Conasauga River Trail is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Crandall, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,223 feet Route Type: Point to Point

The current response to the COVID-19 emergency has closed several trails and recreation sites in Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests. Please see website for up to date info: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/conf/recreation This is a great trail in a remote area for north Georgia. The river is beautiful, especially further north where it really widens out with some large boulders and rock outcroppings in and around the river. This trail would be a cakewalk difficulty-wise if it weren't for the river crossings, but those just add to the fun. The only difficult climbs are at the southern and northern trailheads where you ascend from the river valley up to the parking area. Be hesitant to attempt the northern portions of the trail after heavy rains. As the river widens, there can be a lot of water flowing after a day or two of big rain. Also, the trail blazes can be a little confusing around the river crossings.

It is a great trail will definitely do it again. IT is not for the everyone. There are lots of blow downs for the second half of the trail. Bush wacked the second half of the trail. You will most definitely get a good workout.

It’s a beautiful area with a reasonably smooth road in starting from the north. Only downside is that there are constant blow downs. Couldn’t imagine doing this entire trail with a full pack. Day pack and 5 mile round trip was challenging and time consuming for someone in excellent physical condition. I still recommend checking it out, but manage your ambitions and find a nice spot to hang out and enjoy the ambiance. First mile and a half are relatively easy until the first river crossing. Avoid this trail if there’s been heavy rain recently.

ok, we hike 10 miles + nearly everyweekend, and hike a nearby trail several times a week. This trail although absolutely breathtaking, was an absolute bitc#. The river crossings are a ton, deep, and often very fast moving on very slippery rocks. I know sounds like a cop out, that's what I thought of other reviews! The blowdowns are everywhere, which I normally enjoy them, however its constant, the trail is completely blocked and you have to find it again, which although doable slows you down immensely. we were averaging 1 mph! I have a garmin GPS watch and my boyfriend has giia running the whole time and we both tracked way more miles then stated here. If you go be prepared for a tough few days!

This trail is wild! Gorgeous and secluded. Overgrown with many blow downs in areas which may make some feel uncomfortable as you had to guess where the trail was at times. If you follow the river you won't get lost. Many campsites along the way with dozens of river crossings so prepare to get wet. Trailhead begins along FS-60 and there is parking for a handful of cars. The hike our is entirely uphill with the last quarter mile or so being very steep if carrying a full pack and gear. Will definitely return.

Do not recommend until trail can be cleared. Beautiful river, but very difficult hiking due to large downed trees, briars and shrubs. It seems some strong storms have knocked down many dead trees in past few months, would be a large project to clear the path and because wilderness area I don't think chainsaws allowed so likely will take several months. We are 4 healthy, fit people who regularly hit the gym and have backpacked out West several times, and this trail was a bear due to the constant obstacle course. Also easy to miss river crossings and get lost, even with a map (we had both the Nat Geo and USFS map). We started on Chestnut Lead, turned left on Conasauga River, and then returned to our dropped car via Tearbritches. All in all, would not do again despite gorgeous scenery. Too many injuries and scrapes

Great trail with plenty of river crossings (and slippery rocks - be careful!). Hiking sandals are recommended as you will cross the river every few minutes starting at about mile 1.5-2. Also, the approach to the trail is a gravel road that goes up and down the mountain. I was in a Jeep and though I’d say 4x4 isn’t needed I was glad to have a vehicle that was off road cable. I definitely recommend this hike - it’s a keeper!

Parking lot fits several cars. As other mentioned, the trail is in bad shape and unrecognizable in many parts. It's also fairly easy to end up on the other side of the river due to lack of signage and un-identifiable trail. The water is some of the clearest water I've ever seen in the state. There are a few campsites along the route. This would be an enjoyable summer hike due to the many river crossings -- you WILL get wet! This scenic trail would be an easy 5-star trail only if the trails were better taken care of.

another great trip down this unmarked wilderness river. beautiful.

Many downed trees blocking the trail. Trail was difficult to follow. The rain probably caused some of the problems.

Nice easy hike by the river. Plenty of places to skip rocks and relax. Parking lot has picnic tables and an outhouse

My brother and I did this trail last August. Absolutely beautiful trail. Walks by the river, gorgeous cliffs, easy to maneuver but hard work and rewarding.

tough in spots because of down trees but nothing you can get past. sometimes it is tricky and trail seems to go cold but if you just stick close to the river it normally pops back up. all in all me and my friends had a great time the views are so beautiful.

this trail is in such bad shape that I wouldn't attempt it again without a lineman crew. This spring we made it 3 miles from Betty Gap before it got really bad. Yesterday we started at the opposite end, next to Murrays lake and hiked a miserable 2.4 miles before turning around and calling it a day. After the first crossing the trail was pretty much what you make of it. Where there are bits and pieces of trail it's grown up and covered by blow downs. Hopefully this trail will get some maintenance in the future until then I would make different plans.

Did a through Hike from the NW trail head to Betty Gap on 7/18-7/19... it was not enjoyable. I did this hike maybe 5 years ago with some friends and loved it, a beautiful stroll through some wilderness. But it seems the trail has not been maintained at all since. There were so many down tress, on so many sections of the trail, many of them were extremely difficult to climb over/through. The trail is very poorly marked, and completely overgrown in many sections as well. I have been backpacking for 20 years, and this was the most difficulty I ever had finding and staying on the trail. I had to blaze through several sections to get through. I will go back to this area, because its beautiful, but I will not attempt a through hike again until this trail has been cleared.

So hot. Milk was a bad choice.