Island Ford Trail

Island Ford Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Atlanta, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 902 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Parking available at 8801 Roberts Drive.

I love this trail for in-town hiking especially! It has the river, a pond, and a little elevation. I was able to get 7.2 miles. I saw lots of geese, a Great Blue Heron and turtles today!

I run these rails every day. definitely closer to 6 miles and not 8. great trails next to the river if you are out hiking it should only take about three hours. if you are running them about an hour or more.

It’s beautiful trail, would classify as easy, very scenic and enjoyable...

It was okay. It was cool, the trails were marked. There was a good bit of people in the late afternoon. It was a decent hike, nothing exciting or extravagant.

Awesome day in my park.. your park! Come on now. #getoutsideatlanta

nice easy hike.

This isn’t my favorite trail at all. It’s REALLY easy to get off the trail because it can lead to a bunch of different trails (including a 40 mile trail). We found a guy, sitting by the river, on patio furniture he said was his. I have no idea how he got there. Trail seems a lot shorter than 8 miles and is really close to the highway. At some points we couldn’t hear each other speak because of the roar. The only waterfall is a little water trickle that wasn’t pleasing. Some sort of large sinkhole under the highway bridge was kinda fun to go look at, but all in all there are yellowjackets, mud, dog poop, trash and no views other than the highway there. I wouldn’t recommend it unless it’s the only thing close enough to hike.

The park maps divide this trail into a north and south section, And the South section is far more scenic. The north portion isn't as well traveled, and has quite a bit of road noise. The southern trails offer many places for you to stop along the river. I was stung by a couple of flying, buzzing things, and so was another guy out there on the same trail before us. He said they were yellow jackets, but I can't confirm that. Regardless, a nice, easy shaded stroll. One pretty creek crossing. Restrooms, a water bottle filling station, and plenty of parking at the lodge/visitor center.

Very nice trails, well maintained, beautiful creek and springs. Nice riverside view.

great, easy hike along the river with plenty of rocks to sit on to cool off. trails well marked.

This was a great trail- one side is “on the water” and one overlooks the water & is in the woods. We saw turtles, deer, snakes (so be careful!) and only a few other walkers on the trail - it was peaceful, prwtty well marked, serene and the views on the water were beautiful!

Great views along the Hooch. Great spots high up just slightly off trail.

Great, well marked trail in the middle of Roswell. Variety of vegetation and wildlife. Total trail is 6 miles by my count.

I only hiked about 2 miles of the trail, from the ranger station and north. it's a beautiful, shaded hike along the river. I was completely unprepared, just wore a pair of Chucks and carried a water bottle. very easy hike, despite the heat.

Great moderate trail.

My first time on this trail. I was in the area for work and saw this on the app. I was impressed. The trail is wide in most areas. It is not overgrown, and is well maintained. The ups are not steep, very manageable. There are some beautiful areas down by the river. Several nice springs flowing through the woods. There are multiple areas to park and access this trail. I would definitely hike this trail again.

This is a great run!

even though this hike is Right smack in the middle of suburbia the trail itself is very very much like a rural hike, and for a beginner like myself it's good to be able to hear the sound of cars and also the sound of the river which runs right smack through the city as guide marks as to where I may be, kind of gives me a safety buffer considering I'm new to all trails just learning how to use this app.

This place never disappoints. Especially because of it’s proximity to the city. It’s always an easy escape with some nice ups and downs. Can be a little muddy in sections after the rains.

recorded Island Ford Trail

Easy, pretty walk to the river and back. Traffic noise is low

This is a nice well maintained trail that follows the hooch for much of the trails distance. I would definitely NOT consider it a moderate trail but more like an easy trail.

Probably one of the best trails in immediate Roswell area. IMHO. Slightly strenuous areas that reveal a beautiful section of the Chattahoochee River.

Historical trail around Ford Island. Flat walkway around island with a few stops with signage depicting history of Ford Island.

Trail still in pretty good condition. Muddy in typical spots. Trail flooded around Hewlett Pond. Slippery and deeper mud at far end of River Trail.