Chickamauga Creek Trail

Chickamauga Creek Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rocky Face, Georgia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,033 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Lafayette: Take GA 136 east 9 miles. Turn left onto Ponder Creek Road and go .6 mile. Take the right fork onto Forest Service Road 219 to the end of the road. The trail can also be reached from Forest Service Road 250. To reach forest service road 250, travel GA 136 East from LaFayette for 7 miles to the top of Taylor's Ridge. Turn left (north) onto o FS250. The trail crosses this road at a point approximately 2.6 miles north.

Good hike, I began at 5:07pm, finished at 8:43pm- didn't stop. The trail really needs more blazes/markers.

It’s a nice easy hike. Saw only one other person the entire time I was there. Very quiet and peaceful. Can be overgrown in places and not well marked.

Hiked the loop counterclockwise. Many wildflowers! Saw 2 turtles and 1 black snake. Some overgrowth, including a section where lots of poison ivy is taking over the trail. I don't recommend wearing shorts! Some blow downs, but nothing we couldn't easily get over/around. At about 3.5 miles in, there's a fork in the trail, and it isn't marked. Take the right fork. Despite lots of rain this past weekend, we easily hopped all the creek crossings.

Awesome trail! I highly recommend it! We did the full loop on an early November day after a few days of torrential rains here in the Dalton area. As a result, all of the streams, springs and creeks were swollen. In the part of the trail that goes through the valley floor, there are many streams that are easy to step across in normal conditions, however, on this day, the width of the streams varied from 3 feet to 15 feet in width that we had to cross. We actually had to ford one stream, but were able to leap across with a running start, or make steppingstones for the other ones. We crossed at least 20 streams as we hiked along the valley floor. While these many water challenges added additional challenges to the trek, it also made the completion that much more satisfactory to us. Great trek! We started at the trailhead at 11 AM, and finished the loop at 2:30 PM. We stopped frequently for pictures and to formulate strategies for crossing the many streams. We did not see a single other hiker, and did not hear any traffic or other noise, which gave this loop a refreshing, backcountry feel. Enjoy!

We use this trail as an intro backpacking trail. We camp in the back next to the creek. This essentially gives us two different hikes. A valley hike with lots of pretty creek crossings and a ridge hike with some views. Little to no traffic every time I’ve hiked it. Great trail.

Monday, July 09, 2018

Do not go clockwise!! if you do, space and time folds and the whole loop is somehow uphill. Was so crazy!!

Monday, June 11, 2018

We did the loop counterclockwise June 10, 2018. The loop overall is a good workout but nothing too strenuous up or down. The trail was well marked and in pretty good shape. There are some spots with tall grass grown up but nothing that bad. Most of the water sources are at the beginning (clockwise) or end (counterclockwise). There are no really notable features, but we did see a few turtles, crawfish and an orange salamander. If you live in the Westside area of Whitfield County it certainly is a good option if you want a couple hours of hiking. The trail was very quiet and if you like quiet trails this is one for you. There were several wildflowers along the trail particularly in power line fields you cross 2 times. The access is pretty easy off of 136 between Villanow and LaFayette via a gravel Forrest service road. There are just a few rough spots. The road is narrow and meeting a vehicle in certain spots can present challenges.

Thursday, May 03, 2018

good trail. We went clockwise. I recommend counter clockwise if you don't like steep climbs. took the dogs and they were off leash all day. gives them time to explore. nothing extremely exciting about it other than being able to let the dogs run.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Nice moderate hike. Some climbing, but not strenuous. Many wildflowers, especially in the sections closest to the creek. Quite lovely. My friend and I hiked the loop counterclockwise. Numerous creek crossings! But easy rock hopping, as the water wasn't high. After a big rain, that might be another story. Nearing the end of the loop, the trail dumps you at a 3-way fork (another service road). At this point the trail is not clearly visible, and it took us a bit to realize the trail continued through the intersection on the left. Note: the 2-3 miles you need to drive on Service Road 219 to the trail head is rough, but doable in a truck or SUV.

