Brasstown Bald Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(365)
Brasstown Wilderness

Brasstown Bald Trail is a 1.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hiawassee, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 423 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

fee

NOTE: As of April 2020, the road leading to the trailhead is closed due to COVID-19. Please check the park website for more information. From the lower parking lot to the tower and back is 7 miles. You can also drive to the base of the tower and make it a short one half mile jaunt.

The road to the visitor center is closed. I parked at the bottom and walked up the road to the visitor center and then up the trail. It is very steep. It’s worth it for the views. In all out and back it was 6.5 miles. We did see bears off in the trees so make sure you are aware of your surroundings.

Started at the lower Brasstown Bald parking lot and took the Jack’s Knob Trail to the deserted upper lot. Walked across and then did the summit trail to the top. Everything was closed and the water is shut off, but the views were incredible, and we had the place mostly to ourselves. Round trip, it ended up being about eight miles, lightly trafficked. Beautiful woods. This is a strenuous, almost all uphill ascent towards the summit, a bit of a break across a ridge, along with a great little lookout on the ridge. Lots of wicked little switchbacks that will get your heart pumping. Take plenty of water.

Definitely a challenge but worth it if you extend to the top of Brasstown Bald for some spectacular views! The trail was a little overgrown with a couple blow downs but still passable.

did the hike on May 17th, 2020. The road At the lower parking lot to drive to brasstown bald was closed. you can either start at Jack's Knob trail (in the forest) or hike on the concrete car road to brasstown bald. It might be easier to start at Jack's Knob trail, because it is not as a steep incline as the road and a shorter distance going at an incline. Also Jack's Knob trail provides more shade than the road so it might be better if it is hot and sunny. you'll eventually hit the parking lot and the fee entrance at brasstown Bald, then hike another half mile on the summit trail to the observation deck. The summit trail is right by the bathrooms. You could keep hiking on the road but that is more steep and will take longer. Both of the bathrooms were closed at the parking lot and at the observation deck. at the observation deck, there was a tower where you can go up the stairs to see the view at a higher point, but the door was locked. start the hike at about 9:00 a.m. and it took about 4 hours and 10 minutes with a break at the top and 3-4 mini breaks. we started from the road going up and coming down from Jack's knob. The hike round trip, was about 6.4 miles. The hike was hard, but not strenuous. It was a little overcast and was windy and chilly at the observation area. Wished I brought a long sleeve shirt or a light jacket so I could have enjoyed the observation area a little more.

Lower parking lot and trail to the top is open as of 4/28 (confirmed with ranger district). Hiked up from the bottom and had the whole peak to ourselves.

It’s beautiful up here, but the road is closed due to the corona virus. If you come, be prepared to hike up to the visitor’s center.

I hiked up from the Lower Lot which is ~7 miles round trip. The Upper Lot and everything up at Brasstown Bald was closed due to COVID-19. This made it a STELLAR hike. With only a few people attempting it, when I got up to the observation deck, I had the entire place to myself. Not a single soul up there. The views are amazing.

We parked at the visitor center (closed in March) and walked the 3/4 mile paved trail to the top. Pretty steep for a paved trail. The views were closed out by clouds and of course once we got back to truck the clouds lifted. Fun hike with the family and plenty of places to have a picnic. Best on a Sunny day.

fee

This is a great hike for the whole family. If you have any family with mobility issues they can meet you at the top by taking the van from March through April. It's a very steep but short trail from the upper parking area to the tower and visitor center up top. We have done this many times and it never gets old. We've been generally lucky that it's normally not busy but I'm sure it can get very crowded in the fall around the leaf change.

Steep but worth the views !

A perfect little trail for the family to spend the day out doors! It was 28 degrees when we hiked the path to the top but enjoyed the awesome view the whole time!

Steep incline on approach on the paved road (closed to traffic for the winter) a great cardio workout! Then hiked down the trail - surrounded by mountain laurel— still pretty even for 37°F in fogged out conditions.

fee

Great trail, steep. Views are breathtaking. Worth the effort. Due to rain did not see more than 4 people during the entire trail.

Well paved road. Moderate challenging hike. Steep all the way up and down. Plan your visit. Don’t go on a rainy day, there will be no visibility. You can’t enjoy the overlooks. The highest point of Georgia is a must visit by hike. There is a fee for the trail. During rainy days I believe the fee counter will be closed.

short but really steep paved walk way. the views are fantastic

fee

Started at Jacks Gap. This added about 4 miles distance (round trip) and 1300 feet of elevation. Great hike.

Super steep for a stroller! However the views are amazing!

Fantastic views. Absolutely worth the visit. We went right at sundown and were about the only folks out there.

fee

Paved walking trail, but you’re walking uphill all 0.6 miles. There’s a shuttle service you have to pay for to take you up and down. There was lots of ice on the trail, which was beautiful.

Walked this today with my family on a bluebird morning. Great views at the top. Easy hike up a paved trail with plenty of rest stops along the way. I will definitely be doing this one again whenever friends visit for the view alone.

I parked down on Hwy 180 for this hike, so it sort of naturally divides this hike into the two halves, the Brasstown side and the AT side. I tackled Brasstown first because I knew it was going to be a wicked climb. The footing was pretty decent and the switchbacks kept the grade at a manageable level. The trail officially knocks off in the parking lot for the bald, but that close to the top, there was no way I wasn’t going all the way up. Not a bad hike, so I elected to shoot for the AT when I got back down the hill. The elevation gain on the AT side really surprised me. Looking at the elevation profile on the map, it looks pretty easy but then you are comparing it to the highest mountain in the state. The footing on the AT side is not as good as the Brasstown side, but I’ve still hiked plenty of trails that were worse. I was worried about running out of daylight, so I set my alarm for a 4 PM turnaround since I’d left my headlamp in my toolbox at work like an idiot. I made it to the AT with 8 minutes to spare and was back at my car with daylight to spare. There have been some pretty hard freezes up here lately, and yellowjackets no longer seem to be an issue.

Only came down the trail. But very easy. Keep it slow and steady so you dont slip.

fee

Steep but paved the whole way.

Short and steep trail up to the view, but it’s paved and easy to navigate. Stunning views, especially for sunrise on a clear morning ☀️⛰

i had so much fun here. hiking the trail was nice but since all the employees were great, friendly and helpful i had to take the ride back up to the tower just to see in the driver was just as good. yep, great man and funny too. oh yeah you'll love the views too :)

Well maintained, but it’s a climb! The view is worth it

Steep incline but short in and out trail. Great views at the top!