Learn more

Dockery Lake Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Suches, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,512 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The current response to the COVID-19 emergency has closed several trails and recreation sites in Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests. Please see website for up to date info: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/conf/recreation NOTE: It has been reported this trail has temporary closures due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

SAR carry out.

Great trail! Has a little of everything...wide paths through towering hardwoods...narrow rocky paths...at least half a dozen streams to cross...and lots of elevation. It is definitely a moderate hike and was 7.2 miles out and back for us. Loved all the different vegetation on the hike. Would definitely do it again!

This has become one of my favorite trails. Only saw 6 people on trail and 3 people camping. There is a few trees down and only 1 was difficult with the dog but would have been easier without her. It is a very rocky and rooted in some places but seems to be just the way the trail is not from lack of upkeep.

Hiked the trail to the AT and then north to Baker Mt, total of 9.3 miles. Perhaps my favorite trail, never crowded and you are always within the sound of flowing water. Today for the first time had several blowdowns, possibly due to lack of maintenance during the COVID situation.

First things first, it’s really a one way rocky gravel road to the parking area. There’s a restroom but I’d recommend bringing toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Drive slow and be mindful of cars coming. It was a beautiful trail. If you have waterproof shoes definitely wear them! There were a few small streams to cross that I personally found easier to walk through rather than walk on slippery rocks. Also wear bug repellent that focuses on mosquitoes and ticks! I bought some but my companion did not and ultimately had a few land on him. If you can climb over things or under things this might not be the trail for you. There were several trees down we had to climb over. It was peaceful and not many people on it!

scenic driving

Trail closed due to Coronavirus.

This was a fun trail although not as good as many others in the area. It's basically a linker trail between this camping area at Dockery lake and the AT which is fine but means no great viewpoint or anything at the end, just part of the AT. Lots of little creek crossings that were pretty - definitely easier to cross if you had waterproof shoes but my friend didn't and he was fine also. Overall enjoyed it but probably won't be back.

Great trail! Very scenic and a nice challenge. The 1st 1.5 miles is all down hill. You will cross many mutiple wet zones. Be sure to have a waterproof mid to high boot. The last 2miles of the "out" (of the out and back), is a serious climb. Nearly a 1000' ascent. Plenty of great places to primative camp along the way with many opportunity near fresh water. The trail head says 3.7miles to the AT. My Garmin Fenix5 identified the total distance, out and back, at 7.60 miles.

Really fun and beautiful hike! This secluded trail (we didn't hear any road noise in late Dec and didn't see any other people until we got to the AT) winds through a valley, along and over several creeks, and up to a ridge to intersect with the AT. Our GPS put the total length at a bit over 7 mi. The trail is narrow and rocky much of the way, with a number of moderately steep inclines. In Dec, it was covered with a couple inches of leaves that hid the rocks beneath, so plan to proceed with reasonable care unless you want to risk a twisted ankle. We were grateful for our hiking poles, which were also helpful when rock-hopping across the numerous pretty creeks. There had been enough foot traffic to crush the leaves and mark the trail when we were there, but given the infrequent blazing, I'd imagine it could be a bit tricky to find/follow in the fall shortly after the leaves drop. You can hear the sound of running water almost the whole way, and you really feel immersed in the woods. This was a playful hike, and I would definitely recommend.

Beautiful. Creeks a little difficult to cross (but I was in tennis shoes). It could be leaf blown- I was slipping on the rocks I couldn’t see under the 2’ of leaves, but I did go in early dec. Plenty of water sources with the creek nearby.

Set out in the morning it was 36°. The start of the trail was a bit hard to find but we found it and we’re quickly on our way. Our favorite thing about this hike was that there was a water feature or a crossing quite often which breaks up the monotony of a straight walk. The Stream crossings we’re very easy with ample steppingstones. There is a very nice area to view the lake for him with a spot to dip your feet in. A father with a collection of children was putting them to work catching him lunch. We stopped off about a mile and a half in and had a small lunch by a babbling Brooke. Very relaxing.

Great trail.

