Further than you think.....Writing a review to hopefully help out others trying to get this state high point via hiking (as opposed to driving to the parking lot and taking the paved path). I parked at Jacks Gap (180 spur). I was pressed for time and thought I would have no problem since the reported distance to Brasstown Bald was about 2.3 miles....well, this is only to the parking lot. You still have to cross the lot and head up the 0.6 mile path to the tower...this added mileage makes a difference and I did get caught in the dark on my way back down. Thankfully I was prepared (as even for an estimated 4.6 mile hike I still had plenty of water and my headlamp...can never be over-prepared). Wish I would have had more time at this state high point as it was a neat observation tower and the views were very pretty. My AllTrails app tracked me at 6.2 miles and 2231 elevation gain....so plan on closer to 6 miles RT if you take 180 spur Jacks Gap to the top of the observation tower. Agree with other reviews....lots of switchbacks and pretty steep trail without much undulating. Hope that helps some people!!