Blood Mountain and Freeman Loop Trail

Blood Mountain and Freeman Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south for 12 miles. Turn right into the Byron Herbert Reece Memorial and continue to the parking lot on the left.

We hiked this trail earlier today. there were quite a few groups of people but not crowded. I took my six year old and only saw one other group with children. mine was fine, he tripped a couple of times on the rocks. This is a hard trail, but very rewarding! You are climbing over rocks and boulders for a bit of the trail. I recommend going when there are clear skies, there was quite a bit of fog and at the top there were no good views because of that. There was a valley close to the top that we enjoyed quite a bit though!

Excellent hike and stunning views from the top of Blood Mountain. It was pretty crowded on a late morning weekday during Spring Break. But since we continued the loop to continue to the Freeman Trail, it was less crowded coming down the mountain than if we had backtracked back down like every other group was doing. Ran into a few AT through hikers. The last 2 miles is the Freeman Trail and we only saw one other person on it. We did this with kids (11 and 4) so it took almost double the time as what most people take for the loop because of many extended breaks to rest the little one's legs. But we planned for it to be an all day thing so it was a great adventure for them. I wouldn't recommend the full 6 mile loop for most people with small children unless you know your child can handle it. The last 2 miles on the Freeman Trail can be daunting for them since it is a lot of boulders and rocks after being tired out by the summit climb.

Beautiful hike. A little challenging but definitely worth it!

Did this trail in March 2018 and it’s a great day hike. The first 2/3 of the Trail ascends up Blood Mountain gradually with a pretty good push to the summit, then descends steeply over the finally mile and a half. The trail itself isn’t as established which gives it a very rustic adventurous feel as you hike the Blood Mountain ridge line. The second half of the hike loops back on the AT giving you a chance to run into AT through hikers. Not too difficult would definitely recommend.

My dog, Rezin, and I hiked the loop today, and I couldn’t be happier with how awesome it was. Weather was a little cloudy so it gave some nice shade. Great water access for majority of the hike. I didn’t need to get out my dog bowl, he was sipping from small creeks and puddles pretty much every time we took a break. The view from the peak of blood Mountain is out of this world! Decent amount of people on the trail, but all friendly and majority had dogs but they were friendly as well. Great place to also camp, so I plan on doing that next time! Overall, it was an absolutely beautiful and stunning hike!

Great hike

Watch out for ice and mud, but the trail is in good shape.

One of my favorite trails! Definitely a little difficult, but you'll be fully rewarded with the view at the top!

Great hike some ice on the trail but you could bypass most icy patches. This hike was recommended by a few websites as a top winter hike in north GA. They were right beautiful Mountain View’s all the way. Be sure to climb the rocks by the shelter at the summit that’s where the best views are.. as far as difficulty I would say moderate to hard but defiantly I saw dogs and children that made it to the summit with no problems.

Cold as it gets. Hit the trail at 8:30 this morning and the air temperature was at 7. Beautiful views and vistas although I only spent about 15 minutes at the top.
Trail conditions: deep frozen tundra with some slick spots along the hike.

Great scenic views nearing the summit, best one before you reach the shelter. Freeman trail relatively easy but has some great rock scrambles. Get there early as parking is limited.

It was icy and muddy at times with a lot of rock scrambling to get up some of the inclines making it a challenging and fun hike. There was one part that was hard to see the trail marker on the Appalachian because the marker was worn. Other than that I highly recommend this trail it was a blast and the views at the top were worth it.

Fun hike with some stretches of uphill that make it somewhat strenuous. I went in late December and had great weather (lower 50's). Didn't see a single person until I got to Blood Mountain, on the way down passed about 60! This was on a weekday so my guess is weekends the part of the trail that goes up/down the mountain is very crowded.

It was icy, snowy, and muddy at times. It was a great adventure. Lots of scrambling up rocks and inclines to get up!

Best view was just before the summit. Down hill to Freeman trail was a nice break but expect to engage those quads again on Freeman.

Perfect time of the year to hike this hard loop. This is a must do for the serious hiker only.

Absolutely beautiful trail! We went last weekend when it was really cold but my eight-year-old daughter made it to the top no problem!

The views at the summit are absolutely amazing!

Great hike. Started at Neel's Gap at the mountain store. Hike in and up was just that, up. Taking my time and taking a few breaks was worth it. Only passed a handful of hikers coming down. Great views! Best views are the outcropping right before the summit or the rock right past the summit next to the shelter. The summit's view is obstructed by plant life and trees. But I was there in November and had a decent view. The hike down the western side is rocky and a lot of tree roots. Going up on eastern side was easier. The split off the AT to Freeman's trail is well marked. Freeman's trail is marked with blue blazes but it could use a few more. Not many areas for views on Freeman's trail. It gets tight at points and there are a couple of boulder fields, though small, you have to climb over. You cross a couple of creeks or water flows. You will get the feeling you are in the back-country for sure! It can be a little difficult at times but it isn't anything that can't be conquered as long as you are in fairly good shape. I am a 55 yo and not in that great of shape and I made it. Just take breaks and you will be fine. It took me 4 hours to complete the hiking part of the trails. I am a slow hiker and enjoy the surroundings.

Was a quick but steep ascent to the peak with a longer more moderate descent. Didn’t get many views on way up or down but the peak was great. Some easy to climb rocks next to shelter gave me the best views.

The trail had some nice interest on the way down to keep me focused on the sights and not the legs. A few difficult to navigate intersections of trail but I had downloaded the map and handled. Without GPS i would have been less sure of my choices.

Overall a good day hike. Fall was gorgeous and not very crowded.

Started by taking the AT to the peak. I've seen others pictures, so I know the views are awesome, however for us, the fog settled in.
I did enjoy leaving the peak and heading toward the Freeman Trail, no traffic other then us. very relaxing.

This hike was incredible. The views were worth it. We hiked up the Freeman and back down the AT. It was difficult but the views made it completely worth the effort.

Loop is perfect length for day hike. Elevation not too bad. Very rocky so pay attention. Breathtaking views at summit.

First hike of the season and first hike pregnant. Gorgeous hike, definitely want to do it again when I have more energy and the leaves have changed. The pups loved it, and now they are all passed out! Win, win.

This hike was absolutely amazing. It’s the best one I’ve done in north Georgia so far. While there are some difficult parts it was well worth it for the views. And just when you think you saw the prettiest of you you walk a little further and it gets even better.

Challenging Trail with plenty of rocks and roots.

The trail was nice and the views are pretty solid. It's not a very long hike but is fairly steep. The trail was very crowded, especially at the summit. There were probably 20 college kids with hammocks in front of every view and their gear spread out all over the place. The are was beautiful if not for being so heavily trafficked and if the folks there were more respectful of the environment and other people that visit. I'm glad our natural resources are becoming more popular but I wish people would be more mindful of preserving them. Also, make sure you only park in designated spots. They ticket here frequently, we parked in the parking area, off the road and not over any vegetation or anything like that and got a $55 ticket for not being in a designated spot. There were about 20 other cars in similar situations with similar tickets. I would advise going on a weekday and get there early.

Strenuous climb, beautiful views. I would not recommend dogs on this trail. Mine ended with significant paw trauma from all the rocks

We hiked the Blood Mountain trail out and back and camped at the top! The trail was very well-marked. It's not an easy hike (especially with a load on your back), but it's 100% worth it. I loved watching the sunset over the mountains from the top. They had several great campsites along the trail.