Gwinnett Environmental Heritage Center Trails

Gwinnett Environmental Heritage Center Trails is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Buford, Georgia that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 449 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

partially paved

The 233 acre GEHC has its own trail system and links up to the Ivy Creek Greenway. Its 8 mile network of hard and soft trails allow exploration of stream and forest habitats and are suitable for walking, running, hiking, and biking. Trails are open from dusk to dawn and year round. There are (at the time of this writing) 11 trails that are constructed of a variety of hard and soft surfaces. Individual trail difficulty runs from easy to strenuous and lengths of .05 to 1 mile.

I really like the trails here. Sure, I live close enough to run from my house, but I’d drive a bit to run here. Numerous intersecting trails mean lots of variety.

I would recommend this trail for anybody that likes elevation changes, a variety of surfaces, little sun and isn't bothered by the occasional spiderweb in the face. I tried to stay off the paved and well-groomed trails and was pleased with the moderately challenging hike.

Can you ride your bike on the trails as well?

As a brand new trail runner this is my very first trail and it’s awesome still getting use to it having been running it the last 3 Sunday’s so it’s still challenging but I think I found something new to add to my workout regimen. It will be even more exciting when I trail running shoes come in!!!!!

I’ve been wanting to check this place out for a long time and can’t believe what a hidden gem this is! I was looking for a new place to walk my dog and this popped up when I did a google search. This was my first time here and since it was a Sunday afternoon the building was closed. I couldn’t get over how peaceful and beautiful this place was! Very well kept trails, beautiful water features around the building, great place to walk my dog and enjoy the scenery. I took a bunch of photos along the way. I can’t wait to go back!

Beautiful and Beautifully maintained

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

easy but pretty

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Great trail. Educational as well. Bird houses, trees, are all labeled with information on the species.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

You can hear I-85 traffic and mostly paved trails. Facilities are beautiful! I would say it's probably a great trail for people who live in the area and/or city or just a quick walk with dogs.

Friday, January 26, 2018

Loved this quiet, peaceful nature trail!

Monday, January 08, 2018

Great hiking trails. The park is gigger than this site give credit for, with addiitonal trails. Note that the main trail within the park is not the one on this site, but departs for this at the Ivy Creek bridge, where you should go straight on rather than cross the creek. This gives another mile or so within the park, terminating at an (unexpected) foot traffic only suspension bridge. The hike extended for a non-paved path thru a 1.5 mile forest loop after this. There are multiple other trails in the park, although signage is poor.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Great spot for Gwinnett County. I love taking my dog and walking her.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

I had a wonderful experience! The place is clean, environmental friendly and exquisite. The staff is wonderful! These guys really put their heart and soul into teaching, mentoring, and educating the kids while making it fun!

Monday, February 06, 2017

Nice trail to walk and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Great Trail! Loved it. It was very nicely shaded.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Very nice trail. Our dog loves it and so did our kids.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Interesting center on water history and conservation. Pretty meandering trails.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Greenway Spur Trail (aka the Greenway Connection) is within the Gwinnett Environmental Heritage Center (GEHC). The Greenway Spur trail is a short (0.5 mile), paved, point to point, trail which runs along the edge of the GEHC parking lot before it links to the more scenic Ivy Creek Greenway. It can be accessed anywhere along the edge of GEHC parking lot, but its actual start point is by the emergency phone next to the Treetop Quest. From the GEHC parking lot, it crosses an access road and then heads toward Ivy Creek. The one noteworthy site on this short connector to the Ivy Creek Greenway is a small mill ruin (not to be confused with Woodard Mill) along the creek. When you link up to the Ivy Creek Greenway, there is some signage but 3 routes converge here so it can be confusing. There is a boardwalk which heads east out toward the I-85 and Hwy 20 interchange, i.e. Georgia Mall area and Woodard Mill. Going south, there is a short loop around a pavilion, and then there's the western route to the Ivy Creek Greenway suspension bridge.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Hiked near 4 miles and only covered 1/2 of the trails offered at the Center, not to mention that you can connect to the Ivy Creek Greenway from this point. I passed a group of children doing a nature walk on the Overlook Trail(it is paved) and also a group heading to conquer the Treetop Quest(a ropes course with various levels of difficulty). Otherwise, the area was very quiet with no other walkers/hikers. I was especially impressed with the Whispering Wood Brail Trail along the Overlook Loop. Several trails interchange/connect with each other, so beware of the path you take if you are wanting to complete any one particular hike. I look forward to finishing up the other trails and even conquering the Treetop Challenge.

Friday, May 22, 2015

There are enough trails here to satisfy any enthusiast. I stuck to ones around the Treetop Quest, Gwinnett Environmental and Heritage Center (GEHC), and the Chesser-Williams House. The Chesser-Williams House (c. 1850) is only open for tours by the Gwinnett Historical Society on select dates. The GEHC is a wonderful venue for photographers with a fountain, cascades, pools, and botanical garden areas. A lot to see and do here so allow yourself time. Note: Parking and use of the trails is free. There is an admission charge for viewing the center's indoor exhibits and using the Treetop Quest rope challenges.