Frosty Mountain (via The Approach Trail)

Frosty Mountain (via The Approach Trail) is a 9.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dawsonville, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Frosty Mountain is located in the Chattahoochee National Forest along the Approach Trail to Springer Mountain (the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.) The summit was once the site of a U.S. Forest Service lookout tower, but it has been removed and all that remains is a flat area suitable for overnight camping. A seasonal spring is located a short distance to the southeast although it may be difficult to find especially in the summer months.

moderate traffic doesn't begin to describe. I did frosty trail (which is actually the Appalachian approach trail starting in Amicalola state park), and instead of out and backing it, I took the hike inn trail, connected to len Foote trail and looped back out. saw 3 bears, a deer, and an owl. I wish I had the description better and seem it was in a state park. I hate crowds and this place on 4th of July was packed. what was massively disappointing was the family that was arguing with one another on both sides of my car. sorry we don't understand each other... but when someone is getting into their car, kindly move your bs somewhere else. I literally had to start backing out before these people got away from my car. smh. I wish people wouldn't ruin nature hikes with using their voices.

Wonderful little hidden gem off the AT. We hiked there to have lunch while section hiking the AT.

It was good experience ...

Recommend leaving early in the am if not staying at the inn. As it was a rainy day I lucked out in walking with hardly any one else on the trial. Going to the inn I used the Hike in path. As a single hiker and depending on the time you get on the trail recommend registering with the visitor center. on the return I took the Blue Trail or Appalachian approach Trail which was more difficult and mostly downhill. Well marked trail.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Awesome day hike !

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Good hiking trail I have done this trail quite a few times, no water up top so take your water or once up top you can use your map and find a stream on the back side of the summit 1/2 mil. down. its a small stream just off the jeep trail, look on the north side of the road/ summit side. The old concrete footing makes a nice table to cook on...

Sunday, July 09, 2017