Gahuti Backcountry Trail

Gahuti Backcountry Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chatsworth, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.4 miles 2011 feet Loop

Wonderfully peaceful trail located in Fort Mountain State Park just west of the Cohutta Wilderness. This trail travels around the crest of Fort Mountain and has access at numerous places in the park. There is a 855 foot rock wall which stands on the highest point of the mountain. There is also a remains of tower too.

If you start from the parking lot Trailhead, instead of starting from the campground loop, I recommend you take the trail head to the left. If you go to the right, this is a very challenging Trail. We actually had to take a bike trail just so it wouldn't kill us getting back to the car.

Previously, we have taken this Trail starting from the campground Loop. We have always enjoyed it, and found it to be a moderate and beautiful hike.

Great hike, ups and downs and even an obstacle course about 1.5-2.0 miles in on the west loop. Four or five large trees blown on the trail, a section of trail you can't go around you'll go over and under to get through. Fun hike though.

I did an overnight trip with my 8 year old son. Both of us being new to Backpacking, I was a bit concerned but we had a blast. The right mix of challenge but it wasn't over the top. Stayed at camp site #3 which looked like the best spot. It does get windy there.

Did an overnight hike in to Hogpen. Very challenging trail especially with 20 plus lbs on your back. Beautiful scenery and nice open campsite with plenty of trees for hang hammocks.

Overall a well-marked loop trail. Rigorous at times, great scenery, low foot traffic. Pack accordingly for snacks and hydration. Roots and rocks at times can be tricky. Worth a day!

We split the full loop over 2 days. We stayed at campsite 4. Water was plentiful and the burn ban has been lifted. The terrain varies enough to keep it interesting and it does get difficult at times..

Beautiful fall hike! The colors were amazing. Due to drought the areas with water were almost dry. I would love to come back when there's some water in the creeks! It is very long though and has some intense stretches. Not for beginners if you're doing the full loop.

Beautiful views and loved the different terrains

Drought ha definitely affected the trail. Hiked it two days ago and all water crossings were dry. We (my dog and me) didn't encounter another person. I'll be back in the spring.