Dockery Lake Trail

Dockery Lake Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dahlonega, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Closed due to hurricane damage.

Only went in two miles before turning back since this was a rehab hike for my girlfriend after back surgery. Fairly well maintained except for a short section with what looked like poison ivy on the edge of the trail and a few blowdowns (3 within 20' of each other). Some areas also look more like water runoff channels than actual trails, but still very navigable. Nice workout, as we got in 750' of elevation gain.

This trail was pretty, and we only got about two miles in before we had to turn around due to time constraints. I will say we would have enjoyed it more had it not been so buggy. There is a lot of vegetation (so not many views other than trees) and spider webs every few feet. We ended up walking with a stick in front of us and still covered in cobwebs. Perhaps a different time of year would have been better. Did not get to see the lake. I still recommend the trail though--finally pretty trees!

Beautiful, peaceful trail with lots of streams and little waterfalls.

This trail is no longer closed. It was an excellent hike, with waterfalls, creeks, elevation, and views.

12-3-17 Parked at the TrailHead just beyond the DLT campground. Walked passed closed signs and hiked up to the AT then left and headed south to Woody Gap.
No reason for this trail to still be "closed" it was safe smooth sailing all the way to the top. You can definitely see where the blowdowns are but they have been removed from the path of the trail. Plenty of creek/river crossings to get (filtered) water. Beautiful woods for the whole hike. Did a shuttle from point A to B.
If you want to hike this trail, I'd say do it. I went through without any problems.
Happy Hiking!!

Didn’t hike too far in . We were just checking out the area and went in about half a mile or so. Looks like good views as you walk along the flank of the mountain Trail is open. You just have to access it from the campground area instead of the day use area. Just wanted to share.

Trail still closed from hurricane damage. Went to hike this weekend up to preacher rock. Had to adjust plan but all had great time. Just wanted everyone to know.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

I enjoyed this hike. Challenging but enjoyable with good scenery and a stream that you cross often and can hear for most of the hike.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Nice hike good uphill challenge.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Nice lush trail with primitive camping opportunities and access to the AT. There is a day parking lot next to the trailhead that allows overnight parking for camping too, and you start at dockery lake and follow the blue blazes. The trail gets steadily harder - I enjoyed the sights and sounds of rushing water more coming back down because I was sweating going up! There are a couple nice smallish spots for solo or couples camping along the way. Dense forest all the way, and I did almost step on a big copperhead. I'd give it five stars if it wasn't for the bugs which were a bit annoying camping. I tried going north when the trail hits the AT and it was more uphill without any views for ~1.5 miles, so I think it's a nicer walk to go south instead at the junction for a mile until preachers rock. Less than two hours to the trailhead from Atlanta, I'll go back sometime!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Great hike!!! The sound of rushing water fills the trail almost the whole hike. Great steam crossings. It's a good uphill about 30 minutes into it but well worth it.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Dog friendly. What an amazing Forrest. So much water and a good hike. Not hard but not easy. Beautiful!!! I will be doing this again!!!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

It's a nice hike with a gradual uphill toward the end. Check out the elevation track and plan accordingly. One of our guide books mentioned a spur trail to Martha Falls but we never found it.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Strenuous at times, not a lot of traffic. A few good sites off the path for solo or couples camping.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Pretty hike up to the AT along a creek bed. It gets steeper as you get near the AT.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

9 miles, I saw 4 people...this trail is challenging, serene and WORTH the effort!

Monday, September 26, 2016

Just finished this trail today. It's a good hike through fairly dense forest crossing small creeks at a few places. Not heavily traveled so it's very serene. Scenic, though there are not really any significant views that I could see. It goes uphill most of the way to the AT, and it was somewhat strenuous at the pace I chose to take it. This is the kind of trail I prefer; it offers a moderate amount of physical exertion but little actual danger or tricky situations. The trail itself is well blazed most of the way and very clearly visible throughout.

After reaching the intersection of the AT, having a little extra time and energy, I elected to follow that trail south for about 1.5 or 2 miles to Preacher's rock overlook. Though not on this trail, that overlook was really great and totally worth the extra miles, especially considering most of the way back was downhill. Though, that overlook can be reached more easily by parking at the Woody Gap parking lot; it's only about a mile or so from there. So if Preacher's rock is your goal, this trail isn't the best way to reach it, though going the shorter way you'll trade the miles for solitude; that route it pretty heavily trafficked. Coming back to this trail, it was a really good walk through scenic forest and I'll definitely recommend it.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Beautiful trail! Easy hike thru lush forest. Great way to jump on the AT for a day too.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Great 7.4 mile trail to the Appalacian Trail and back. The hike is scenic and includes a varying degree of difficulty - steep climbs, narrow pathways, rocky paths, and water ways to cross. The weather was spectacular on the day we hiked low 70's, slight breeze and blue skies. Along the hike we saw green, green, green wooded areas that were beautiful.

Thursday, July 20, 2017