Blood Mountain and Freeman Loop Trail

Blood Mountain and Freeman Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,545 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south for 12 miles. Turn right into the Byron Herbert Reece Memorial and continue to the parking lot on the left.

I would recommend this trail to anyone who’d like to invite a moderate challenge. The trail is largely shaded by the forest canopy but in summer’s heat adequate hydration is still necessary. There is a fair amount of rocky scramble, so appropriate footwear and a set of walking sticks will prevent any unnecessary contributions to your deductible.

We hiked the Blood Mountain trail on Saturday, 8/10. We started early at the Byron Reece trailhead., around 8:30, and we’re so glad we did. There were only 5 cars in the very small parking lot when we arrived. When we finished the lot was overflowing with cars, and a few were waiting at the entrance for a spot to open up. The trail was serene and is well-maintained, although the white blazes are pretty far apart and in some crucial areas non-existent. The climb is very steep, and rocky in many places. It requires the use of both arms and legs to traverse some of the larger boulders. When you crest the spot with the large boulders where there isn’t a blaze in sight, go left. I was glad to see that I’m not the only one who went right initially. There were several who got confused by the lack of directional markers. Thankfully we had the good-sense to turn back within a few hundred feet, but another hiker wasn’t so lucky: He tried climbing the steep rocks and slipped, fell and cut a gash on his hand. There are a lot of snakes in the Summer-time. We had several hikers tell us to keep an eye out because they had seen snakes, and we nearly stepped on a baby snake - not sure what kind. I looked up photos, and the closest Georgia snake photo that I could find was of a non-venomous worm snake. I’m no snake expert, so I avoid all of them if possible. We’ll definitely hike this one again in the future. The views are worth the effort.

Great trail. Lots of difficult sections with some flatter parts to catch your breath. Very fun hike with great views just below the summit of blood mountain

nice. better trail Markers needed

Did the full loop from Neel Gap, to Jerard Gap, up slaughter creek, up blood mountain and back down to neel gap. Holy cardio..... bring your lungs...

We didn’t end up doing the full loop, but the distance we went was perfect for our group. Good views- I think the view a little below the very top (so before you get to the cabin) is a better one though. The top view is blocked by trees a bit.

Great trail. Steep and rocky in some sections. Well maintained and marked. Make sure to go all the way up to the AT shelter and climb up over the rocks to catch the view.

Great trail! Can be rocky and steep in sections but well marked and well worth the views.

Even with the climbing, the distance is pretty ok, so I wouldn't level it as hard. Very beautiful trail and completely funny. Loved.

Just came back from backpacking with 3 kids and 2 dogs. Overall a great hike/camp. Went through Jared Gap loop. Unfortunately, with a 6 year old and 8 year old, we didn't make it up Freeman Trail. Instead, we continued on the loop to find a campsite. We spent 2 nights. It rained most of the first day and at night. It is somewhat moderate hike for the kids but the dogs help pull on the incline making it easier for them. If camping, there is plenty of streams to use your water filter. Would definitely recommend hiking boots due to some rough areas and overall comfort.

This trail truly kicked my butt. There are a lot of craggy, rocky sections here, so be prepared. I wish I had a walking stick when we did it. It's a beautiful view at the top!

This trail was so much fun. It was really rocky but made it a fun adventure. The view at the top made it SO worth it! Will definitely hike this trail again.

Great hike. Went on a Sunday morning. A little rocky. Worth the effort for the views at top. Went clockwise on Freeman trail so was downhill on the most difficult and rocky section on way back from summit. My 3 year old golden had a blast. Go early to avoid afternoon crowds. I will definately do this one again.

Great hike, lots of shade with some open rocky areas. Great vista from the overlook. Historic shelter and nearby privy at the top. Well marked and maintained, good tent campsites just off the trail.

awesome loop trail. Rocky towards the summit. there are stunning views coming from the north (Neels Gap). Freeman trail loops back around Blood Mountain and is somewhat flat, but is rocky, be prepared.

This was the first time hiking the Freeman trail to Blood Mtn for me and my wife and although it was a longer route it was much less of an incline than the shorter route and a lot less traffic plus I enjoy a loop more than an out-and-back. The foliage was lush and I have never seen so many flame azaleas and also other flowering plants in my life, simply beautiful. A much more enjoyable path for me and this will be my preferred route in the future ( I think my wife still likes the more challenging straight up route). But If you have the extra time then I can’t imagine that you would be disappointed with this trail. It’s always fun to stop in to Mountain Crossings for a tee shirt or some gear, lots of friendly folks around there with a common interest..... hiking, hiking, and more hiking! Love the area no matter what path you take!!

My wife and I (early to mid 60’s) did this hike today and loved it. Per the recommendations, we went clockwise which we also suggest. Once on the Freeman Trail, the going is a little slow because of all the scrambling and large boulders. But the views at the top are great and the downhill, although steep, is manageable. Suggest wearing hiking boots or shoes.