Jacks River Trail

Jacks River Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Epworth, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

My favorite for a weekend backpacking trip. I love to take our dogs! If you start at the Jack's River terminus going up river in the Alaculsy Valley you will have 22 river crossings before you reach Jack's River Falls which is about 7 miles in, I believe. Then you have another 9 miles to Dally Gap. I want to say there are somewhere around 42 river crossings total and the water will be up to waist and chest deep in places. Also, the trail is not marked that well in some spots and you will have to cross the river and wade upstream to find it at times, especially at crossings 16 and 18. It makes for an even better adventure! There were several downed trees when we went last week, so be prepared to climb over and under and get wet. There are a lot of great camp sites and fishing/swimming holes as well. I LOVE this trail.

P.S. Take poles. They make the crossings much easier. Dry bags are a must. Also, after several hikes thru here my husband and I both opt for old tennis shoes. We wore Keens the first thru hike we did and mine fell apart, his ruined his feet for the trip. Boots are no good either. Just a friendly opinion:)

Beautiful river

Folks, I have a question. I see two different maps for Jacks River Falls trail. One is mentioned here at alltrails.com, the other one is mentioned at https://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking-trails/hiking-jacks-river-falls-trail-splashing-through-the-cohutta-wilderness/
They both mention crossing river 21 times but completely different trails. Can someone please help?

Ok so WOW! We did not expect to have this much fun on this hike. As we prepared for this trip we assumed the river crossings would be nothing more than puddle jumping but we were wrong. We started at the Dally Gap. Our trip was in the last weekend of March and the river was ROARING. Apparently the river is a lot rougher in the spring. Every river crossing brought us to at minimum waste deep water. Many times we were chest deep and even having to swim. The rocks were very slippery and the current was very strong. We were 4 grown, strong men who love to hike and we were struggling at times. A few of the crossings were fairly dangerous, but it was a blast! We crossed the river 21 times before settling into camp just before the 22nd (and final) river crossing before the waterfall. A total of 6.5-7 miles the first day. The next day we originally planned to go back the same way but none of us wanted to venture back into the cold water 21 more times! Haha. Instead we headed to the falls and spent sometime there. We hiked the few miles up beech bottom trail to the parking area where we set off down the road, eventually hitch hiking back to our truck. We had a long journey back home and decided it be better to get a head start.

Overall we would have loved to hike the entire river but we just didn't have the time. I would highly recommend venturing this trail in the spring. It's not for the faint of heart and def not for children. Pack your stuff in drybags or it will certainly get wet!

I worked with the Southeast Conservation Corps here, it is one of many trails that I have worked on and it is by far one of the best.

Lots of river crossings which I really loved about the trail, definitely worth the hike to the waterfall

such a fun hike. not for scrubs that don't know how to cross rivers following a trail.

It is a very hard trail if you don't know what you are doing. Plan on staying overnight because it will take you a day in and a day out. Overall it is a very unique trail to hike.

beautiful hike - tremendous waterfalls!