Learn more

Freeman Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 990 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Dahlonega: Take US 19 north From Dahlonega for 21 miles to Neels Gap Access or Byron Herbert Reece Trail.

Fri Oct 19 2018

Awesome trail! Watch for snakes! they love the wet rocky terrain.

Sun Sep 30 2018

Great trail if it wasn’t so crowded. This is definitely not lightly trafficked on a Sat. But it is less crowded than the other route up Blood mountain. Save this one for a weekday.

Mon Jul 17 2017

This was a difficult hike ...

Mon Jun 05 2017

Freeman is not for new hikers. This is a technical hike full of rocks and several water crossings. It is rare to see other hikers on this trail. Keep an eye out for snakes and get a pair of good trekking poles.

Fri Apr 14 2017

LOVED IT , lots of ups and down , amazing views

Sat Jul 16 2016

Long and Windy

Fri Jan 08 2016

difficult

Tue Sep 22 2015

Good trail and good alternative (or bypass) to blood mountain. More technical, more overgrown, less people, but still good views when the leaves are down. Did I mention less people? If you come up the Byron Reece connector it can be a little misleading to catch the trailhead. It sits off the the right as you look South. I made the mistake of going down the rocky open area instead and well, South facing rocks, sun, cool temps, you know what that means. I stumbled into a group of snakes and that made for some interest. Only 3 stars, but could be 4. 3.5 is about right. It's a nice trail that is plenty of work without the climb of blood mountain. https://www.facebook.com/groups/JasonHikingPage/

Tue Sep 08 2015

Puts the R in rugged on parts of this trail... Overall a challenge accepted and accomplished!

Fri Mar 13 2015

Thought this would be an easier descent from Blood Mountain and thought it would make a nice way to complete a loop trail. We thought wrong. Rocky, slippery from leaves, and not so easy to navigate. By the time we got down, it felt as though both my husband and I would need new ankles and knees. Retreating down the access trail would have been a lot better. All in all it was a challenge...and we enjoyed our day hiking...but that said, I can safely cross it off the list as completed and not visit it again! Definitely wear good boots...a walking stick might be helpful too. And I can verify that it was remote...didn't see another hiker the whole time we were on it.

Tue Apr 16 2013

A good alternative to the AT for going up Blood Mountain from the Byron Reece parking lot in summer when the AT is quite crowded. There are not many views along the Freeman Trail portion and it can be rocky but it is quiet and peaceful. Bird Gap (on the western end) offers a nice place to relax before going up Blood Mountain.

Thu Mar 14 2013

Just went out and did this again (in good boots, no less!) and it was significantly easier than last time. Didn't break anything this time around and the leaf drifts weren't near as bad.

Mon Mar 11 2013

I did this hike with a buddy to complete a loop over the Blood Mountain. Our experience was not as dramatic as the one John Fletcher described in his review but the trail was rather rocky and overgrown in places. I would avoid it with small kids or after rain but it is not too bad in good boots.

Tue Nov 27 2012

Never again. Rocky, leaves that are sometimes waist-deep, plenty of opportunities to turn an ankle or fall and fracture a kneecap (which I did). Extremely remote and devoid of other hikers. DO NOT hike alone unless you're capable of getting yourself out of a bad situation. I thought I was, and I did, but only just. (My hike time on this review is extended because I had to stop and splint a patella fracture, and was hobbling out on a homemade crutch.) Also bring GOOD maps, a compass, and your best land nav skills because it's not well-blazed or easy to follow. Not much to see unless you like rocks. The trail itself would be easy-to-moderate except for the rocks, which make it difficult, and the fact that I did it as the tail end of a 7-mile loop that included the AT up and back down Blood Mtn, which made the entire trip very strenuous.

Sun May 19 2019