Blood Mountain and Freeman Loop Trail

Blood Mountain and Freeman Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,545 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south for 12 miles. Turn right into the Byron Herbert Reece Memorial and continue to the parking lot on the left.

Definitely rocky but great variety of terrain and view at the summit.

Lots of rocks, I did freeman first then went to the summit.

late review my wife and I hiked this Jan 6. The very beginning is steep but very easy to step. The views are spectactular at the top. Once you begin the Freemon Loop back around there are lots of small rocks on the path. Makes for a slower pace because you have to carefully step to avoid turning an ankle.

Loved this trail. went the freman side up and i think that was the easist. less people on that side. ver peacfeul. hiked on 1-26 Sunday and there were alot of people up top...so trail down wasnt as peacful.

Great hike today, a difficult but rewarding experience, it starting snowing when we reached the summit, it was awesome. highly recommended for people who know what they are getting into. very rocky

flooded

icy

Great hike. Views are worth the steep walk especially on a sunny day line today. Rocky so you need to watch your ankles. Took me about 2.5h to do it with some breaks here and there.

Me and a friend went yesterday, 1/19/2020. Trail was in good shape; however, there were a lot more rocks (mostly giant granite rocks) to hike across, mostly on the Freeman side. We had clear skies and could see the city of Atlanta in the distance. Fantastic views. would recommend this hike.

I have to say the Freeman Trail proper is one of the rockiest beasts I have been down in a while. I fully believe you could run a couple of quarter mile sections without touching boots to soil. While it seemed to me the trail was fairly level, it was impossible to make good time on it for all the rocks. At least they aren’t for the most part, smaller rocks which tend to twist and roll underfoot. The storm the previous night did a pretty descent job clearing the leaves from the trail or compacting those which were left, so at least I could see where the footing was. It was a very pretty day to be outdoors, amazingly clear after the front had rolled through. I was a bit disconcerted to see so many people starting the trail so late in the day. Some of them looked like they knew what they were doing, but many did not. Hopefully they had enough sense to turn back before it got dark. A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work, and while this route will never be my favorite way to the top of Blood Mountain, I’m glad we went.

Nice trail, I took the Freeman path that traversed the backside and then came from behind up to blood mountain and then back down the front of it, was a good loop.

Nice views. Well worth it.

flooded

icy

This is a really cool trail with a spectacular view at the top. It was very muddy when we went and icy in places. The trail isn’t always very well marked and it is very rocky in some places.

Spent the night, got cold and windy but it’s fine with the proper gear. Took us about 2 hours to get up and less than 1 to get back down. Would not recommend staying in the shelter.