Emery Creek Falls Trail

Emery Creek Falls Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rocky Face, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 859 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Emery Creek/Holly Creek Trail is a moderately hard and beautiful trail, culminating with a 2 step set of falls and the termination of the trail. Your shoes will get wet. Do not attempt when water is high.

Much more enjoyable in the summer than winter! A LOT of people parked at the picnic area and the trail head - everyone enjoying the swimming holes. Only passed a handful of people on the trail to the falls. Had the top pretty much to ourselves. We did see a small snake on top of one of the rocks near the water so keep your eyes open. Several tents set up in dispersed campsites along the way. Water crossings could all be managed below knee high and the water was not moving too swift at all. There are several sections with blow down but nothing unmanageable. Keep your eyes peeled for a river crossing if the trail suddenly disappears.

I took my 9 year old out here for her first ever hike. We hiked in via the trails to reach all the falls, note that there's a small and very steep side trail to hit the bottom of the upper falls that's well worth the effort. On the way back when we reached the first crossing, my daughter told me that the trail was too easy and we should go back through the creek. Probably not the smartest idea but the August water level and temperature actually allow this and it was quite an unforgettable excursion, and a challenge even for me. Good fisherman's or hiking sandals, and summer timing, are absolute necessities for anybody tempted to try this.

Great summer day for this hike. The trail is well maintained, crossing the river eight times on the way to the falls. Wear chacos for summer hikes on this trail to stay cool and not get waterlogged shoes.

This trail was so much fun and not too difficult physically. You do have to cross the river about 5 times in and again out. So wear shoes you don't mind getting wet. Just remember to cross the river about .75 mile in, or you'll be very confused like i was!

Fun hike.. neon green trail markers . confusing in the beginning. 2 out of 3 hikers got stung by a wasp. small incline the whole way to the falls.

Actually.... the trail being described here is the lower part of a longer 6-mile trail that extends from near Lake Conasauga in the north past the three sets of falls to the trailhead. The northern portion is steeper and fairly overgrown, but done north to south is almost all downhill. Both sections have a LOT of downed trees that must be negotiated. The lower part--an in and out to the falls--is an especially great hike. I do it several times each summer, including for my 70th birthday. Only one crossing--each way--is deep--getting over Holly Creek. Can be knee height or even more depending on where one crosses. Water shoes and poles are definitely recommended.

Sensational trail. Be prepared to get your feet wet, lots of trail crossings. Payoff is fantastic though, beautiful falls (there are two, make sure you see both!) and not heavily trafficked at all. Be wary though, the trail is not super well-marked, keep an eye out for the neon blazes.

To get to the two waterfalls, Upper and Lower, you're going to have to work for it. The trail is around 6 miles round trip and relatively easy, with only about 900 feet of elevation change. The challenge lies in the 9 creek crossings. The water is swift, ice-cold, and deep: at one point I was wading up to my waist. Forget hiking boots, wear water shoes. Also take trekking poles to avoid slipping on the moss-covered rocks.

great trail to beautiful falls. Spent the night camping at the base of the falls. Trail is difficult to follow at the crossings. Had to find it by walking upstream! Fun trail on a hot day! Watch out for copperheads

Welcome to my new favorite trail. Very easy hike to the lower falls. We (my trail beagle and I) had an absolute blast. There were five water crossings out. The first is the deepest and most difficult. I took a bath there and had fun. The trail beagle fared much better. Gentle rise the entire time but easy to handle. Trail is not well marked but not too difficult to pick up if you are the least bit experienced. Know this.... You Will get wet so wear appropriate footwear and... Wear jungle juice as the bugs are out in droves!! Saw only one other human on the trail. Limited parking but not a problem as we were there at 0715. Enjoy your day. This one's a gem!

emery Creek with Brian and Cris ok barefoot sandals super helpful very confusing trail. got lots a bunch didn't make it to the waterfalls no cell service

This trail has it all! Smooth paths, rough paths, no paths, and even places where it seemed to dead end. The creek crossings are doable if you take your time and use a walking stick. i am 5 ft and none of the crossings went above my knees but I took my time and paid attention to find the shallow crossings. Smooth elevation. The falls are even better than the pictures!

camping. swimming. perfect summer hike. very fun splashing in mud and stream crossings.

Gorgeous views!

Fun trail! About 10 or so creek crossings. Falls were beautiful and there was plenty of dry wood laying around for a campfire. highly recommend!

