Gahuti Backcountry Trail

Gahuti Backcountry Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chatsworth, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wonderfully peaceful trail located in Fort Mountain State Park just west of the Cohutta Wilderness. This trail travels around the crest of Fort Mountain and has access at numerous places in the park. There is a 855 foot rock wall which stands on the highest point of the mountain. There is also a remains of tower too.

Soooooo enjoyed hiking this trail in the snow today!! Was an amazing hike

It was alright

I had a blast running this trail. The start is on down the road from the Outpost. One of the Rangers gave me a map and told me where to go. They said it is a 5 hour hike but I ran it in 1.5 hours. The trail was very well marked so I had no trouble staying on track. There are no restrooms at the parking for the trail so make sure you get that done before hand. It is a State Park so if you don't have a parking pass there will be a parking fee.

probably enjoyed this Trail more than any this year

Nice hike with lots of small ups and down over 8 miles. Several nice spots to lookout and nice stream views.

Beautiful fall colors, awesome hike, and very well marked! :)

I highly recommend this if you're looking for a moderate hike with your dog! It has a great mix of scenery and difficulty.

I completed the trail today (Oct 22, 2017), and the leaves were starting to turn color - good amount of yellow, some orange / red. I expect the place to be full of autumn color the first or second week of November! It was beautiful nonetheless!

We started our hike at around 8:45 AM (Sunday), and we only saw three other pairs of hikers on the trail. It was really nice not having a crowd.

I brought my 45-lb dog along, and she loved it! The terrain is rocky, but there is good footing available along the entire route. I usually have some with her on "rocky" terrain, but this trail does not have rocky steps - the ground is just slightly bumpy with rocks. I felt safe even with a dog that pulls while going downhill at times.

There are many bear warning signs, but we did not see any during our hike even while carrying snacks. It probably helped that we talked pretty loudly while walking.

Beautiful as Ga always is. Not too challenging, a great place for a hike and some history. Various views and multiple trails to fit beginner to intermediate hiking.

We stayed at Campsite #2 (Goldmine Creek) and although it is a spacious site and well of the trail, we had a lot of road noise. The westside of the trail had more water and scenic views during out hike.