It had rained a lot the week before so I thought that it would be a good idea to go somewhere with lots of granite so I'd not be walking in as much mud...which was absurd when you think about the fact that granite isn't permeable so there were a whole lot of giant puddles and muddy spots. Still, it was a really nice afternoon out. I went here and did these trails and then walked over to the mountain view trail. I could take or leave the mountain view trail, but these two trails were really nice. The Forest Trail had a lot of precariously balanced dead trees that were fun to look at and there were areas where it skirted bald-granite areas and old quarry sites that looked like I was skirting some disaster area.

There's a short (about .1 miles) detour on the Forest Trail to the grave of someone named Mary Wade that had some really cool granite outcroppings, though the grave itself is nearly in someone's backyard and, it being winter, the foliage was thinned out enough that it felt a little awkward going to it. And the grave itself wasn't that interesting.

The Mile Rock Trail is really cool: it's not much unlike going up Arabia Mountain or Stone Mountain except that it's flat, there are a ton of frogs, and a lot of ruins. It reminded me of a set from the original Doctor Who series. I generally favor more challenging trails and was surprised at how much I enjoyed these two. I'll definitely go back when I want to stay close to the city or don't have the energy for something more strenuous.