Hickory Creek Trail

Hickory Creek Trail is a 17.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Epworth, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Monday, June 06, 2016

The ticks are very abundant this year. Spray your gear, yourself, and treat your pets if they are hiking. An easy hike and plenty steams to get water.

Friday, January 08, 2016

Monday, December 15, 2014

This trail is an easy hike along an old forest road down to the creek. It is a long time favorite backpacking trail for myself and two small children when they were younger. It is also a trail I take first time backpackers. Once you reach the creek there are lots of campsites near the water. I would say the sites have been heavily used but are still quiet nice. This trail will also take you to some other nice trails. If you hike further you will reach panther creek falls and tear britches trails. The hike out is a gentle uphill walk.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

We did this one this past weekend as our first trip and had a blast. Not a terribly hard walk till you ford the conasauga river then a short section gets rough, then a fairly easy walk back to the trail head.Great time

Sunday, May 04, 2014

This trail can be started from either the northern trail head or the southern trail head. my friends and I took the southern trail head and hiked to Bray field. We set up base camp there and enjoyed the weekend. The great thing about this trail is that it intersects with several other different trails or is just a short distance from other trails. from Bray field we did a day hike to the base of Panther creek falls. This is a great trail

Monday, January 13, 2014

A nice trail, easy to moderate backpacking.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Trail condition is well used/worn but not marked (blazes). Fairly steep sections for short distances. Several steep 1/8+- mile hills without switchbacks. 10+ water crossings depending on recent rain. Will not have dry boots by the end. Sections of trail (100yrds) are inline with stream. Recommend camp shoes or over ankle water tight boots to keep feet dry.

Lots of good camp sites but due to storms LOTS of widow makers too. Set camp with enough light to check above. The Conasauga River sites are well used and can be crowded from south side.

Abundant water sources.

No nuisance animal activity noted. (Rodent, Racoon, Bear)

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I did not complete this trail... Unfortunately someone with us wanted to turn around just when we got to 'the good stuff'.

You'll head down a forest service road (but no vehicles allowed) for about 45mins, gradual descent and very gradual switchbacks. You'll start to hear the water. Walk along the creek and you'll see various opportunities to cross. Pick one.

Then you'll continue a few hundred feet more and you'll come to the intersection of the smaller stream with Hickory Creek. Nice camping area. You'll see the sign with arrows. If you head along the Hickory Creek Trail to Bray Field, there are lots of amazing campsites (you'll pass some pretty cool ones along the way). Locals warned me that there is a lot of bear activity - so be safe and hang your food and don't do anything stupid.

I'll upload more info on my blog with waypoints. The views were spectacular and lush and remote. We're coming back soon to camp and explore for a few days, so I'll update.

I do not know the entire distance of the Hickory Creek Trail - don't rely on my guesstimation - I only hiked 1/2 mile beyond sign I referenced.