Harris Neck Airport Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Townsend, Georgia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Length5.0 miElevation gain26 ftRoute typeLoop
Kid friendlyHikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingRiverViewsWildlifeNo dogs
Description

Photos (79)
Activities (33)
Completed (85)
Stephanie Troncalli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 19, 2021
HikingGreat!
View Stephanie's activity
James Corkum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 8, 2021
Hiking

Saw some gators and a brown snake. Cool hike. I wouldn’t feel restricted to this map, there are other more worth while paths to take

View James's activity
Jonathan Lockwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 9, 2021
RunningGreat!

Well marked, easy, and rather scenic.

Courtney Dunlap
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 1, 2021
Hiking

This was a great hike. Cool history of being an old airfield. We went in the late afternoon and saw many armadillos! Very cool hike and very few people.

Sean Erdrich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 20, 2020
RunningGreat!

The trail is really nice, it’s broken pavement - the remnants of a WW2 runway - so it’s good for running and beginner hiking. It’s surprisingly scenic, the foliage and Spanish moss are beautiful. I recommend reading the plaques as you go, the historical context adds a lot to the trail!

Ray Blakeley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 24, 2020
View Ray's activity
Ray Blakeley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 16, 2020
View Ray's activity
Arron Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 24, 2020
Hiking

Very nice area. You are under canopies for a good bit of the walks. There are lots of trails and side trails. You could walk .5 mile or 20 miles depending on you plan. Dogs are not allowed. Definitely stop at the front for a map.

View Arron's activity
Donnie Rabon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020
Hiking

It’s a very nice ride when it’s cooler. I saw a wild hogs deer and raccoons.

View Donnie's activity
Alex Robinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
View Alex's activity
Seth Casavant
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Very poorly marked trails and the trail map they provide at the entrance is way off. If it wasn’t for all trails I would’ve gone in circles. It’s very hot with minimal shade and virtually no seating. Great hike if you wanna actually exercise, throw on your pack fully weighted and give it a go. Make sure you pack plenty of water and a few cliff bars. Some of the wooded trails are spider ridden so watch your head!!

View Seth's activity
Whitney E
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2020
HikingBugs

Harris Neck is such a hidden gem - I’m always surprised at how many people have never been/ heard of it. I make the drive at least once a week to get out of town for some peace and quiet. Wether I want to go 2 miles or 8 miles there is no shortage of trails/ paths to wander down. When the wood storks and egrets aren’t nesting in Woody Pond, you’re able to walk around the side and back of it which connects you to one of the old runways. I feel like I’m always finding new spots to explore every time I’m there. The trails can be a bit confusing but it’s fairly simple to find your way around and back to the main loop. I’ve taken my bike a few times but prefer the walk. Definitely pack your bug spray, the ticks are nasty there!

Chase Mixon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 2, 2020
Mountain bikingBugs

Amazing ride. Amazing wildlife. I am an avid outdoorsman and I promise you, I saw more seabirds than I’ve ever seen in my life! In addition, I spotted five alligators, three dolphins, and a ton of crabs and shoreline creatures! You can choose several routes around the abandoned WW2 airfield ranging from wooded trails, to crumbling runways and taxiways, or take the smoother paved roads. This was about an hour away from my home and I’ll definitely take the trek again!!!!

Corey Welling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 30, 2020
HikingBugs

Trail was long and peaceful. Mostly old roads and some trail with lots of birds. Ponds were pleasant.

View Corey's activity
Hannah Moyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 30, 2020
HikingBugs

Beautiful birds, relatively easy to follow trail. Quiet. No one else was on the trail when we were. Definitely bring bug spray and check for ticks but other than that we really enjoyed this trail

View Hannah's activity
Dan Bracewell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 20, 2020

I love this place. It's cool that you can drive it and I like how it's been repurposed. Will definitely be going back again!

Nevin Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 21, 2019

Nice and easy

Jamie Whitmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 16, 2019
Hiking

Really enjoyed finding the old airstrip!

Mark O'Dell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 9, 2019
HikingBlowdownBugs

This was a great trail to see wildlife. The NWR is a Woodstork rookery, plus there are plenty of other birds. We saw 2 alligators. This trail is mostly old road from the old WWII airbase. There is a small percentage of completely dirt trail through the woods. But the wildlife is still rampant all the way.

View Mark's activity
Terra Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 8, 2019
Hiking

Great trail but sad you can’t take dogs there. We did the primitive trails and picked up a ton of ticks but staying on the paved roads was great!!

Philip Hedrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 13, 2018

We walked this trail in late November and found one other couple around. Beautiful,quiet and serene. Lots of birds and other wildlife, including deer, beaver, and an armadillo who walked beside us for several yards before wandering off into the palmettos. I did not see any gators but lots of water around for habitats. Other than the ticks, well worth the drive from Savannah or Brunswick. Great day hike!

Donnie Rabon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 30, 2018
Mountain biking

This is a very good area for biking. I saw deer and a bobcat as well as alligators. I didn’t need any bug spray at all during my ride and I rode around the ponds and down the sandy side roads.

Fruit Jack
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 29, 2018
HikingNo shade
View Fruit's activity
Jamie Rosseland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 18, 2018
Hiking

So much wildlife! We saw alligators, wood storks, armadillo, and turkey. A really memorable trip. Not all the trails are well marked and there are many service trails, so at times this hike was confusing even with the map. Even so, this trail is a must see.

Edwin Burgos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 19, 2017
Hiking

Harris neck State park is a great place to go hiking, biking and running. I enjoyed seeing the wildlife around Woody pond trail. I will recommend this place is beautiful and relaxing.

Mike Sabo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 6, 2017
Hiking

I had no idea what to expect here as I tacked this on between mountain hikes and a beach trip. Appropriately named since I saw plenty of wildlife. The alligators were well represented. Two in fact were sunning on the loop passed the pond which made me retreat and a chorus of growling in the lake. It was memorable. Seemed like there was a lot more that I didn’t even do but I saw so much myself. Would like to go back. The walk was all level so pretty easy on the legs and the trails were maintained. Signing wasn’t great so download a map or get one from wildlife station. Bring some bug spray. I was in the fall so it wasn’t too bad but still some bugs.

Monique Gordon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 24, 2016
Nature trips

Great walking trail worth so much. Awesome wildlife. A must see!

Kalin Anastasia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 23, 2016
Hiking

Beautiful quiet place and lots of wildlife. Large alligators and many species of birds.

Carol Chambers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2016

wonderful old air field..ww2....seasons change the birding ....great biking...