Learn more

Edmonds Trail East Fork is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rabun Gap, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.5 mi Elevation gain 1,335 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (160)
Recordings (51)
Completed (363)
J H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
HikingFee

Great hike on a well-marked trail. I took the East Fork out and the West Fork back. I walked around the lake, mostly for some added walking, but, as other reviewers have said, it's not that great. The view from the Lookoff Mountain was a satisfying reward for the trek up.

View J's Recording
Greg Pickard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

If you’re looking for a short hike with a lot of elevation, this is a great trail for you. A lot of overgrowth but clearly marked routes. Head out early in the summer to miss the heat. Or go mid afternoon and enjoy the evening sunset. Lots of tree coverage and the little loop around the lake is worth the visit.

View Greg's Recording
Samantha Steffen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 1, 2020
HikingOver grownRocky

This trail is 7.5 miles, roots and rocks were pretty bad. If you have any knee or back problems this trail is not for you! Only view was from the parking lot, the trail was a bit disappointing.

Abira Glitman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 23, 2020
HikingScramble

It felt good to complete this trail but it was disappointing. Unless you do the full 7.5 mile version of this trail, you will not see a view (the photos are kinda misleading for the EAST FORK - the views are only if you do the full trail which is 7.5 Miles R/T). The scramble over rocks and trees and very technical terrain made this trail fun, but with little to no payoff at the end, decided to cut my losses and stick to the east fork as I know my fitness level. If you decide to do the full trail to the lookout - you have to cross a gravel road and continue 1.3 miles to the lookout.

View Abira's Recording
Kate Witten
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 3, 2020
Hiking

Very nicely maintained trail that absolutely deserves a Hard rating. Loved the babbling brooks throughout, while the overlook at the top is a nice place to chill for a minute I would not necessarily say you’d do this hike for the view. Most people made an effort at social distancing although the trail is narrow most of the time.

Peter Taubitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 25, 2020
Hiking

Nice trail. Good physical condition required.

View Peter's Recording
Zach Bernath
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 18, 2020
Hiking

Great hike. Easy to follow and the lake is a nice reprieve. Heavy traffic though.

View Zach's Recording
Corryn Smith Bracy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 22, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Great trail! Definitely strenuous!! Plan for steep climbs, rocks, lots of roots, and some mud at times. We took the one diamond trail to the right when it split. We would definitely do this one again.

David McAnally
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 2, 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddy

Took Edmond trail East fork until I saw the lake then took white trail to blue trail around the lake and back to trail head by West fork. Challenging uphill on the way back with no break.

View David's Recording
Dominique Brittain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2019
Hiking

We did the full 7.5 mile loop and while this trail is stunningly beautiful and well maintained....it is a TOUGH HIKE - mainly because 85% of this hike is steep incline. Not so bad the first 4-5 miles but by mile 6, you'll start to ask yourself..."why on earth did I chose this one?" Still - it was a wonderful experience and the spring water was so incredibly fresh and cold. We filled up our water bottles and kept on going! I highly recommend this trail for the more experienced hiker with lots of stamina and strength. If you're not in tip top shape you won't make it. Just sayin.....

Amber Sellino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 9, 2019
HikingBugs

Good trail, not good with a dog on a leash tho. Said moderate but the park sign said difficult which I believe more than here!! Was pretty much straight down hill starting. When you’re going out it is straight up hill. Keep that in mind!! Dog and I are pooped! It also crossed the main road and then starts again. I was slightly confused when I saw the road.

View Amber's Recording
Wardell Castles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 27, 2017
Hiking

Although the East Fork is shown as moderate, be aware that the loop, which includes the West Fork is rated at hard. I totally agree that the loop trail is a HARD trail. Not only was the elevation up and down mostly on the West Fork, the ground was slippery in many places on both Forks and there were fallen trees we had to climb over and under, especially on the East Fork.

Cris Hayes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 8, 2017
Bird Watching

Perfect trail for all types of birds. we spotted hummingbirds and many other hard to find birds. The trail is not much on views but perfect for flowers and birds

Heather Abernathy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 5, 2016
Hiking

Very beautiful hike, lots of diversity in herbaceous understory including ferns, wildflowers, and mosses. Friends and I hiked this trail early fall; however, given the hike along the ridge line I can imagine this hike offers even more views in winter during leaf-off. The overlook is located off a spur trail near signs for campsites. The valley of the overlook is primary agriculture but still offers great views of the surrounding mountains. At the first fork my group kept left and after we departed the overlook but before we got to the waterfall we experienced a gully that was supposed to be a trail but due to the lack of switchbacks and steep topography was highly eroded. Hikers with small children or knee issues should use caution.

Amanda Mabrey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 18, 2016

very beautiful! great views for the selfies or just great views in general....did a short trail that they had near the tent site. only.25, but it is down hill all the way and stairs too...so if u going down hill going in then u know what that means....straight up coming out. great leg work out! waterfall at the end wasn't nothing to brag about.

Carol Holloway
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2016

Great views

Hope Rouchi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2016
Hiking

The Edmonds backcountry trail can be strenuous! Great elevation and beautiful fern filled forests. Stunning view from the main overlook!!!!

