Edmonds Trail East Fork

Edmonds Trail East Fork is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rabun Gap, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Although the East Fork is shown as moderate, be aware that the loop, which includes the West Fork is rated at hard. I totally agree that the loop trail is a HARD trail. Not only was the elevation up and down mostly on the West Fork, the ground was slippery in many places on both Forks and there were fallen trees we had to climb over and under, especially on the East Fork.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Perfect trail for all types of birds. we spotted hummingbirds and many other hard to find birds. The trail is not much on views but perfect for flowers and birds

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Very beautiful hike, lots of diversity in herbaceous understory including ferns, wildflowers, and mosses. Friends and I hiked this trail early fall; however, given the hike along the ridge line I can imagine this hike offers even more views in winter during leaf-off. The overlook is located off a spur trail near signs for campsites. The valley of the overlook is primary agriculture but still offers great views of the surrounding mountains. At the first fork my group kept left and after we departed the overlook but before we got to the waterfall we experienced a gully that was supposed to be a trail but due to the lack of switchbacks and steep topography was highly eroded. Hikers with small children or knee issues should use caution.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

very beautiful! great views for the selfies or just great views in general....did a short trail that they had near the tent site. only.25, but it is down hill all the way and stairs too...so if u going down hill going in then u know what that means....straight up coming out. great leg work out! waterfall at the end wasn't nothing to brag about.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Great views

Monday, June 27, 2016

The Edmonds backcountry trail can be strenuous! Great elevation and beautiful fern filled forests. Stunning view from the main overlook!!!!

Saturday, July 26, 2014

We hiked or tried to hike several if the trails at Black Rock and were not impressed. We began on the Tennessee Rock loop. The trail is so grown over that often we could not see where we were walking. There was lots of poison oak that was unavoidable due to how close the undergrowth was on the path. The final straw was the fact that I stepped on a snake. Luckily we both just wanted to get away from each other as quickly as possible. If it weren't for the overgrown trail it would have been most enjoyable and the the view from the overlook is stunning!
The Springhouse trail appeared to be the same so we turned back after the first few feet.
The Waterfall trail was a bit slippery from recent rains but otherwise o.k. Only a quarter mile but downhill all the way in. The hike out will get your heart pumping!

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Hiked several trails at Black Rock Mountain State Park this weekend.
The Ada-hi Falls Trail is "only" a .25 mile loop. But, the grade average is 25%, with a max of 58%. My rock climbing skills came in handy on several locations. Recent rains made the dirt trail slippery. The variety of ferns, rhododendron, and lichen were rewarding.
The Visitor Center Connector Trail and Springhouse Trail lead to the Trading Post and Mellinger Center. The open air theatre would be great for outdoor performances.
The Black Rock Lake Trail was so peaceful that we hiked it two days and saw different things each day. The beginners in our group liked the level pathways that are wide enough for hiking and conversation. There is a bridge over a nice creek. Shade, mountain and lake views. Very calm. Boy Scouts were fishing from the deck on Saturday.

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

I hiked the James Edmunds trail and let me tell you, it's the worst I have done in forever. Way overgrown and easy to get lost with terrible markings on the trees. The trail is marked with faded orange spray paint that is hard to follow at points. I would say just drive to the top and save the time.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

One of my favorite hikes. Not the most scenic but you will pop a good sweat. I am so thankful for the great resources in my home state. I went from 250lbs to 180lbs thru hiking and eating healthier. Take food and water always

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Just finished the Tennessee Rock Trail, which was the 2.2 mile trail. In the beginning of the trail, you can go either right or left. If you go left, it's quicker to the scenic areas, but it is a more intense hike. We went right, which had a less steep incline but was a longer distance to the scenic area. It had one part where it was slightly steep in the middle of the trail, but altogether the trail was not very difficult. The scenery is beautiful as you get closer to the top, especially during foliage season. There are a few places to stop and check out the beautiful peaks of the mountains. You see several mountains too, all different sizes. I highly recommend this trail.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I've been told that the time to do this one is in the spring, especially in April or May, when the wildflowers are awesome. Three of us completed the loop trail that traverses the mountain side down to the valley, with what appeared to be a W form of grade up and down at one point. It was fairly difficult for me, but I think it was more the way I was feeling, coupled with hot weather and a late start. Nonetheless, it is a very worthwhile hike for the fit and energetic, especially during the cooler months.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Lots of unmarked intersections. A little easy to get disoriented. Lots of brambles so long pants are a must.

Monday, April 23, 2012

All I can say is wow! We hiked the Tennessee rock trail and it was amazing! It had some really neat spots to stop and enjoy the views and pure nature. We hiked it in reverse numerical order and glad we did. Got the hard climb out of the way and got to the top faster. Made the rest of the trail nice and relaxing. Beautiful views at the summit, but learn photoshop first so you can take out all the gnats in your pictures. Nice and quiet trail. Only saw 1 other person. Looking to do the longer 7 mile trail next time. I would highly recommend this hike. It's on my top 5 now. We went on a cloudy day and glad we did, made for a very unique experience. Happy trails!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

There are numerous trails for varying skill levels @ BR.

The Ada-Hi waterfall trail is till closed due to the 4/11 tornado. Per Rangers, they expect it done "soon". The wood/supplies out there, but doesn't appear they've even begun. I have more detailed pics, routes & tips on my blog: http://hikingdiva.posterous.com

The Springhouse trail is a nice trail surrounded by rhododendrums, it can take you to the visitor center, to one of the overlooks or to the trailhead for TN Rock and jamees edward backcountry trails. I hiked them the day the park opened, there had been a good rain the night before, so a few spots were muddy/leafy/slippery IF you arenkt watching where you are going. I'll have elevation profiles for all the trails on my blog. I hiked them slowly bc I was noting things via gps & pics.

The Tennessee Rock Trail was approx 2.6 miles (I went off trail a bit). It had some cool spots, but the evidence of the tornado with the huge trees down was sad. Also lots of pine tres down down to the beetle. Still, some lovely views. When leaves fll in, a lot of the views will be gone. Some sections low & "lush" meaning cooler but als lots and lots of gnats. Rec'd hat net but still had issues with the swarming in front f my camera. There had been another good rain.the night before, so some inclines were a bit muddy/slick. Trek poles helped. I'd go in "numerical" order based on trail markers. (My blog will show the path)

The hike around Black Rock Lake is not as lame as the description indicates if you follow my rec's. Some cool stuff if you keep your eye open.

I started the James edwards trail at Black Rock Lake - I went about a mile in, but t'storms were looming, so I opted to head back. Trail was in decent condition. I'd like to explore it as a full backcountry overnight.but t'storms were looming, so II headed back

surfing
Sunday, January 08, 2012

FYI - park is only open March 16 - Nov 30
I haven't hiked it...yet.

Friday, June 24, 2011

My 13 year old son and I hiked the James Edmonds backcountry trail at Black Rock Mountain State Park (Georgia) in July of 2009. Amazing hike. Extremely challenging for this weekend warrior. Started at 4 p.m. and made it to the campsite at the top of Lookoff Mountain around 7. Bad leg cramps because we underestimated how much water we would need. While I'm writhing around on the ground my son spots a bear about 10 yards away. He may have been hallucinating but I started praying anyway. Needless to say not much sleep and an early morning departure. Incredible views and not a soul in sight. Will definitely do it again but with pepper spray and a water filter next time.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

black rock mountain has 2 trails, one is only a 1 hour easy to moderate hike, is very well marked and has a beautiful view which always makes the hike worth any effort.

Saturday, June 17, 2017