Gahuti Backcountry Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chatsworth, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wonderfully peaceful trail located in Fort Mountain State Park just west of the Cohutta Wilderness. This trail travels around the crest of Fort Mountain and has access at numerous places in the park. There is a 855 foot rock wall which stands on the highest point of the mountain. There is also a remains of tower too.

Not enough to see for such a long hike.

awesome. definitely longer than 8 miles, great views. good workout

Awesome change of scenenry along a short 8 miles! It was more difficult than I expected....but I based my expectation off of the State Park Trail Map. It had the completion time for the 1.2 mile flat gravel trail around the lake at 1 hour. It had the completion time for the Gahuti trail at 5 hrs for 8 miles...it actually took me 5 full hours. Lots of ups and downs. I saw a lot of squirrels and a family of raccoons. The lake trail and the wall trail are not actually part of the g
Gahuti but I did those as well. When you are in this park it doesn't feel like you are in the mountains at all...untill you get to the overlooks! Reminded me of the Cloudland Canyon west rim trail.

Great trail! Lots of ups and down to keep your heart pumping and plenty of beautiful views to keep you interested along the way.

This was our first trail to backpack overnight. The scenery is beautiful. It is a pretty hard trail the first 2 miles and the last 2 miles. There are 4 campsites. The campsites just have a flat spot for your tent and a fire pit. The only complaint was that campsite one was not marked and was right on the trail. The trail is a little grown over at places with tall grass and poison oat so be sure to wear appropriate clothing and bring bug spray. This is black bear country so be smart. We will definitely be returning.

my partner and I hiked this trail last weekend, it was cooler and breezy which made the hike very nice. Spectacular overlooks, changing terrain, waterfalls, mountains. We had a great time. We passed about 8 people in the entire 8+ miles, I think half of them asked if we had seen any bears, apparently bears are prevalent at fort mountain SP. We did not see any bears by the way...this is an excellent hike, we would do it again. It took about 4.75 hours to complete, and we stopped for lunch on the trail and at one of the overlooks. We like to hike at a pretty moderate pace.

Loved it

July 4th hike. No one on the trail, save a mama black bear that would not move and was getting very worked up about 20 feet off the trail near milepost 2. After a couple seconds of primal reaction on my part (neither of us saw one another until the last minute) I tried to look "big", stood my ground for a few seconds then sloooowly walked along grabbing some rocks just in case it got crazy. Will do the bear bells next time just in case. As for the trail, very well blazed, quite varied, and a pleasant escape, except for the section near Gold Mine Trail, which uses an old roadbed. Nice to eat the first blueberries and huckleberries of the season along the western side. Once I got to mile 7 going clockwise I was sad to see it end so soon. Definitely worth a do-over.

If ticks give you the heebie-jeebies then this isn’t the hike for you! I’ve never seen so many ticks in my life. Every time I looked down my pants were covered in ticks. I must have pulled 50 or more ticks off me throughout the hike. So if you plan on doing this hike make sure your clothes are treated or better yet just do it in the winter. Other than that the hike was ok but the ride home was itchy.

TICKS! TICKS! TICKS!!!!!!!! and MORE TICKS!!!!!!
Came to do this trail on July 2nd 2018. My hiking partner came from NC and we hiked from the overlook around the 8 mile loop.
He picked at least 50 ticks off of his pants from the knees the down!! NO EXAGGERATION!!! I have never seen so many ticks in my life! I only found 2 on my right sock. I was wearing shorts, he was wearing pants.
Other than that... it was a great hike and a great workout! I will ONLY return in the winter time! I have named this place in my saved files as “Tick City”
It was things nightmares are made of!

Great Trail, marked well. The park staff is awesome!

I would agree with a previous reviewer, we considered this trail to be on the more difficult side of moderate. We did not start at the overlook and were glad we didn’t. We opted into starting at the park entrance for the 5 mile hike up with the overlook as our reward before our 3 miles out. The views did not disappoint!

