Green Mountain via Whissenhunt Loop to Toccoa River

Green Mountain via Whissenhunt Loop to Toccoa River is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Blue Ridge, Georgia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,158 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Blue Ridge: Take GA Hwy. 515 .8 mile east to Windy Ridge Road. Turn right and go .2 mile to the dead end with Old US Hwy. 76. Turn left, go .2 miles to Aska Rd on the right.The trailhead is on Aksa Road about 100 yard south of Deep gap. This trail begins at the gravel parking lot on the west side of the road. Visitors can also park in a small area near Stanley Gap on Rock Creek Road and hike the trail east-west from that end.

Enjoyable hike. When you get to the homes at about the 2/3 mark look to the left of the driveway of the home with the address of 68 and you’ll just barely see where the trail continues.

Beautiful for first 2.3 miles!! Never could find lake,Ends up in private neighborhood. Walked all over even down paved Forest Rd to see how to pick Trail back up! We couldn’t find it! Pretty green forest, wild flowers, deer, chipmunks, and lots of warblers!! Up and back 4.6 miles!

My wife and I decided to hike the Wiissenhunt Loop trail with the Long Branch Connector trail addition. On the return leg, we tried to take the upper Wissenhunt Loop portion. PLEASE NOTE, after about 1/2 of a mile, the trail abruptly ended. Do not take the upper trail Even though the trail marker sign indicates it is there. Other than that, it is an awesome trail and we really really liked it. Great trail that was easy to moderate. The moderate portions was an easy moderate.

Nice winter hike through the woods, but I (and two other parties I ran into) couldn't find the trail to the river. About 2.2 miles in, the trail turns into a subdivision road... no clear trail beyond it. After searching in vain, we turned back. Still a decent hike.

My wife and I decided to try this trail out since it looked like it went out to the lake. We made it 2 miles out before we turned back because the trail was getting really close to people’s property and we didn’t feel comfortable being so close. Other than that, we enjoyed the trail very much. Be prepared for the elevation!

This app says "out and back" with the miles. Does that mean TOTAL hike miles, or it is ONE WAY hike miles?

Saturday, June 09, 2018

The trail is no longer a loop. A simple up and back. Nothing spectacular to see. It is easy/moderate and a nice hike but no real points of interest. Personally I was hoping for views like the pictures uploaded but this is a wall in the woods. Nice, but nothing special.

Friday, May 25, 2018

Just back from the lower trail of green mountain. Easy walk up to the end of the trail where you can see blue ridge lake. Beautiful . It’s Friday and passed by 3 persons. Ideal with my dog. Also close to downtown blue ridge for food and drink when done.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Great hike but the trail that connects to it to make a loop was full of debris and was not hikable. We had to turn around and go back the way we came :-(

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Great hike! Trail was clear and weather was fine. Lots of bikers on this one.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

This trail is more on the moderate categorization than easy. There were some steep inclines and rocky/rooty declines. Beautiful fall color and valley vistas. Very good 3.75 mile out and back hike. The loop trail was closed.

Monday, September 05, 2016

d3

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

I parked in the gravel parking lot off Aska and started on the trail across the street. Maybe I'm out of shape, but I thought this hike was a little more challenging than the "easy" rating it has. I stopped to catch my breath a couple times on the long uphill stretches. It was an enjoyable hike, with views of mountains and a great view of Lake Blue Ridge at the top of the hike. Signage for this trail was a bit confusing, but it would be a challenge to get lost.

Monday, January 07, 2013

chose to do this trail as part of our full moon hikes. The night was bitter cold, but crisp and clear. We hiked the trail in its entirety without turning our headlamps on save for one time when we heard coyotes. Easy walk and a total different trail at night.

Friday, May 18, 2012

I hike this trail mostly in fall and winter. There are no exceptional views or features, save in the winter from the top you can see Blue Ridge Lake in the distance. The trail is a loop and either way you choose is uphill. The right path seems to be an easier walk going up. The problem with the Aska Trail system is that there are multiple trails but all of them are marked with the same blaze. Neon Green....easy to see, but can get confusing for those not familiar with the area or begining hikers. All of these trails in the system are double use trails. Mountain bikers frequent the area almost more than hikers, so be on the lookout.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018