We hiked this trail 10/16/19, in the middle of the day. NOBODY else was out there, as far as we could tell. Parking was free, and the trailhead was clearly marked. I carried my baby on my back, and it took us about 3 hours of moving time to complete the trek. I logged 7.1 miles on my GPS. The trail was easy to follow. Though there aren't many blazes (light blue), there aren't many intersections or places the trail was washed out. You have to go around a few downed trees/branches, but that was doable. The trail is mostly rocky, but even though it had rained very recently, it wasn't slick. You can see some nice views in the distance, and you can hear water flowing for much of the hike. I think we crossed a total of 8 streams, but none even required getting my feet wet. The last mile or so is a steady ascent, but not technically challenging. There's nothing in particular to see when you reach the AT, so even if you don't go all the way there and are only able to do the first couple miles, it's still worthwhile! Beautiful foliage, flowing creeks, quiet surroundings, fantastic tree cover--I don't know why this trail isn't more popular.

This is a great hike...one of our favorites. Terrain is good for all levels and has many surfaces...like rocks, roots, narrow, wide, leaves, dirt, gravel, small streams and so on....not too step or strenuous. We clocked in 7.3 miles on the apple health app. There are no blazes, but the trial is easy to follow. Great parking area that had a shared restroom. Also, we did not see any snakes or bears! The road from highway to the trailhead is a gravel road, could be an issue if it had been raining.

I liked the grade on this trail. The climbs weren’t so steep they left me gasping for breath and the terrain was varied so you weren’t humping uphill for ridiculous stretches. That being said, a large portion of this trail appears to be an ancient logging road from back in the bad old days before they had such things as best management practices, streamside management zones and switchbacks so the trail does occasionally run straight up the grade (which allows water to flow straight down the grade). There tend to be lots of loose pebble to cobble sized stones in these areas, so if you are prone to ankle issues as I am, wear your good boots. It’s a pleasant trail, no really breathtaking views or anything. The one waterfall I saw had a tree down on top of it.

Not heavily traveled, great hike to take friends that don't hike avidly as it is not a particularly difficult hike; I would rank this as an easy hike. In some areas where it might be "Moderate", I would say it is related to the "rocky" terrain at times. There are a couple of areas along the ridge that the vegetation opens up an offers a great view. The trail had several trees down, there was only one point where we had to step off the trail to get around fallen debris. If you are the first one on the trail, be prepared to carry a long stick to mitigate the amount of spider webs you take to the face!.

Wed Apr 24 2019

I came down this trail off of the AT. Roughly the first two miles are down hill and the remainder is up hill. I didn't encounter another person until I got to the lake. I considered camping there at the lake but there isn't a camp host to take your money, you just feed the box. It was $8 for a spot but with no way to get change for my $20 I just hitched a ride back up to my car at woody gap and went home.

Sat Apr 13 2019

This is a really nice trail! I’m surprised more people don’t use it. I only passed 4 people until I turned onto the AT. The Dockery Lake trail is well-marked and well-maintained with a few rocky sections. The trail starts on a nice ridge with winter views of the mountains before dropping down to the creek. There are several water crossings but they are shallow and have rocks across. I never got my feet wet. There are small campsites scattered along the creek. The trail climbs moderately until it reaches the AT, then it’s mostly easy walking to Preachers Rock. I hiked the entire route from Dockery Lake to Preachers Rock and back in about 4 hours.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Great hike today! The trail had some trees across but was still passable. Moderate traffic not overly so. Beautiful scenery and the view of the waterfall around mile 3 was spectacular. Probably wouldn't be able to see it when the leaves come back. Lots of camping along the trail or you could hang a hammock.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Great.

Sun Nov 18 2018

A really nice hike on a beautiful fall day. Easy to moderate is the correct rating. Walking poles always a plus. I recommend hiking in the fall/winter when the leaves are gone. The real star of this hike is the many cascading streams with their tumbling waterfalls. Many of which would not be visible in the spring/summer due to foliage.

Mon Oct 22 2018

My family and I have hiked this several times but the have always popped out before the AT turn around. Great with our dog as the trail is fairly wide throughout the hike. Great spots along the creek for day camping or hangin in yer hammock!

Tue Sep 04 2018

Only went in two miles before turning back since this was a rehab hike for my girlfriend after back surgery. Fairly well maintained except for a short section with what looked like poison ivy on the edge of the trail and a few blowdowns (3 within 20' of each other). Some areas also look more like water runoff channels than actual trails, but still very navigable. Nice workout, as we got in 750' of elevation gain.