Hitchiti Loop Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gray, Georgia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

The Hitchiti Nature Trail follows Little Falling Creek, then the Ocmulgee River, then loops back to the trailhead on gravel roads that usually are closed to vehicles.

I am a middle aged female in pretty decent shape. I took the entire loop alone on a Wednesday morning. First off, if you choose to continue past where Falling Creek and the Ocmulgee River meet-you better know the woods well, have a very good sense of direction, and be able to keep your eyes out for trail markers, while watching for snakes or other “critters” as you go. I HIGHLY recommend wearing pants IF you choose to go the whole loop. The trail is very overgrown; you cannot even see that it is a trail most of the way back around, besides the dirt roads... you HAVE to look out for white AND orange trail markers; after a certain point-pink, as well (spray paint on the trees). Also, blue and pink ribbon tied to trees. It is more than 4 miles for the entire loop. I did 6.8 miles, while only getting away from the trail a few times, and that only added a few minutes each time (maybe 3 times), before I stepped back and scanned for some sort of trail marker, and got back on track. I completed it in about 2 hours and 45 minutes. As far as the scenery and all—absolutely gorgeous. Great place to have to hike in the Middle Georgia area! I just wanted to clarify some of these things for those who may go without this knowledge, i.e. me. Lol... still, great hike, great time.

Lots of trees down over the path. Lots of overgrowth. Blocked off about half way, but can climb over trees if you want. Obstacles galore. Good run.

We had a good time. It was sprinkling for a good hour and it was still not horrible. The 4.5 miles took us about 2.5 hours because we took a four year old. He was done about half way through. So maybe make sure your kids are really ready or they’ll be luggage.

Me and my boyfriend try and get out here about twice a week. Very nice after you climb through down trees but very worth it (espcially if the water is low and you can play and fish off the rocks). Wish they would come clean up fallen trees or cut the grass down some so you don't have to walk through vines and stuff. But overall we love this place and have many fun adventures...

trail through the woods.. following a dirty creek. one or two spots to get out on rocks along the creek. there's a cool spot at the verge of the muddy creek and the clear huge river. I saw a couple skinny dipping swimming in that area.. so we couldn't really enjoy the spot and get in ourselves.. the river was flowing fast looks fun. there's some more rocks on the little island between the creek and river just ipstream a bit. might be a fun adventure to go chill on those rocks and swim in front of it . the trail dies out it seems. very overgrown past this spot . I got some weird allergic reaction trying to go thru it.. it went away after 30min. decent trail. only that one spot at the end for River view ... hopefully nobody is there when you go!

This is one of my favourite trails, but it can definitely be hard to follow at times. There may be several instances where you might think the trail ends due to downed trees or overgrowth, but you can finish your loop if you go under and over the trees and pay close attention to the markers. Ends on a closed service road which features red cockaded woodpecker habitat.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

My kids and I really enjoyed this trail. The trail did go through some really overgrown areas. The path was very narrow along some steep banks along the creek for a short while. There was also a large tree over the trail that you have to go under and over. We only went two miles and rested at the river then went back the way we came. The train is the only negative but the kids actually enjoyed seeing it go by across the river. Otherwise we were the only ones out and the hike was very peaceful. Make sure you bring a long stick to move the spiders out of your way!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

The first 2 miles are very scenic as you walk along the creek for a good part of the trail. where the creek meets the ocmulgee river there are some large flat rocks you can lay out and enjoy the view and let your dogs play in the water. TURN AROUND though at that point as the trail becomes too overgrown to hike safely. someone put a pink ribbon in a tree, I wouldnt go past that.

Monday, June 12, 2017

The trail was very overgrown. My friend and I couldn't finish it because we couldn't tell where the trail was so we had to turn around. Beautiful trail other than that.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Easy hike, very picturesque along the water. Several downed trees near the river make the trail hard to follow for about 1/4 of a mile. Otherwise, It was a great hike that I plan to do again soon.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Good place to spend the day.

Monday, December 26, 2016

This trail had everything that we enjoy in a trail--some ups and downs, riverside hiking, rocks and beautiful trees. The 4.5 mile loop was moderately difficult. There is a spot about halfway along the trail where downed trees cause you to think you're at the end of the trail. Go around them and look for the white trail marking and you can complete your loop. Highly recommend this trail. Be sure to take some water.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Very quiet trail, easy, and close to home. My daughter and I hike up to the white trail and discovered the boulders. had a litte adventure!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Good trail. Almost got lost at the end due to fallen trees.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

It is a nice quiet trail. Leads straight to the river, so you can cool off and relax on some of the river rocks. The ticks are absolutely terrible during the summer so definitely wear long socks and bug spray!!

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Love this trail!

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Adventureous

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Hitchiti Trail has over the last few years been allowed to become derelict. It is actually a highly popular hiking destination being only a 20 minute drive from Macon. However, in recent months use has declined because the Georgia Forestry Commission has apparently abandoned it. For years there was a ranger assigned to the trail who would help organize educational hikes. It is extremely disappointing that such a wonderful resource has been allowed to disappear in this way. We need some citizens willing to bring this matter to the attention of our public officials.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Overall, the trail offers some serene hiking and it has potential, but because of its seclusion, it doesn't get enough foot traffic to keep the trails clear.

We hit the trail in mid-August and ran into some problems following the trail. The first 2 miles were tight, but could be followed if we paid close enough attention. However, after the trail hits the Ocmulgee river, it turns back into the woods and at this point, becomes difficult to follow. There is substantial overgrowth and the markings here difficult (impossible?) to see. Instead of making the full loop like we had hoped, we ended up abandoning it at this point and using the service roads to go around to the other side.

Monday, February 16, 2015

Enjoyable hike just remember that if you go in June carry tick protection and a walking stick to remove spider webs from the trail. (or let someone else lead the hike)

recorded Hitchiti Loop Trail