Iron Hill Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cartersville, Georgia that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length3.4 miElevation gain141 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashKid friendlyHikingMountain bikingWalkingRunningForestLakeViewsWildflowersFee
Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities

Red Top Mountain State Park charges a $5 parking fee. You can also purchase an annual pass that is valid at all Georgia State Parks for $50.

$5.00 for parking

Photos (715)
Recordings (1,479)
Completed (1,479)
Matthew Gill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 11, 2021
Hiking

Really pleasant walk to take your dog and small kids with. not hard at all. we had our 4 year old and another toddler in a Deuter hiking pack on my back with my wife and little dog and we all loved the nice views of the lake and a easy trail.

Kristib Butler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 8, 2021
Hiking

It was a beautiful spring walk. Crossing the creek was a little dicey, so wear some grippy shoes!

View Kristib's Recording
Terri Therrell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 6, 2021

Gorgeous!!!

View Terri's Recording
Andrew Kalinen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 2, 2021
Hiking

Well maintained and pleasant. Easy calm gentle ride.

Andrew Hughes
Hiking

Gorgeous day for a 40 something degree two lap loop of Iron Hill...

Jeffrey K Warrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 1, 2021

Very easy

View Jeffrey K's Recording
J Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 29, 2021
Backpacking

I parked at the old visitor center and walked across the street to the trail that connects vc and iron hill . Right at 7 miles. Great hiking!!

View J's Recording
Cara Lynn Teague
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2021
RunningGreat!

This morning was monumental! I ran my first race since 1994 (seriously) and I felt on top of the world! I did WAY better than I thought I could. I RAN (not walked) practically the whole 5K+ (it was said to be 3.8 but my Garmin said I went 3.48?). Spirits were high, pace was solid and pain was low. Truly a runner’s high. I finished 5th in my age/sex category with an official time of 39:20.6 (I had been clocking in about 45-46 minutes in practice runs) which was a pace of 10:21 per mile - a HUGE improvement for me since I started running again in December! This is definitely the first of many trail races to come on my midlife serendipity (not crisis) journey that I began taking on in 2020. Dirty Spokes Trail Run Series - Iron Hill (at Red Top Mountain State Park) - was very well put on and they were blasting some Widespread Panic on the overhead speakers so I felt right at home :) Cassidy was there also to cheer me on but did not want to be photographed LOL - Cool people, cool merch, cool race!

View Cara Lynn's Recording
Natalie Stone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 24, 2021
Hiking

Great trail, especially for beginners!

View Natalie's Recording
Roger Stone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 20, 2021
Wendy Chiaravalloti
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 19, 2021
Hiking

Not a fan of all the gravel

View Wendy's Recording
Cara Lynn Teague
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 14, 2021
Running

Virtual Coach Galloway charged me with a 2.5 mile run/walk/run workout along with a 15 minute warmup (I jogged as much as possible during) and 10 minute cool down. I hit Iron Hill for it again to train for Dirty Spokes and used it as a practice run. Finished the race course in 46-ish minutes or so again, just in time to walk around a little for my cool down! I think I shaved maybe 15 seconds or so of my time, so not a lot. I had left thigh and shin radiating pain and a sharp cramp in my right groin, so I’m sure my gait was a little funky to compensate. Therefore I didn’t push too hard because I didn’t want to injure myself. Resting from running until Wednesday!

View Cara Lynn's Recording
Laura L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 14, 2021
HikingFeeGreat!

Same ol’ trail, this time pretty busy on a 80F day and lots of boats out. Nice wide trail with almost no elevation change. Almost no one out at the abandoned campsite, as usual.

View Laura's Recording
Layne Singleton
Backpacking

The distance on All Trails is a little misleading. Total distance of the whole loop, with no shortcuts comes out at a little over 4 miles

View Layne's Recording
Lindsay Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 13, 2021
View Lindsay's Recording
Jamie Martin
View Jamie's Recording
Penny Clower
Running

Iron hill trail

View Penny's Recording
Matthew Blaskowski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 13, 2021
View Matthew's Recording
Peter Zefo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 12, 2021
RunningGreat!

Perfect, scenic, rolling hills for a training run.

Micah Zefo
Andrew Hughes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 11, 2021
Hiking

The deserted campsites and bathrooms can add another couple miles if you do them...

Tammy Tracy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 10, 2021
View Tammy's Recording
Roger Stone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 7, 2021
Roger Stone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 6, 2021
Fruit Jack
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 5, 2021
Hiking

not sure why they don't open up more of the trail to the south/west

View Fruit's Recording
Lori Putnam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 4, 2021
View Lori's Recording
Emilie Wilhite
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 3, 2021
WalkingGreat!

Wide, level, gravel trail. Lots of lake views. Neat bridges.

View Emilie's Recording