High Shoals Falls Trail [CLOSED]

High Shoals Falls Trail [CLOSED] is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hiawassee, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

closed

As of July 2018 this trail is closed due to the bridge being out. Please check with the Chattahoochee National Forest to determine the status before attempting this hike. The road leading to the trailhead might be difficult for 2WD vehicles.

Great hike. Bridge was down so need to cross on small log or get wet. Well worth the hike.

I have hiked this trail since I started living in GA. I stumbled across Indian Grave Road looking for the AT. Was meeting a friend who was section flip-flopping the AT. That’s what we call his journey.

Recently I noticed the bridge being down and am interested in seeing a repair done. I am currently reaching out to to some Boy Scout Troops to see if can get volunteer help. Things are starting to look good as far as getting in front of Scout people who matter.

I have been in the construction industry my entire life. I wouldn’t mind seeing where I can get materials donated or discounted.

I would love to know how to reach someone who may have “control” of this trail. Forest service? State?

Would love to see this bridge get repaired. It is a beautiful surprise at the bottom. Absolutely one of my favorites! One of my top recommended hikes to most people in conversation.

I will attach a contact email for anyone interested or could help provide information.

Greatly appreciated!

a.j.nazzaro@gmail.com

We stayed in an Airbnb on the other side of the trail, it was a fun hike but there was very little signage from that direction.

Signs posted saying trail closed due to bridge out. Did not get to hike this trail today. Disappointed. If it would not have been posted, would have hiked it anyway.

Beautiful views and we'll maintained trail. No worries crossing at broken bridge! Just made it more fun. Keep your eyes open or you'll miss the turn!

Love both Falls. Easy hike. It’s less crowded to go in the winter but anytime is beautiful

Recent rains have made some areas along the trail a little muddy but they have made the falls pretty fine. I've hiked this several times but the volume of water going over the falls is the best I have ever seen.
This is very good hike if you don't mind crossing the stream in the water due to the damaged bridge. That was really fun once you get in and try it.

I highly recommend doing this hike early in the morning because it does get busy. The bridge is broken but, if you feel comfortable doing so, the creek is pretty easy to cross and not very deep (I'm 5'1 and it came up to my knees at the deepest). You see two beautiful falls and can swim in one, blue hole falls. If you're planning on swimming, make sure it hasn't rained for a few days because the current is really strong and the fall is unswimmable if it just rained.

The waterfalls were awesome! The directions from the app were a little off. Just follow the hand painted signs to the correct turn. The pics were helpful to see the creek crossing in your car.

Beautiful falls! Trail is kept in good condition. Be prepared to drive through a stream to get to the trail head. Bridge was also out on trail.

My husband and I hike this trail as often as possible as we live relatively close to it. This is a beautiful park, and this hike is pretty strenuous for me at parts. Trail is narrow at spots, especially on the stairs.

We hiked this trail at midday on 7/20/18. Our group consisted of 5 teenagers and 3 adults age late 40’s, to early 50’s. I would rate the trail as easy on the way down and moderate on the way back up. The trees keep the trail fairly cool for this time of year. Nice refreshing swimming hole at mid trail with nice waterfall and another waterfall at the bottom of the trail. Water shoes and a change of clothes if you’re going for a swim are recommended for this hike. We’d definitely do it again. Get out and enjoy!

There’s a drive through a small shallow creek and a long windy drive. Decently not meant for a small car. Hike was beautiful. Would do it again. Not too long and not to high of an elevation. Water fall was amazing!! There are also a few short cuts for people who don’t want to hike the whole way

Easy drive to trailhead. Short, easy hike. Refreshing cold water! Will return with more people to enjoy!

Great trail w two swimming holes. Bridge about half mile in is out, must walk across water but there are safe areas. Consider water shoes.

I love this trail...pro tip: drive a car that you’d feel comfortable driving through a creek, otherwise you’ll have to walk up a dirt road to the trailhead, which prolongs the hike a bit. Amazing in the summer, take a swimsuit tho

Trail was amazing. Had to hike an extra 1.5 miles uphill to get to the trailhead due to road being closed but it was worth every bit once we jumped into the water at the waterfall.

Beautiful. Great with my two grade school boys.

So right now the road that leads to the trail head is closed from storm damage (right by what would have been the creek you drive through). So you basically have to hike an extra 1.5 miles up a steep incline just to get to the trail head. But it’s totally worth it!! And the way down is much easier.

About .4 miles in you will get to a bridge that’s out and you will need to cross the creek which is about 1-2 feet deep. We took our shoes off.

About .7 miles in, you get to the “swimming hole” where you can jump off the waterfall or use the rope to swing out. Water was super cold so no one was actually “swimming” but it was thrilling to jump off the cliff!! Then you get to the second, bigger waterfall about 1.2 miles in. Nice photo opportunity.

Also, this is a HEAVILY trafficked trail. Be prepared to meet other hikers!! Overall, fun experience!

The road is closed 1.1 miles before trailhead due to storm damage. The hike up the gravel road was not fun for the kids but once on the trail, it was gorgeous. One of the footbridges is also washed out and we did a stream crossing there.

Great trail !!!

Beautiful

very clearly marked trail. easy in and moderate out. good camping spot. beautiful waterfall.

Love this area. Quiet and secluded camping and high shoals falls has always been a favorite of mine. Short fun hike down to the falls and worth the treck back!

This trail was beautiful and the falls are wonderful! Fairly easy trail, but follow the turn backs to the falls because if you follow the trail straight thru, it'll dead end into private property.

Well worth the hike! Falls is bigger then it looks in pictures. Have to cross creek in vehicle in order to get there.

Well maintained trail. Easy to Moderate stroll to pretty impressive waterfalls. plenty of area for back country camping.

You have to drive through a creek to get up the mountain but my Chevy Cruze did fine with it. The trail is nice and the waterfalls are beautiful! And the last one is a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

Well worth the Trip!! Plan to return for some overnight trips!!

A couple of great waterfalls. Short hike but worth it. Return incline steep. Hard to get to bc of creek you drive through. Many won’t want to do that.