Blood Mountain and Freeman Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south for 12 miles. Turn right into the Byron Herbert Reece Memorial and continue to the parking lot on the left.

This was a tremendously enjoyable hike that was rocky at times but provided a wonderful scenic overlook. The hike was not overly strenuous but would up your cardio in places. Although the trail is dog friendly, it could be tough for small dogs. They would need to be lifted over some of the larger rocks. As others have noted, the Freeman trail was sparsely traveled, but the Appalachian Trail on a Saturday afternoon was a steady stream of hikers. We hiked the Freeman Trail first and then looped back on the Appalachian Trail. Unfortunately, we were hiking against the steady flow of AT hikers.

We love Blood Mountain! It’s a challenging hike, but the views are beautiful and well worth the effort!

Loved this hike! I went up Byron Reece and got a little turned around at the intersection of AT and Freeman’s- I ended up going around Freeman’s Loop and hiking back down the AT. About 7 miles in all today.... the view at the top of the rocks by Blood Mountain Shelter are great! I would rate the hike as moderate- maybe moderately difficult for a new hiker- didn’t expect it to be so rocky! Glad I had my trail shoes on! Took about 3 hours with about a 25 minute rest at the shelter. I’d do again and come up the AT and back down freeman

Beautiful hike and amazing day. Me and my wife completed in 3.5 hours. It starts with Byron Reece trailhead and there is 0.7 miles of rocky stairs meeting at intersection for Freeman and Appalachian Trail. We took AT to climb and loop back to freeman trail. AT its bit heavily trafficked and freeman trail path is low trafficked. Freeman Trail is rocky and it rained today, so was very slippery. But overall the view from top calls for another visit to this beauty.

Its out first hike on Appalachian Trail

Arrived 9am on a Sunday morning in early October. Parking lot was almost full but still a few spots. Seems to be a popular spot for overnight camping so weekend mornings are probably the worst in terms of parking, along with holidays.

Went up the AT and down Freeman - found this hike pretty easy, got up in just over an hour. Couple of good spots for views but not too many tbh.

Freeman descent was very easy, it was very wet but still not a single area where I was concerned.

Overall not much of a challenge for anyone used to hiking.

Keep in mind all reviews are relative - I hike a lot.

Pretty nice views from the top of Blood Mountain Trail. Overall it’s a bit of a rocky hike and when I went it had just rained so it is a bit slippery. There is one part after the freeman trail meets the Byron Reese And Appalachian trails that it is difficult to see where the AT goes next. The freeman trail is a bit narrow on the way back.

The hike was absolutely amazing. We stayed and watched the sunset at the top and hiked down via the AT with headlamps. It was by far the best sunset I’ve seen in GA! It took us about an hour and a half to get up and maybe 45 minutes to get down but we hiked at a pretty quick pace. Not the easiest hike but definitely not horribly challenging.

if you follow the map, you'll park at the Byron Reece trail head off of US 19. the Byron Reece trail connects the parking lot to the Appalachian trail. read this next part twice. the Byron Reece trail is stairs. 0.7 miles of stairs. the Appalachian trail part is medium difficulty uphill hike. there are some difficult spots here and there, but that Byron Reece trail tries to kill you.

I take new people on that trail. I go from the parking lot to the top and spend the night, then walk out the way I came in most of the time. Its 2.15 miles from the parking lot to the shelter on top. you can do 2.15 miles in 8 hours or less. the trail is difficult, it will require a lot of work, but you can do it if you try hard enough and take your time. the views and camping up top is great with a sense of accomplishment.

Loved this one! Took Freeman up and that part was my favorite! Down from the shelter has lots of traffic. Great hike!

Awesome hike! I loved this so much. The hike up to Blood Mt. summit wasn’t too bad and the trail is well marked for the most part (although I did get turn around at some points) and the view from the top as incredible. The Freeman loop was not as fun. It is very rocky and you have to watch your footing while also watching out for spider webs. I ran into some hugggeeee spiders, which was not ideal. Good news is that if you go soon, I already cleared them out for you! Most definitely would hike again!

Did this yesterday. Beautiful day, beautiful hike. Not for amateurs. I expected the Freeman’s Loop portion to be easier than it was. Very rocky. Some people brought dogs but I think my dog (who is great on some hikes) would have struggled.

Did his about a week ago and had the best time ever! We should’ve stayed up top and just played around. The views were beautiful and the old shelter was cool (can’t wait to see what my fiend wrote on our next visit).

It was a beautiful day for an awesome hike!

Prefer to go up AT and return via Freeman Trail to avoid the crowds coming up. Freeman is usually empty.

This trail is no joke. View at the summit is absolutely worth it.

This was such a fun trail with multiple beautiful overlooks at the top. Most people turn left onto the AT when they make it to the intersection and are met with a steep incline and tons of rocks, but if you curve to the right and continue onto Byron Reese, you will have a slow and much more doable incline. We did this and thought the trail was fairly easy because of it. Wear good shoes and socks! The trail is so rocky.

The Blood Mountain portion was moderate and challenging. Great to see the lodge and the mountains all around. We came down Freeman’s loop - that part was brutal. So many rocks and roots to navigate, but we made it and will do it again. Be sure to bring more water than you think you’ll drink!

We tried to take Freeman trail but some guys said we were off trail so we turned around and took the AT trail. Lots of rocks to walk over and climb. Difficult trail but doable. It’s so worth the view at the top. I’ll be doing this again.

The AT portion is fairly open but Freeman portion somewhat overgrown. Lots of rocks and fallen trees to climb over on Freeman.

Lot's of fun for an experienced hiker, made the mistake of taking my girlfriend on this trail as her first hike. Needless to say she was in over her head.

Hikes this aith mt wife last October. We loved it!

There are lots of rocks and boulders and roots to keep your feet and ankles and senses engaged. Coming down Freeman is good practice for moving your whole body and not just your legs to keep the momentum going. Lots of shade, lots of moisture, lots of bugs and critters and birds. Families and small groups and couples fairly common on the AT portion, solitude on the Freeman.

This is def a great hike and work out. When you get to the first 4 way sign there's two trails towards the right. One trail going straight towards the right of the sign (it's a dirt trail) don't go down the rocky part, we made that mistake and had to come back up and then the other trail is directly to the right of the sign. These trails loop around. Either way you go, it's a workout. Worth it! Also I found it helpful recording my hike with the app, it def came in handy when I needed direction.

Great trail omg I love it

Very difficult hike no matter what skill level you are at. I still enjoyed the hike.

We are in north GA from West Virginia. We are staying at Vogel. This trail is excellent. My wife and I completed it in 2.5 hours, but we hiked at a steady pace. The hike is challenging but the summit is definitely worth the effort. You won’t be sorry!

Excellent hike with very strong to moderate climbs. If you do the freeman trail also, be prepared for some strong hiking. This is not a 1.5 - 2 hour hike. Plan for 3-4 hours of string hiking. There is a small waterfall to the-fill once you get about 1/3 way through the trail.

This was a very good hike, a nice workout for sure. Added a little extra mileage by going up to the 4 corners on the AT and then coming back to the Freeman Trail. Ok, I missed the turn but it was worth it. The dog enjoyed it as well.

My favorite hike in North Georgia, especially in the fall with all the leaves changing. It’s tough and steep but anyone can do it with breaks. Summit is relatively big with 360 views and a cool shelter. Perfect day along the AT.

excellent day hike even for beginners. The trail was challenging with alot of uphill climbing. My heart and pulse has not beat that fast in a long time. It's worth the climb to reach the summit and see the glorious views.