Monday, February 12, 2018

fantastic!

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Great loop trail mostly well marked. Just started using the app and very accurate so if u do get off trail it’s easy to find your way back. Like one other commented no great views. Lots of water though. This morning at 25deg only saw 2 hunters.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Nice loop trail, well maintained.

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Not a bad trail but other than being a trail, there isn’t much to it. There are no waterfalls or overlooks. The trail is covered this time of year and the blazes are very scarce so sometimes you wonder if you are on the trail. Also, lots of Deer activity and the hunters have hung their sent drops on the trail... so be aware of hiking during deer season. The water crossing on the road isn’t bad, it’s paved but short car might scrape the front bumper coming out of it.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

A little hard to get to on the forest trail in a little car. There's a creek crossing you'll need to get over before getting to the parking lot. Loved what I got to see on the trail, but only about a mile in (counterclockwise) there was a large downed pine making the path impassable. Also tons of spiderwebs with enormous spiders, so make sure to keep an eye out and either duck underneath if you can, or carry a branch to sweep them away.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Only one on the trail it was in pretty good shape easy to follow. My fitbit tracked 7.1 miles for the loop with 96 floors

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Great trail. Easy to navigate. The trail is definitely a better hike counterclockwise. Saw an armadillo . Also a nice overlook just under halfway. We are newbie hikers and it took us 3 hrs on the dot. Very peaceful and nice scenery. My daughter and I did this today in 30° weather with moderate winds. Still very enjoyable! This app is awesome and super helpful.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Nice hi Jk. Very dog friendly pretty easy there's a little elevation not bad and as one review that I read. I would recommend doing trail counter clockwise

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Great well-maintained trail.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

This trail was great! Very peaceful and relaxing!

Saturday, November 19, 2016

great hike today

Friday, November 18, 2016

Great trail, well worn, marked with blazes and permanent post markers. Hiked today counter clock-wise (which I'd recommend as others have) amongst the beautiful fall foliage in 2 hours. The creeks had water in them but was low with the drier weather. Great cardio workout with the elevation changes on the trail. Didn't pass any hikers or hunters on the trail today.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Great trail with lots of variety.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

3 1/2 hours....easy pace... GREAT HIKE!!!!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

The hike took us 3 hrs to do an easy pace. We did this hike September 10th. The creek was all dried up because of no rain. We saw a few wildflowers, a hawk, a chipmunk. a turtle, and a few butterfly's, there was a lot of spider webs we walked through, I don't think the trail is hiked a lot. Ok hike, would have been better if there was actually a creek.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Thought is was a great beginner trail to do an overnighter. Was really, really hot when we did it (mid June), because of how still the air was but at night it was great. If you are wanting to make this a two day trip (and are doing the loop counter clockwise) there is a great little campsite on the right hand side of the trail around 4 miles in. Running water with a pool for refills even when it has been dry. If just a day hike, I'd rate this a 3.5 for lack of views during late spring through early fall.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

This is a long one. It has some good climbs and can get your heart rate up. The 6.2 miles advertised is lite. The gps on this app showed 7.5 miles.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Nice little loop trail. Would say it's easy/moderate. The road to the parking lot requires a creek crossing. No water available on the first half of the trail if going counter-clockwise (which I suggest) and that section has a fair amount of elevation gain so ensure dogs fill up before. Ran into a few people on the trail, all with dogs. No views but nice scenery otherwise.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Not to much to look at but, I was extremely distracted by all the spiderwebs that seemed to fly into my face the entire time. A good hike to take the dog out on and pleasantly secluded.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

We hiked this trail on a saturday. Did not meet any other hikers. Trail was grown up in several places. I ended up with lots of small cuts on my legs and would recommend wearing pants if possible. Nicely shaded pathway. Would recommend counter clockwise path. Long hills! Great workout! Took 4 hrs to complete for novice hiker.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

I loved the isolation, only saw one couple the entire time. longer than it's listed as, but beautiful elevation scenery changes.