’m proud of myself for accomplishing this, but note that it might take longer than other people mentioned. Also, I live somewhere with no elevation so am not used to this type of terrain.

One hell of a trail. I took the east loop to the lookout and the west back to the trailhead. Both ways are difficult, but judging from the descent, the west loop is definitely a more difficult climb. Plenty of water sources on both sides if you carry a filter. The overlook had a tremendous view, pay no mind to negative reviews about the payoff. I rested my feet on the warm rock and just stared into forever. The waterfall at the end of the west loop was very refreshing for my aching feet after that steep descent. If you're trying to get/stay in shape for hiking the AT like I am, this is a good one to test your mettle on. Happy Hiking!

Rating it as 4 star, not so superb view from look off mountain overlook due to the tall trees which were blocking the view but this is great hike for work out. We hiked blood mountain, freeman loop and mount Yonah but I will rate this one as most difficult among them as there were random ascent and descent throughout the trail and its core dense jungle. We ( me and my wife ) took almost 4 hours to complete the loop but its worth visit. Complete Trail is marked with orange marks to help you not get lost in the jungle. There is beautiful lake ( don’t miss that part if you wanna have a great shoot for land, water and sun) slightly deroute from the trail (0.85 mile loop). Keep climbing, Keep Hiking !!! Cheers

Very nice trail. If, however, you are like me and not in the best shape the final mile and a half will kick your butt!