Gahuti Backcountry Trail

Gahuti Backcountry Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chatsworth, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2011 feet

Wonderfully peaceful trail located in Fort Mountain State Park just west of the Cohutta Wilderness. This trail travels around the crest of Fort Mountain and has access at numerous places in the park. There is a 855 foot rock wall which stands on the highest point of the mountain. There is also a remains of tower too.

I highly recommend this if you're looking for a moderate hike with your dog! It has a great mix of scenery and difficulty.

I completed the trail today (Oct 22, 2017), and the leaves were starting to turn color - good amount of yellow, some orange / red. I expect the place to be full of autumn color the first or second week of November! It was beautiful nonetheless!

I brought my 45-lb dog along, and she loved it! The terrain is rocky, but there is good footing available along the entire route. I usually have some with her on "rocky" terrain, but this trail does not have rocky steps - the ground is just slightly bumpy with rocks. I felt safe even with a dog that pulls while going downhill at times.

There are many bear warning signs, but we did not see any during our hike even while carrying snacks.
However, we talked pretty loudly while walking.

Beautiful as Ga always is. Not too challenging, a great place for a hike and some history. Various views and multiple trails to fit beginner to intermediate hiking.

We stayed at Campsite #2 (Goldmine Creek) and although it is a spacious site and well of the trail, we had a lot of road noise. The westside of the trail had more water and scenic views during out hike.

Awesome trail with great views and very well marked.

Great hike would injoy doing it again . We saw 3 bears.

Recommend doing this trail clockwise from the cool springs overlook parking, this way the good stuff is towards the middle/end. We saw 2 bears!

My wife and I did about 6 miles of the trail, starting at the campground and getting off at the entrance to the park. Great hike, marked well, but wish there were more information related signs along the trail. Only place we say anything with distances was at the trail head. The map we got at the office was fair.

Great experience, beautiful views. Moderate to difficult in some areas. Bring lots of water and snacks, make sure you keep all your food in bear bag as they are definitely around.

Great hike! Got 9.4 miles in today ! Kudos to Georgia State Parks! Very well marked and trail was clear

This was my first real backpacking overnight trip. The trails were a great range of flat/easy & steep/hard, I definitely agree with the moderate rating, & the trail was nicely marked every 10 steps- making it a comfortable hike.
There are many streams to fill up for water & many great peekaboo views (I'd like to come back in fall to get more views). We did come across a black bear-so be alert, as well as large beautiful woodpeckers.
Great hike & great time!

Did an overnight with my girlfriend and her dogs, some tough spots but overall great hike. Saw a bear on the second day! Would go back during fall/early winter to get more views.

Great hike. Takes a while to get to the waterfall and has a great view at the end. Worth the 8 mile trek.

Beautiful trail. Scenery changes dramatically between lush canopies, sweeping views, and rocky cave areas as you hike. All four campsites looked very nice (would particularly recommend goldmine and moonshine). There were several creeks, but in October they were too dry to get any water from. Relatively challenging with a heavy pack, but most of the elevation gain was spread out. Will definitely be back!