Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Coosa Bald is a 12 mile loop trail located near Suches, Georgia that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,907 feet Route Type: Loop

Winter Views, Waterfalls, Rolling Hills The summit of Coosa Bald is roughly halfway on this loop hike, and at 4,271 feet it has spectacular winter views. Unfortunately, the forest has encroached on the once barren area and it is not possible to see from the summit year round. Other features on the hike include a wilderness statue of Jesus Christ near Calf Stomp Gap and some scenic streams and waterfalls closer to Vogel State Park. This hike follows the Coosa Backcountry Trail and completes a loop hike that starts and ends at Vogel State Park and runs through the Blood Mountain Wilderness area. The 12.7 mile route shares portions of the trial with the Duncan Ridge and Bear Hair Gap Trails and it is a very challenging hike due to frequent ascents and descents in the rolling hills of North Georgia.

If you’re looking for a challenging hike then this is it. The inclines on this trail are insane and they don’t give in. It started pouring during our hike which made this already hard trail even harder since it was slippery and had some flooding. Come prepared with plenty of water, sturdy hiking boots, and the mentality for a strenuous hike.

Incredible trail! It took me just over 6 hours and I was moving at a fairly strong pace. You should definitely be in good shape for this one due to the elevation changes. Gorgeous views (I thought so even in May). I highly recommend this trail for the experienced hiker.

The actual trail deviated from the All Trails map at several points, but still gets you to the right spot. Definitely a difficult hike, but it offers some nice views of the Blood Mountain Wilderness. Took us 6 hours and we logged it at 13.3 miles.

I’m not quite sure what is up with this trail, but parts of it don’t seem to be there anymore. I suspect the trail has been rerouted since the original recording was laid down. I looked for the fork off the Coosa Backwoods Trail near the primitive campground in vain. I finally gave it up and just went on up the CBT and eventually merged back onto the recorded trail again. We got off to a rather late start this morning and rather than push on close to darkness on a poorly marked and thoroughly leaf covered trail, I elected to turn around while there was still some daylight left. Still, a bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work...

Wed Mar 13 2019

Did this as a overnight backpacking trip with The pup starting counter clockwise from Vogel State Park and camping about 5 1/2 miles in near calf stomp pass. Definitely a strenuous hike with a lot of persistent uphill climbs, especially after crossing wolf pen gap Road and entering the blood Mountain wilderness area. I’m glad I did this hike in the winter since the bare trees revealed mountains surrounding you the majority of the hike, though there’s no grand vistas for a nice photo. I went during the week and only ran into one other party each day on the trail. All told, we probably walked for about 8 hours. If you’re doing the overnight trip, stop into the Vogel Park visitor Center and they will provide you a little map that indicates where you can find backcountry campsites and water on the trail. Good if you’re looking for a challenging, quiet trail, and very manageable for the average fitness hiker when broken into two parts.

Sat Mar 18 2017

Hiked it Nov 13, 2016. Started very early morning and finished just before dark. This is a very strenous hike with a few steep ascents. Very challenging, but worth every step. One could easily turn this hike into an overnighter, but it's doable in one day if you start early and don't dawdle. The final few miles could use some better blazing. We weren't really certain we were on the right trail for a while. Luckily we had a map and a compass.

Sun Feb 19 2017

Depending on your agility this can take anywhere from 8-10 hours so come prepared.

Mon Dec 26 2016

Great hike! Started late at 2pm and ran out of daylight and battery life. Cut it short and ran back down the road to the lake in the dark. Was still around 11 miles that took me approximately 4 hours.

Mon Feb 01 2016

Probably my favorite trail in Georgia. Definitely very strenuous and challenging, but it can be done in one day despite not being recommended (a couple friends and I completed it in 7 hours). Awesome views in the winter. I wouldn't recommend using the map from the visitors center, as it was pretty confusing.

Sat Dec 26 2015

This trail is as tough as it gets in the North GA mountains. Be prepared to climb! Defiantly my favorite trail to run.

Mon Nov 30 2015

A fantastic trail! They recommend that you make it an overnight trip; but, it can be done in a day, took me just over 8hrs to complete with a 40lb pack. If you park at the Vogel State Park camping area ($3 parking), it's about 2.5 miles to the trail head, adding just over 5 miles to the hike. Definitely a strenuous hike, but well worth it!

Mon Jan 27 2014

This is a great hike. We went clockwise versus counter as suggested. I think it works better. Good climb to start going up Slaughter Mtn but not that steep. Reasonable. The final climb up Coosa was a little steep but manageable. Beautiful views in Winter. Took about 7 hours with my 17 and 14 year old sons. We ate lunch just off Coosa where Coosa and Duncan Ridge trails diverge. Was great!

Tue Dec 17 2013

Finished this trail today in about 6 hours. It Definitely was strenuous. There are lots of campsites on the way if you want to stay overnight. I was fine in just a sweatshirt for it being mid December. Amazing views.

Fri Feb 03 2012

I did this hike In a day, definitely would rate this hike strenuous! Great hike tho, many great views on the way. Was told black bears where seen recently, didn't see any tho.

Sat Nov 11 2017