Homestead Trail

Homestead Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cartersville, Georgia that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and scenic driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

beach

Parking is $5 at the Red Top Mountain State Park visitor's center. You can also purchase an annual pass to park at all GA State Parks.

great trail had a good time well beaten down wide path,nice seanery watch for exposed roots. l would definitely hike again.

Well maintained trails with views of the lake for about 1/3 of the walk.

Awesome trail with multiple spots to rest an enjoy to view of the lake. Will definitely be going back.

Nice trail. Not too difficult with good views. Most of the river views are through the trees but it's still nice. Plenty of space on the trail and it's well marked, well kept.

Pretty lake views. There is a $5 parking fee since this trail is part of Red Top MTN State Park. A few hills, but a pretty easy hike overall. It ends up being a little more than 5 miles starting at the visitor's center.

Great trail. Nice hills. Love walking through the pine forest. Pine needles underfoot can be slippery, so make certain you have the proper footwear. Lovely lake/river views. Oh, and very cute camp store at the visitor center. We'll be back.

Great, easy trail! It was fun to bring the pup out there and there's plenty of little trails that go down towards the lake so you can swim or hang out!

The trail was beautiful, especially if you go clockwise and get the water views at halfway mark; however, after hiking this one and Sweetgum I do believe they have these two mismarked. I would categorize Sweetgum as easy and Homestead as Moderate. Homestead had a lot more areas of incline and hills no matter which way you went. Will definitely get a good workout in with this trail.

I really enjoyed this hike! It really kicked my butt in some spots!

Love this trail. My wife and I just hiked it today and it is a great work out. Not a strenuous hike but if you hike it at a fast pace it has some good elevation to give you a moderate workout. We will back more often.

canoeing

Great spot for a put in.

One of my close to home favorites. I run the loop clockwise to save the best lake views for the way back. A few hills but nothing hard on this one.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Great trail. Plenty of ups and downs.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Great trail. Hilly. Leased dogs allowed. Couple of points where you can get off the trail at the shore the the lake. Benches along the way too. Trailhead starts at RTM visitor center (camp store) where there are restrooms and a water fountain.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Great hike in October. Views of the lake, ferns and pine needles covering the ground floor. Beautiful. I would be thrilled to hike Homestead Trail again. At a good pace with a couple of stops to take in the views, we completed the trail in 2 hours.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Monday, September 05, 2016

Walk this trail after I had complete a 6.6 mile trail the day before. It was Labor Day weekend and we walk it on Sunday before the holiday. We walk 5.8 miles from start to finish. We will do it again. I thought it was easy on my knees. Well laid out.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

A bit busier than I would like. Nice views.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Beautiful but very busy

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Loved the trail. Carried my puppy half of the time but I surely recommend anyone wanting to know the awesome wild side of cartersville! Nice views of the lake as well!