Chickamauga Creek Trail

Chickamauga Creek Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rocky Face, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Lafayette: Take GA 136 east 9 miles. Turn left onto Ponder Creek Road and go .6 mile. Take the right fork onto Forest Service Road 219 to the end of the road. The trail can also be reached from Forest Service Road 250. To reach forest service road 250, travel GA 136 East from LaFayette for 7 miles to the top of Taylor's Ridge. Turn left (north) onto o FS250. The trail crosses this road at a point approximately 2.6 miles north.

Nice moderate hike. Some climbing, but not strenuous. Many wildflowers, especially in the sections closest to the creek. Quite lovely. My friend and I hiked the loop counterclockwise. Numerous creek crossings! But easy rock hopping, as the water wasn't high. After a big rain, that might be another story. Nearing the end of the loop, the trail dumps you at a 3-way fork (another service road). At this point the trail is not clearly visible, and it took us a bit to realize the trail continued through the intersection on the left. Note: the 2-3 miles you need to drive on Service Road 219 to the trail head is rough, but doable in a truck or SUV.

fantastic!

Great loop trail mostly well marked. Just started using the app and very accurate so if u do get off trail it’s easy to find your way back. Like one other commented no great views. Lots of water though. This morning at 25deg only saw 2 hunters.

Nice loop trail, well maintained.

Not a bad trail but other than being a trail, there isn’t much to it. There are no waterfalls or overlooks. The trail is covered this time of year and the blazes are very scarce so sometimes you wonder if you are on the trail. Also, lots of Deer activity and the hunters have hung their sent drops on the trail... so be aware of hiking during deer season. The water crossing on the road isn’t bad, it’s paved but short car might scrape the front bumper coming out of it.

A little hard to get to on the forest trail in a little car. There's a creek crossing you'll need to get over before getting to the parking lot. Loved what I got to see on the trail, but only about a mile in (counterclockwise) there was a large downed pine making the path impassable. Also tons of spiderwebs with enormous spiders, so make sure to keep an eye out and either duck underneath if you can, or carry a branch to sweep them away.

Only one on the trail it was in pretty good shape easy to follow. My fitbit tracked 7.1 miles for the loop with 96 floors

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Great trail. Easy to navigate. The trail is definitely a better hike counterclockwise. Saw an armadillo . Also a nice overlook just under halfway. We are newbie hikers and it took us 3 hrs on the dot. Very peaceful and nice scenery. My daughter and I did this today in 30° weather with moderate winds. Still very enjoyable! This app is awesome and super helpful.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Nice hi Jk. Very dog friendly pretty easy there's a little elevation not bad and as one review that I read. I would recommend doing trail counter clockwise

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Great well-maintained trail.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

This trail was great! Very peaceful and relaxing!

Saturday, November 19, 2016

great hike today

Friday, November 18, 2016

Great trail, well worn, marked with blazes and permanent post markers. Hiked today counter clock-wise (which I'd recommend as others have) amongst the beautiful fall foliage in 2 hours. The creeks had water in them but was low with the drier weather. Great cardio workout with the elevation changes on the trail. Didn't pass any hikers or hunters on the trail today.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Great trail with lots of variety.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

3 1/2 hours....easy pace... GREAT HIKE!!!!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

The hike took us 3 hrs to do an easy pace. We did this hike September 10th. The creek was all dried up because of no rain. We saw a few wildflowers, a hawk, a chipmunk. a turtle, and a few butterfly's, there was a lot of spider webs we walked through, I don't think the trail is hiked a lot. Ok hike, would have been better if there was actually a creek.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Thought is was a great beginner trail to do an overnighter. Was really, really hot when we did it (mid June), because of how still the air was but at night it was great. If you are wanting to make this a two day trip (and are doing the loop counter clockwise) there is a great little campsite on the right hand side of the trail around 4 miles in. Running water with a pool for refills even when it has been dry. If just a day hike, I'd rate this a 3.5 for lack of views during late spring through early fall.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

This is a long one. It has some good climbs and can get your heart rate up. The 6.2 miles advertised is lite. The gps on this app showed 7.5 miles.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Nice little loop trail. Would say it's easy/moderate. The road to the parking lot requires a creek crossing. No water available on the first half of the trail if going counter-clockwise (which I suggest) and that section has a fair amount of elevation gain so ensure dogs fill up before. Ran into a few people on the trail, all with dogs. No views but nice scenery otherwise.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Not to much to look at but, I was extremely distracted by all the spiderwebs that seemed to fly into my face the entire time. A good hike to take the dog out on and pleasantly secluded.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

We hiked this trail on a saturday. Did not meet any other hikers. Trail was grown up in several places. I ended up with lots of small cuts on my legs and would recommend wearing pants if possible. Nicely shaded pathway. Would recommend counter clockwise path. Long hills! Great workout! Took 4 hrs to complete for novice hiker.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

I loved the isolation, only saw one couple the entire time. longer than it's listed as, but beautiful elevation scenery changes.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

The trail loop is actually 7.2 miles. It's a really nice trail even though it's kind of hidden away off the main road. Some of the trail marks are not there, especially the last mile. Just follow the beaten path and you'll find your way. We went on a Saturday in July and we didn't see any other hikers. It's a shame because it's a good trail.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

The trail is mostly shaded. It's nice loop that can be done in half a day.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Quick fun loop.

Monday, March 09, 2015

Overall the trail was nice with a few spots that were a bit difficult. as we came to the end of the trail, we had to slosh around through the creek that criss crossed across the trail. regretfully, the trail was not clearly marked near the end and we got lost for 3 or 4 hours after the trail was supposed to be over. it got so bad that when it started to get dark we had to call the park services through the 911 directory. I recommend taking some survival gear if you want to attempt this trail. Have fun!

Friday, January 30, 2015

this is a nice trail. its pretty much everything i would look for in an average hike. i would recommend hiking this loop trail counter clockwise which i believe is the intended route. plenty of wildlife present as i saw two turkeys and a variety of birds plus signs of other land bond animals.

Monday, June 09, 2014

Maybe a little more on the 'easy" side than 'moderate" but nice. There are places on the trail that are flat and wide enough to walk abreast. When I think of moderate difficulty, I usually think of narrower and steeper, but it did have some inclines and some descents. Pretty woodlands and interesting site of Confederate encampment. Small stream water crossings that were more like ditches on the day we went. No exceptional overlooks though.

Monday, June 09, 2014

Very nice trail completed in 3 1/2 hours went on a Sunday and met other hikers you will hear birds throughout the trail, I did hear a donkey so it must not be too far away from a farm

Friday, February 21, 2014

This trail is a nice day hike trail. It gives you a little bit of everything you wanna see. Nice woodlands, hidden valleys, a nice view from the top of a ridge, and plenty of little streams to cross. I hiked it on a Monday and there was no one there until later in the day. It is a fairly popular trail on the weekends though. There is a lot of fallen trees on the trail to maneuver around but other than that no complaints.