Brasstown Bald Trail

Brasstown Bald Trail is a 1.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hiawassee, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From the lower parking lot to the tower and back is 7 miles. You can also drive to the base of the tower and make it a short one half mile jaunt.

I took the Jack's Knob trail from the lower lot to the summitt. It was a slow burner, easy but, eventually you start feeling the ascent in your lungs and calves. One of my all time favorite summitt views.

Straight up but goes quick. Very developed but the views are worth the trip.

great 360 view

Cold and windy, hard freeze this morning 29 degrees and fog on the summit.

We saw 3 states from here. Most beautiful place. And easy hike.

it's a paved trail but it is steep.

Foggy in the morning so the view was hampered, but it was a beautiful walk in a historic area. Glad we did it!

Awesome view at the top

Great scenery! Great workout of quads and glutes for sure!!

Hiked just the summit for the sense of achievement to get to the top amazing view of 5 states nearly 5000 feet up, right at cloud level the day I went. The trail itself is a paved path and is switchbacks to overcome the steepness. Runs from the lot to the structure and massive panoramic viewing platforms at the top.

It's a very well paved and easy trail. The view is amazing!

It's a very nice paved trail with an abundance of rhododendron and mountain laurels. It is pretty steep though!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

We had the choice to either walk up a steep but short (20 minutes?) paved trail (with starting-to-bloom mountain laurel and rhododendron in early June) or take the regular shuttle bus. We (middle-aged couple) walked -- as did some families with young kids, some elderly, etc. Trail had some interpretive signs and a few benches for those who needed a break. Visitor center on top featured a short film, small museum (see the lifelike commentary by the 2 "mannequins", and the to-die-for 360-degree views. We were fortunate; views were clear. After short snack at picnic tables (far end of parking lot, unshaded), we decided to take short hike to nearby (driving) High Shoals waterfall. Sharp turn off Rte 75 onto dirt road with a lot of ruts. Came soon after to a deep flowing creek that we decided was too deep for our car. We did, however, see a Jeep go through without problem. We decided to go elsewhere.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Nice short trail with a great view at the top, and paved all the way up so the biggest challenge is just the steepness.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

I liked the short hike and the views. As a peak bagger from California, it was a bonus prize as I discovered the Georgian trails.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Only 3rd or 4th mountain I've ever hiked. Very steep but quite short so it's not too bad. View is great!

Friday, February 24, 2017

Paved all the way up, which makes for an easy walk. Great views once you get to the top.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Amazing vistas but a steep uphill climb, bring some extra water with you when heading up. Wagon trail is also a great hike if you want to extend the trip.

Thursday, February 02, 2017

Have done this a few times and it never disappoints. The view speaks for it self.

Saturday, December 24, 2016

highest peak in GA but other than that it's just a open view kind of lack luster hike

Friday, November 18, 2016

Loved the walk. Beautiful view. Even with the smoke.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Neat place. There were active wildfires in the area that made seeing to the next ridge near impossible in all directions. Paved but steep trail.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Short paved trail, easy but uphill. Couldn't see mountains because of the clouds, but still a cool experience

Sunday, August 07, 2016

A short, but very steep hike. 360 degree views. I went once at sunset, which was my favorite trip.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Nice views, hardly an escape into the wilderness though.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

I walked this trail while visiting a friend in Blairsville. The hike itself was beautiful, just not as long of a trail as I'm used to. GORGEOUS outlook and really cute souvenir shop though!

Monday, July 04, 2016

Nice easy walk. Great for kids. I love the overlook from the tower even though it is very crowded. I would recommend it for families that just want to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Walk from a parking lot, up a heavily populated dirt trail, to a building swarming with people. Or take the bus instead of the 10 minute walk. Pavement everywhere. Views from the top negated by the fact that you're on a giant manmade staffed structure with a gift shop.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

It was a very nice, steep walk with the family. Our little ones (4 & 7) enjoyed the walked and being able to stop at different places to read plaques. Very happy with our experience.

Monday, April 04, 2016

Its fun going to the highest point in GA, but it is a walk, not a hike. Paved path up and down but relatively steep so it will get your heart rate going.