Flatrock Trail

Flatrock Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Columbus, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

After reading other reviews, this trail system gets short shrift. This is a gem for Columbus! When you come into Flat Rock Park from Warm Springs Rd follow the service road all the way downhill to just before it loops back up around the lake--you'll see the parking area at the trailhead. Work from the trailhead, not the upper park areas near the entrance--I can see why some folks get confused and lose the trail from up there. I did 5-miles doubling back the tight winding single track through the trees as a loop from and to the trail head. I then warmed down hiking the trail running south in reverse from the trailhead, finding a mix of single track, old jeep trails and pine needles running variously parallel to the Fall Trace asphalt paved bike and running track that runs from 1.3M north of the Flat Rock Park dirt trails 12 miles south-southwest to downtown Columbus and the Riverwalk area, and in loops back around the small lake in the Park, reconnecting to the trails I ran today to make a continuous loop. The Park is being maintained, and the trails are in fact very clear and largely marked--I found both color coded arrows on steel posts and orangish confidence flags--I confirmed I was reversing over the same section of Trail in part by noting the flags were now on my left coming back. The terrain on the north end is gently rolling, with quite a few roots to navigate, no rocks. Looping south, away from the trailhead, the terrain becomes more hilly and offers more variation. You can choose to parallel the Fall Trace on the trail for some distance. I think you could put together 6+ miles easily. Nothing technical, other than abundant roots to watch for--keep your eyes on the trail. I saw only squirrels--no other wildlife. I saw one blonde squirrel--like a tiny grizzly bear, which I almost stopped to photograph. The Park itself includes some cool geology w a large exposed rock area. The trail system connects directly to Fall Trace at the Flat Rock trailhead and is very clearly marked. I ran an 8-mile out and back on the Fall Trace yesterday from the Psalmist Road parking area and found it great--very gentle grade, smooth asphalt surface with clearly marked road crossings and warning lights--but every driver stopped when they saw me approaching a crossing. You could easily put together Marathon-50K distances using combinations of Flat Rock and Fall Trace. Lots of trees shade the tracks. I've really enjoyed finding this network of trails so close in to Columbus and will run here whenever in town. Easy to moderate compared to Roosevelt Park to the north where GUTS trail race events are conducted.

The park is beautiful but to say the trail is poorly marked would be an understatement!

great place for family...

Good trail to walk dogs on! I enjoy it because it's close to my house and most times it isn't crowded.

Great local park! I have walked/jogged the trail with my dogs, and although the trail is poorly marked in some area, it is very enjoyable. Even in the areas where you may lose the trail, the lake and the river kind of keep you on track, plus my dogs love getting their feet wet from time to time. Overall I enjoy every trip to this family friendly, well maintained park and my dogs get a kick out of the trail.

Run Flatrock Park many times, good beginner trail (trail running). Overall the course is relatively flat with tight turns. Few obstacles such as roots or rocks to contend with, markings are not very good, however the shortness of the trail allows you to find your way out rather easily if you get turned around. One additional benefit is having the Fall Line Trace (rails to trails) next to the park for additional mileage if you desire. Like the other reviews the park is family friendly with other activities and picnic sites throughout.

A great place to bring your kids, dogs and a picnic basket. Open air seating, the water is fun and rails to trails is right nearby.

FLat rock park is a very nice place to bring your family. Between the Frisbee Golf Course or the 11.5 mile MTB Course, you cant go wrong. The Course has been in the GSC Racing series the past 6 years. The Course gets better by the year. CVA Sorba takes care of the course. technical aspects of the trail I would have to say 3 out of 5. the course is fast but not many climbs or technical areas. Kids can enjoy most of the course. I take my 9 year old and he can ride the entire course.

I really love this park. My neice, nephew and sister love it too.

I didn't get to walk the bigger trail on either visit, because there's so much to see in the front part of the park, which I could spend hours enjoying - the water area, the small rock scramble, the swings, the picnic area and the smaller trail to the lake. Looking forward to my next visit so I could finally start/complete the trail.