John Morris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2014
Hiking

We hiked or tried to hike several if the trails at Black Rock and were not impressed. We began on the Tennessee Rock loop. The trail is so grown over that often we could not see where we were walking. There was lots of poison oak that was unavoidable due to how close the undergrowth was on the path. The final straw was the fact that I stepped on a snake. Luckily we both just wanted to get away from each other as quickly as possible. If it weren't for the overgrown trail it would have been most enjoyable and the the view from the overlook is stunning! The Springhouse trail appeared to be the same so we turned back after the first few feet. The Waterfall trail was a bit slippery from recent rains but otherwise o.k. Only a quarter mile but downhill all the way in. The hike out will get your heart pumping!

Deborah A.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2014
Hiking

Hiked several trails at Black Rock Mountain State Park this weekend. The Ada-hi Falls Trail is "only" a .25 mile loop. But, the grade average is 25%, with a max of 58%. My rock climbing skills came in handy on several locations. Recent rains made the dirt trail slippery. The variety of ferns, rhododendron, and lichen were rewarding. The Visitor Center Connector Trail and Springhouse Trail lead to the Trading Post and Mellinger Center. The open air theatre would be great for outdoor performances. The Black Rock Lake Trail was so peaceful that we hiked it two days and saw different things each day. The beginners in our group liked the level pathways that are wide enough for hiking and conversation. There is a bridge over a nice creek. Shade, mountain and lake views. Very calm. Boy Scouts were fishing from the deck on Saturday.

Zachary Tithof
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 2, 2014
Hiking

I hiked the James Edmunds trail and let me tell you, it's the worst I have done in forever. Way overgrown and easy to get lost with terrible markings on the trees. The trail is marked with faded orange spray paint that is hard to follow at points. I would say just drive to the top and save the time.

Emory Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 18, 2014
Hiking

One of my favorite hikes. Not the most scenic but you will pop a good sweat. I am so thankful for the great resources in my home state. I went from 250lbs to 180lbs thru hiking and eating healthier. Take food and water always

Jacqueline Carlier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 27, 2013
Hiking

Just finished the Tennessee Rock Trail, which was the 2.2 mile trail. In the beginning of the trail, you can go either right or left. If you go left, it's quicker to the scenic areas, but it is a more intense hike. We went right, which had a less steep incline but was a longer distance to the scenic area. It had one part where it was slightly steep in the middle of the trail, but altogether the trail was not very difficult. The scenery is beautiful as you get closer to the top, especially during foliage season. There are a few places to stop and check out the beautiful peaks of the mountains. You see several mountains too, all different sizes. I highly recommend this trail.

Rick Howe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 27, 2013

I've been told that the time to do this one is in the spring, especially in April or May, when the wildflowers are awesome. Three of us completed the loop trail that traverses the mountain side down to the valley, with what appeared to be a W form of grade up and down at one point. It was fairly difficult for me, but I think it was more the way I was feeling, coupled with hot weather and a late start. Nonetheless, it is a very worthwhile hike for the fit and energetic, especially during the cooler months.

Andrea Null
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 16, 2012
Hiking

Lots of unmarked intersections. A little easy to get disoriented. Lots of brambles so long pants are a must.

Matt Brodersen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 23, 2012
Hiking

All I can say is wow! We hiked the Tennessee rock trail and it was amazing! It had some really neat spots to stop and enjoy the views and pure nature. We hiked it in reverse numerical order and glad we did. Got the hard climb out of the way and got to the top faster. Made the rest of the trail nice and relaxing. Beautiful views at the summit, but learn photoshop first so you can take out all the gnats in your pictures. Nice and quiet trail. Only saw 1 other person. Looking to do the longer 7 mile trail next time. I would highly recommend this hike. It's on my top 5 now. We went on a cloudy day and glad we did, made for a very unique experience. Happy trails!

Hiking Diva .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 18, 2012
Hiking

There are numerous trails for varying skill levels @ BR. The Ada-Hi waterfall trail is till closed due to the 4/11 tornado. Per Rangers, they expect it done "soon". The wood/supplies out there, but doesn't appear they've even begun. I have more detailed pics, routes & tips on my blog: http://hikingdiva.posterous.com The Springhouse trail is a nice trail surrounded by rhododendrums, it can take you to the visitor center, to one of the overlooks or to the trailhead for TN Rock and jamees edward backcountry trails. I hiked them the day the park opened, there had been a good rain the night before, so a few spots were muddy/leafy/slippery IF you arenkt watching where you are going. I'll have elevation profiles for all the trails on my blog. I hiked them slowly bc I was noting things via gps & pics. The Tennessee Rock Trail was approx 2.6 miles (I went off trail a bit). It had some cool spots, but the evidence of the tornado with the huge trees down was sad. Also lots of pine tres down down to the beetle. Still, some lovely views. When leaves fll in, a lot of the views will be gone. Some sections low & "lush" meaning cooler but als lots and lots of gnats. Rec'd hat net but still had issues with the swarming in front f my camera. There had been another good rain.the night before, so some inclines were a bit muddy/slick. Trek poles helped. I'd go in "numerical" order based on trail markers. (My blog will show the path) The hike around Black Rock Lake is not as lame as the description indicates if you follow my rec's. Some cool stuff if you keep your eye open. I started the James edwards trail at Black Rock Lake - I went about a mile in, but t'storms were looming, so I opted to head back. Trail was in decent condition. I'd like to explore it as a full backcountry overnight.but t'storms were looming, so II headed back

Hiking Diva .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 8, 2012

FYI - park is only open March 16 - Nov 30 I haven't hiked it...yet.