Burnt Mountain Preserve Trail

Burnt Mountain Preserve Trail is a 1.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jasper, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Burnt Mt. Preserve, a county-owned 900 acre Preserve, begins at the 2,500 foot elevation on the southern border along Rt 136 and extends southward toward Grandview Lake. The land drops off steeply to the south into Champion Creek valley in the bottom land of the Preserve. The Preserve Trail begins at the parking lot and loops through the upper portion of the western section of the Preserve. The trail is rated Moderate. The trail after dropping down through about 150 feet of elevation will then drop another 250 feet. Then it is back uphill to the parking lot.

Eh... not much to talk about...
It was okay.

Went on the longest trail, was a 2 mile hike. One down and one up. You decline close to 800ft elevation and have to walk right back up. I am overweight and not the best hiker, we go sometimes, but this trail was strenuous to me. I made it though. Would do it again. Recommend you have lots of water. There is fresh water at the bottom of you don’t mind creek water. Lots of rocks and trunks and roots. We loved it. I am sore though haha.

Wasn't terrible. Had a good time but I won't go again unless I go on the longest one that's more difficult because there isn't much to see on the trail I went on which was the moderate one

I'm no expert hiker, but I would call this a pretty rough go. the scenery is beautiful, there is no water in the creeks, and I swear it was uphill both ways. starts off on an incline then you get a little rest and look around and the last part is a booger. We will go back but we're probably going to start on the easy Trail first.

This is basically plundering around in the woods. The trail is lightly treaded for sure, hard to even see a trail at times. Theres going to be spider webs every 20 yards, be prepared. Creek wasn't really worth it. Saw a bear that was cool. But seriously not worth it.

The white marker trail is more like 3 miles than the advertised 2 miles. Very steep hike on the back half. You'll pay to see the river/creek at the half way point. Moderate/Difficult

Excellent short hike, especially the steep incline in the last quarter mile helps to get your heart rate up.

As others have stated, the trail is steep and challenging (perhaps why it's named the champion trail). It takes time to descend to the creek without slipping. If you're not one who frequents inclines, then this could pose a problem. If you're cautious and watching your step then it is no problem. Should you barrel through with the intent of mastering the trail within a half hour then you're not going to have a good time. Be patient, enjoy nature, and challenge yourself - that's what this trail is all about.

Did the champion trail loop. Nice view of surrounding mountains in winter. Can't say peaceful stroll except at the bottom along the creek bed. Steep and slippery in places going down and relentless, heart-pounding climb back up. Steep and leaves make it slippery and hard to see roots or rocks.

I went and I must say it was steep & the leaves made it very hard.. I thought it was a shorter hike but the champion trail is quite a challenge if ur not in shape.. I made it almost through it but got nerves cause it was getting dark.. there is only marker on 1 side of the tree which I decided to turn back which made it hard to stay on trail .. pls be aware of the champion trail is for very fit ppl

Leaves make for a slippery downhill on the yellow trail but it's a challenging and pretty hike. I'll be back.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Monday, October 31, 2016

champion trail this morning. Short loop but the last half is challenging. The creek would look amazing if we ever get any rain. Very peaceful. Should have better views when all the foliage falls. Will be back!