Plenty of blooming flora. However, wear pants, poison ivy was pretty tight to the trail. The leaves were out on the trees, so the vistas weren't there, but we encountered two black bears! Hike was a workout, but worth it.

Beautiful trail but youre definitely close to cabins/pavilions/ general development for a good portion of the trail. This could be good or bad depending on your personal preferences.

Used this trail as my introduction to backpacking. What a beautiful trail!

great trail.

This is a spectacular work out as well as incredibly easy on the eyes. My partner and I started at a nontraditional point and it turned out to be a fantastic decision. We went counter clockwise and finish the hike near the falls. I do wish dogs are allowed on the beach. Now that would be the way to finish the hike.

The Gahuti is beautiful and campsite #3 has awesome views. The trail is marked with orange blazes and despite what another review said, easily followable.
The first two miles and the last two miles are strenuous.
Starting just past mile 5 there are beautiful creeks with small waterfalls. At the very end you’ll cross the main road then hike down to a observation deck with a gorgeous view. This is easily my favorite trail so far.

There was dense fog that spoiled the views on the day I hiked, but the streams on the west side of the trail made the trip worth it.

This is a beautiful and beastly trail! The ranger told us the first three miles were the hardest, but the last two miles are a close second! This trail was on the more difficult side of "moderate." It was challenging, but very enjoyable. The scenery was continuously changing. We crossed many small creeks and streams before finally reaching a breathtaking waterfall around mile 5.5. We found bench around mile 3 after we crossed the road entrance to the park. We sat on the bench and enjoyed a gorgeous view while we had a picnic lunch. We hiked on a Wednesday and met very few people on the trail. We were very proud of ourselves for completing all 8 miles. Of course there is no getting off the trail once you start! We felt like there should have been a t-shirt waiting at the end for us that said, "I did the Gahuti!" Fort Mountain is a beautiful park and we will be back to do the Fort Trail. The Gahuti also has back country campsites along the trail. It would be nice to rest half way and finish the trail the next morning.

We hiked this trail in September. Good workout, beautiful views and accessible from many points.

Tried to follow the Park map which was not detailed and confusing, so we got lost a couple times. Really pretty hike with a lot of views!

Fantastic! It has everything you could want on a hike- waterfalls, mountain views and streams. I enjoyed how the terrain and density of the trees was always changing. My favorite hike so far!

Took my daughter out for the day. This hike was a blast. It was challenging in some spots but that was due to the amount of rain we have had over the last week or so. All in all it was a great time and a great day.

We are a couple in our 60’s in reasonably good shape and did this trail in January, after a snow/ice event but the day was relatively warm. For us it was moderately strenuous but hey, we’re in our 60’s. Pretty constant ups and downs but most of that was relatively gradual. No truly hard climbs or descents and the footing on most of the trail was good. A little rocky and root strewn on the west side of the loop. It took us 6 hrs but most people do it in 4-5 hours.

I did this Trail in mid-october going to do it again January 11 or 12 this is the best trail I have ever done I did like Cloudland Canyon, but I would like to ask has anyone had any weird experiences on this Trail?

Although the area is very lovely, I'm not sure how anyone would classify this trail as a moderate hike. We started our trek at the Old Fort parking area and went clockwise. This trail had some of the steepest ups/downs we've encountered on all of our trails in Georgia. We were so busy fighting the trail (not wanting to slip down the steep slopes on the leaf litter) that we couldn't really enjoy the views. Another stretch of the trail narrows to ~1ft wide and was located on the very edge of a steep slope; some of this section seemingly eroded downslope. After only ~2miles, we'd finally had enough and moved over to the 'easy' bike trial.

This was really a great hike. It had a lot of beautiful views, streams, waterfalls and ups and downs. I think we saw one other person on the trail the entire time. My wife and I took our 8 month old
Golden Retriever and we had a lot of fun on the trail!

Soooooo enjoyed hiking this trail in the snow today!! Was an amazing hike