Gahuti Backcountry Trail

Gahuti Backcountry Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chatsworth, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wonderfully peaceful trail located in Fort Mountain State Park just west of the Cohutta Wilderness. This trail travels around the crest of Fort Mountain and has access at numerous places in the park. There is a 855 foot rock wall which stands on the highest point of the mountain. There is also a remains of tower too.

great trail.

This is a spectacular work out as well as incredibly easy on the eyes. My partner and I started at a nontraditional point and it turned out to be a fantastic decision. We went counter clockwise and finish the hike near the falls. I do wish dogs are allowed on the beach. Now that would be the way to finish the hike.

The Gahuti is beautiful and campsite #3 has awesome views. The trail is marked with orange blazes and despite what another review said, easily followable.
The first two miles and the last two miles are strenuous.
Starting just past mile 5 there are beautiful creeks with small waterfalls. At the very end you’ll cross the main road then hike down to a observation deck with a gorgeous view. This is easily my favorite trail so far.

There was dense fog that spoiled the views on the day I hiked, but the streams on the west side of the trail made the trip worth it.

This is a beautiful and beastly trail! The ranger told us the first three miles were the hardest, but the last two miles are a close second! This trail was on the more difficult side of "moderate." It was challenging, but very enjoyable. The scenery was continuously changing. We crossed many small creeks and streams before finally reaching a breathtaking waterfall around mile 5.5. We found bench around mile 3 after we crossed the road entrance to the park. We sat on the bench and enjoyed a gorgeous view while we had a picnic lunch. We hiked on a Wednesday and met very few people on the trail. We were very proud of ourselves for completing all 8 miles. Of course there is no getting off the trail once you start! We felt like there should have been a t-shirt waiting at the end for us that said, "I did the Gahuti!" Fort Mountain is a beautiful park and we will be back to do the Fort Trail. The Gahuti also has back country campsites along the trail. It would be nice to rest half way and finish the trail the next morning.

We hiked this trail in September. Good workout, beautiful views and accessible from many points.

Tried to follow the Park map which was not detailed and confusing, so we got lost a couple times. Really pretty hike with a lot of views!

Fantastic! It has everything you could want on a hike- waterfalls, mountain views and streams. I enjoyed how the terrain and density of the trees was always changing. My favorite hike so far!

Took my daughter out for the day. This hike was a blast. It was challenging in some spots but that was due to the amount of rain we have had over the last week or so. All in all it was a great time and a great day.

We are a couple in our 60’s in reasonably good shape and did this trail in January, after a snow/ice event but the day was relatively warm. For us it was moderately strenuous but hey, we’re in our 60’s. Pretty constant ups and downs but most of that was relatively gradual. No truly hard climbs or descents and the footing on most of the trail was good. A little rocky and root strewn on the west side of the loop. It took us 6 hrs but most people do it in 4-5 hours.

I did this Trail in mid-october going to do it again January 11 or 12 this is the best trail I have ever done I did like Cloudland Canyon, but I would like to ask has anyone had any weird experiences on this Trail?

Although the area is very lovely, I'm not sure how anyone would classify this trail as a moderate hike. We started our trek at the Old Fort parking area and went clockwise. This trail had some of the steepest ups/downs we've encountered on all of our trails in Georgia. We were so busy fighting the trail (not wanting to slip down the steep slopes on the leaf litter) that we couldn't really enjoy the views. Another stretch of the trail narrows to ~1ft wide and was located on the very edge of a steep slope; some of this section seemingly eroded downslope. After only ~2miles, we'd finally had enough and moved over to the 'easy' bike trial.

This was really a great hike. It had a lot of beautiful views, streams, waterfalls and ups and downs. I think we saw one other person on the trail the entire time. My wife and I took our 8 month old
Golden Retriever and we had a lot of fun on the trail!

Soooooo enjoyed hiking this trail in the snow today!! Was an amazing hike

It was alright

I had a blast running this trail. The start is on down the road from the Outpost. One of the Rangers gave me a map and told me where to go. They said it is a 5 hour hike but I ran it in 1.5 hours. The trail was very well marked so I had no trouble staying on track. There are no restrooms at the parking for the trail so make sure you get that done before hand. It is a State Park so if you don't have a parking pass there will be a parking fee.

probably enjoyed this Trail more than any this year

Nice hike with lots of small ups and down over 8 miles. Several nice spots to lookout and nice stream views.

Beautiful fall colors, awesome hike, and very well marked! :)

I highly recommend this if you're looking for a moderate hike with your dog! It has a great mix of scenery and difficulty.

I completed the trail today (Oct 22, 2017), and the leaves were starting to turn color - good amount of yellow, some orange / red. I expect the place to be full of autumn color the first or second week of November! It was beautiful nonetheless!

We started our hike at around 8:45 AM (Sunday), and we only saw three other pairs of hikers on the trail. It was really nice not having a crowd.

I brought my 45-lb dog along, and she loved it! The terrain is rocky, but there is good footing available along the entire route. I usually have some with her on "rocky" terrain, but this trail does not have rocky steps - the ground is just slightly bumpy with rocks. I felt safe even with a dog that pulls while going downhill at times.

There are many bear warning signs, but we did not see any during our hike even while carrying snacks. It probably helped that we talked pretty loudly while walking.

Beautiful as Ga always is. Not too challenging, a great place for a hike and some history. Various views and multiple trails to fit beginner to intermediate hiking.

We stayed at Campsite #2 (Goldmine Creek) and although it is a spacious site and well of the trail, we had a lot of road noise. The westside of the trail had more water and scenic views during out hike.

Awesome trail with great views and very well marked.

Great hike would injoy doing it again . We saw 3 bears.

Recommend doing this trail clockwise from the cool springs overlook parking, this way the good stuff is towards the middle/end. We saw 2 bears!

My wife and I did about 6 miles of the trail, starting at the campground and getting off at the entrance to the park. Great hike, marked well, but wish there were more information related signs along the trail. Only place we say anything with distances was at the trail head. The map we got at the office was fair.

Great experience, beautiful views. Moderate to difficult in some areas. Bring lots of water and snacks, make sure you keep all your food in bear bag as they are definitely around.

Great hike! Got 9.4 miles in today ! Kudos to Georgia State Parks! Very well marked and trail was clear

This was my first real backpacking overnight trip. The trails were a great range of flat/easy & steep/hard, I definitely agree with the moderate rating, & the trail was nicely marked every 10 steps- making it a comfortable hike.
There are many streams to fill up for water & many great peekaboo views (I'd like to come back in fall to get more views). We did come across a black bear-so be alert, as well as large beautiful woodpeckers.
Great hike & great time!