Couldn't find the start of the trail drove all the way up the mountain and found a gorgeous water fall! and the view was perfect all the way up

This trail is an easy 5 mile (total out and back) hike with about 9 (one -way) river/creek crossings... 9 out 9 back...I would recommend this to anyone with interest in learning how to cross a stream/ river. I also would highly recommend hiking poles due to the nature of some of the rivers running pretty fast. We did this hike after a storm came through and there was some blow down across several of the paths. We also did this in 20 degree weather ... knowing that our feet would be wet the entire time. Do NOT bring waterproof shoes... either accept that your feet and socks will be wet the entire time or bring some Chaco type sandals Some of the crossings can be close to waist deep for shorter people. I am 6’2” and the deepest crossing was a little above my knees. If you decide to switch shoes every time there is a crossing it will get tedious Its actually a gorgeous easy hike and the trails are marked pretty well... just pay attention big time to the first 3 crossings... Bc on the way back the last crossing (which was the first on the way out ) can be a bit confusing finding the path. I always use an app like Gaia... so it’s almost impossible to get lost. The scenery is pretty and the rivers /streams are really gorgeous. Lots of rhododendrons every where. In the summer I imagine this path gets way more traffic ... but when it’s cold like today was you will more than likely not see a soul. We never saw anyone else. There are tons of places to camp along the rivers. Lots of open spaces. The trails are pretty wide except for a few places and there was almost no elevation changes The parking area is kind of small and the spots are ok if you have a smaller vehicle. I have a larger truck and had to not park in a “spot” Bc the limited space. Overall an easy nice “wet” hike

Probably my favorite trail in N Georgia. I take my two dogs with me every time and they love all the creek crossings and trees down. Beautiful and wet hike. Nice falls at the end too Last time I was out there, we came up on a black bear mom and her cubs on the trail going in and that was a bit tricky. My dogs were going crazy so I thought it was just a deer up ahead until I suddenly saw multiple little bear cubs frantically climbing up trees all around us just ahead of a turn in the trail. Didn't see mom bear because of the heavy vegetation all around us. I figured she was coming for me now that her cubs were safe. I've never slow walked backwards so fast in my life.

My friend and I had a great time hiking to the falls. the trail was easy to follow with green/pink markings at every river crossings. There were about 7 crossings each 2-3 feet deep. Expect to get a little wet. Best to just plunge right in because there are not many safe, dry places to cross. The falls were tall and beautiful, and there is a nice flat campground at the top if you want to spend the night.

My boyfriend found this trail for us to explore this weekend - told me to prepare for water crossings (my feet hate cold water). We took our 2 year old AmStaff out and managed around 8 fordings to get to the falls! Absolutely beautiful trail with rhododendron and pines and creekside the whole time. The creeks were wide but not too difficult - most around knee deep for me (5'3") The falls were rushing and a great place to rest for the hike back. A few short sections of elevation gain but not bad. We stayed relatively dry until the very last fording back - laughed our way to the car :) Did right at 6 miles to the falls and back. Trail easy to follow as long as you look for the orange and pink tape and neon green blazes. Some nice looking stealth sites along the way - can't wait to go back and finish the trail up the mountain and do some camping.

Just count on getting your shoes wet. Have a spare pair in your car (size 9-1/2) or carry them in your daypack if you want dry shoes. Otherwise, this is an excellent workout and coordination trail! enjoy. (study map before embarking, as most of the "fords" are diagonal.

Beautiful, just beautiful

Hiked September 28th. Recent rainfall has really increased water flow esp in first two creek crossings... I don’t think it’s suitable for kids or dogs. For the first crossing, which is about 0.5 miles in, my friend and I climbed on rocks of bank to go upstream for a bit prior to Crossing (to find a somewhat slower part of river to cross ). Water flow very heavy and rapid .. up to our waist on first crossing and I’m 5,7. Met two hikers turning around (after crossing second creek) Bc they were not comfortable w trip. .. As for other crossings , they weren’t as deep /fast but hiking sticks, good water shoes and just thinking about footwork all helped. You will be wet. Did see one copperhead snake but it was far off trail... just always be on look out and don’t go alone. By the way - this is more of a 7.5 mile round trip hike and def for the adventure seeker !! Yes trees and large branches are obstructing path in some places from recent storms and occasionally path is ambiguous but always go for most obvious answer . The end fall is very rewarding ... I am messy, tired and dirty but an unforgettable and challenging hike

Hiked yesterday September 22. The first marker was hard to spot. We ended up hiking the wrong creek for about a mile, before we back tracked, we did find the trail. Other than that the falls were beautiful. It would make a great weekend backpacking trip too

Fun creek crossings, great waterfalls!

Great waterfall. Perfect for hot parts of the year because you’re going to get wet. 11 creek crossings in and the same amount back out.

The first crossing was a bit of a challenge due to the recent rainfall. The rest where pretty easy comparatively. There are a few spots where the trail requires some guesswork. It seems pretty well traveled and makes for a fun adventure for any experience level. Chacos or Keens are a must for the this slippery trail. There are swimming holes on the way to the trail and at the end once you reach the falls. Make sure to bring something dry for the ride home. Enjoy!