Gahuti Backcountry Trail is a 8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Chatsworth, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,551 feet Route Type: Loop

Wonderfully peaceful trail located in Fort Mountain State Park just west of the Cohutta Wilderness. This trail travels around the crest of Fort Mountain and has access at numerous places in the park. There is a 855 foot rock wall which stands on the highest point of the mountain. There is also a remains of tower too.

Great hike!

fee

Superb hike. Love 8 milers. Saw a juvenile copperhead right off the start. Lots if flowers, butterflies and sunshine. Great variation of elevation.

There be bears! Make some noise as you come down the trail. I accidentally surprised a cub this morning and got nervous about mom nearby. Most of them will run off as they hear you approaching.

Long trail! Lots of variety and some serious stretches with inclines. A couple nice spots to rest and eat lunch by the river. We camped at backcountry campsite #4 which is about a half mile in and the best site in our opinion. Right next to a creek for water and large rock fire ring.

LOVE this trail. Clocked in at 9.2 miles. I took a right when I began, if you take a left it’ll break up the elevation more. Brought my pup and he had the time of his life. The trail is the most well marked trail I’ve ever been on. As others have said, it is sort of laughable at how many blazes there are. But hey, they did a great job making sure no one will get lost! Plan for 3 1/2 - 4 hours of hiking

Beautiful hike. Loved every minute of it. Took a detour to see the fire tower and an additional overlook, so ended up doing 10.5 miles, which was great. I didn’t feel like this trail was super challenging, but I’d do the hike again because it was so pretty. The trail was well maintained and well marked. I saw two bears along the way!

Great trail. Very well marked throughout the whole hike. A couple of nice creeks/small waterfalls and a couple of different lookout points. Definitely difficult and I tracked the hike to be 9 miles not 8.

Enjoyed this trail quite a bit. Does seem pretty heavily trafficked based on the terrain but only saw a dozen or so people when I was there. Well maintained with good variety. Very narrow and steep in some spots, wide and flat in others.

4.5 stars. We did the 8 miles plus a couple detours. It does get pretty narrow in certain elevated spots. We also encountered 2 snakes on the rocks at the falls, one looked like a rattlesnake and the other a non poisonous black snake. good workout and great views.

This was my third time on the Gahuti Backcountry Trail, and brought a friend who is fairly out of shape. He had an incredibly difficult time on this hike, so we took it slow and steady but still had to cut the journey short. We did run into a beautiful black bear on the eastern portion of the trail in between the cool springs overlook and campsite #1 (not listed on AllTrails map). This trail still remains as one of my favorites!

fee

Challenging trail. My advice is to save the overlook for the end. Plan to hike for about 3 hours from start to finish.

Amazing hike. Lots of different terrain. A moderate trail for experienced hikers -- come prepared with boots, water, snacks, etc. Gorgeous hike in early May. Will hike this trail again.

hard if you go to the right first.

I would’ve enjoyed this trail with a partner but solo this wasn’t my favorite. Very rocky and not too much to see most of the way. I did enjoy the beautiful waterfall.

We enjoyed a great day hiking the Gahuti Trail. Well marked trails with views and waterfalls. The path is narrow in places and really rocky in places with lots of uphill climbing. Traveling clockwise we clocked in over 9.1 miles. We really enjoyed the waterfalls and wildflowers. We were definitely proud of ourselves when we finished this hike. Well worth the drive from Chattanooga!

Beautiful trail and well marked

fee

Great hike. It is tough in spots. Had some blown down trees and muddy areas. I hiked it counter clock wise and it was sorta confusing in spots.

The 8 mile long Gahuti Backcountry Trail is absolutely lovely. I didn’t find this trail to be that strenuous, but those who are out of shape may find it really challenging. This was just perfect for me — not too hard, not too easy, on a very exciting trail. Phone reception was spotty, so I’d download the offline maps just to be safe. The trails are incredibly well-marked and in decent shape, so you won’t find yourself lost most likely. I completed this clock-wise, just like this trail shows but took a slight detour (read below). I think the best thing about this trail is variety. The surface of the trail is constantly changing along this approximately 8 mile long trail, and this keeps the entire hike super interesting. Some parts of the trail is super narrow, while some other parts fairly wide. You will also encounter a few water crossings — I went on a day after some rain, but none of the crossings required my shoes to get wet. Speaking of shoes, I’d recommend decent hiking shoes due to the rocky surface along good portions of the trail. Some parts of the trail was muddy, but nothing too bad at all. I appreciated the falls along the way, they’re real pretty and soothing but not the biggest waterfalls you’ll see in the Georgia State Parks system. I took a slight detour to Gold Mine Creek Trail (refer to AllTrails map) on purpose to walk by the creek more, and I’d highly recommend this. There are multiple parking lots throughout this state park, but the parking lot by this trailhead fits several cars and has a handicap spot. Since this is a loop, you could go clockwise or counter clockwise from the parking lot. I’d actually recommend going clockwise just like this trail listing so that you see the best view at the very end. This overlook is right by the parking lot going counter clockwise and I’d save this beautiful view for last. I also ran into a grumpy racist grandpa along the hike, telling me to go back to China (I’m not even Chinese). This is the first time I’ve personally experienced true racism coming out of hatred in the 25 years of my life, and hate that it had to happen here on such a nice hike. Although this guy left a really bad taste, I will DEFINITELY be coming back here — it was worth the 2hr drive from the city.

Really enjoyed the trail. Loved the waterfalls. only passed a few couples and they were only where gahuti overlapped another trail. Well marked. clocked in at about 8.1 miles.