Blood Mountain and Freeman Loop Trail

Blood Mountain and Freeman Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south for 12 miles. Turn right into the Byron Herbert Reece Memorial and continue to the parking lot on the left.

Hikes this aith mt wife last October. We loved it!

There are lots of rocks and boulders and roots to keep your feet and ankles and senses engaged. Coming down Freeman is good practice for moving your whole body and not just your legs to keep the momentum going. Lots of shade, lots of moisture, lots of bugs and critters and birds. Families and small groups and couples fairly common on the AT portion, solitude on the Freeman.

This is def a great hike and work out. When you get to the first 4 way sign there's two trails towards the right. One trail going straight towards the right of the sign (it's a dirt trail) don't go down the rocky part, we made that mistake and had to come back up and then the other trail is directly to the right of the sign. These trails loop around. Either way you go, it's a workout. Worth it! Also I found it helpful recording my hike with the app, it def came in handy when I needed direction.

Great trail omg I love it

Very difficult hike no matter what skill level you are at. I still enjoyed the hike.

We are in north GA from West Virginia. We are staying at Vogel. This trail is excellent. My wife and I completed it in 2.5 hours, but we hiked at a steady pace. The hike is challenging but the summit is definitely worth the effort. You won’t be sorry!

Excellent hike with very strong to moderate climbs. If you do the freeman trail also, be prepared for some strong hiking. This is not a 1.5 - 2 hour hike. Plan for 3-4 hours of string hiking. There is a small waterfall to the-fill once you get about 1/3 way through the trail.

This was a very good hike, a nice workout for sure. Added a little extra mileage by going up to the 4 corners on the AT and then coming back to the Freeman Trail. Ok, I missed the turn but it was worth it. The dog enjoyed it as well.

My favorite hike in North Georgia, especially in the fall with all the leaves changing. It’s tough and steep but anyone can do it with breaks. Summit is relatively big with 360 views and a cool shelter. Perfect day along the AT.

excellent day hike even for beginners. The trail was challenging with alot of uphill climbing. My heart and pulse has not beat that fast in a long time. It's worth the climb to reach the summit and see the glorious views.

Wow! There isn’t enough words. This is a difficult trail to say the least, and if you don’t pay attention (don’t know where my mind was) and do counterclockwise, you’re in for a a little more difficult time. There are rocks of all sizes to climb up and over. At one point, there was even a large tree that had obviously recently fallen down blocking an already narrow path. The dog and I climbed up and under to get to the other side. Ran into a AT section hiker twice - once after I completed the Freeman Trail section and then when I looped back to my beginning- and was told that only about 2% of the AT is as difficult as the Freeman and especially if you went counterclockwise like this genius did.

Fun hike.

one of the best views ever

Great trail! It’s an intermediate hike but it’s worth the time it takes to get to the top for that beautiful view of the mountain. With lots of water and some stops along the way I had a great time making it. Can’t wait to hike Blood Mountain again!

This is a solid hiking trail any way you start. If you start by Freeman trail you need to be patient, the rocks are a bit tricky. If you go on the AT to start, you need to be prepared for a workout. The right hiking shoes are a must! Best trail I’ve hiked so far.

Great hike, views and people along the way.

Lovely views, it’s a climb but with lots of variety and a few rocks to work around creating some variety. Not a slog. Plenty of people but not a problem. Parking is the big frustration.

great hike beautiful scenery well worth it

Beautiful day, definitely moderate not difficult. Elevation, some rock scrambles, but nothing scary. No precipitous drop-offs. 5-6 small stream crossings.
Late April, trees and wildflowers about 1 week away from full bloom. Arrived at 8am and had no trouble getting parking. Saw most of the ppl at the top of Blood mtn or at intersection of AT and Freeman. Generally not many ppl.
A great hike.

very steep, just take your time. The views are amazing!

We hiked this trail earlier today. there were quite a few groups of people but not crowded. I took my six year old and only saw one other group with children. mine was fine, he tripped a couple of times on the rocks. This is a hard trail, but very rewarding! You are climbing over rocks and boulders for a bit of the trail. I recommend going when there are clear skies, there was quite a bit of fog and at the top there were no good views because of that. There was a valley close to the top that we enjoyed quite a bit though!

Excellent hike and stunning views from the top of Blood Mountain. It was pretty crowded on a late morning weekday during Spring Break. But since we continued the loop to continue to the Freeman Trail, it was less crowded coming down the mountain than if we had backtracked back down like every other group was doing. Ran into a few AT through hikers. The last 2 miles is the Freeman Trail and we only saw one other person on it. We did this with kids (11 and 4) so it took almost double the time as what most people take for the loop because of many extended breaks to rest the little one's legs. But we planned for it to be an all day thing so it was a great adventure for them. I wouldn't recommend the full 6 mile loop for most people with small children unless you know your child can handle it. The last 2 miles on the Freeman Trail can be daunting for them since it is a lot of boulders and rocks after being tired out by the summit climb.

Beautiful hike. A little challenging but definitely worth it!

Did this trail in March 2018 and it’s a great day hike. The first 2/3 of the Trail ascends up Blood Mountain gradually with a pretty good push to the summit, then descends steeply over the finally mile and a half. The trail itself isn’t as established which gives it a very rustic adventurous feel as you hike the Blood Mountain ridge line. The second half of the hike loops back on the AT giving you a chance to run into AT through hikers. Not too difficult would definitely recommend.

My dog, Rezin, and I hiked the loop today, and I couldn’t be happier with how awesome it was. Weather was a little cloudy so it gave some nice shade. Great water access for majority of the hike. I didn’t need to get out my dog bowl, he was sipping from small creeks and puddles pretty much every time we took a break. The view from the peak of blood Mountain is out of this world! Decent amount of people on the trail, but all friendly and majority had dogs but they were friendly as well. Great place to also camp, so I plan on doing that next time! Overall, it was an absolutely beautiful and stunning hike!

Great hike

Watch out for ice and mud, but the trail is in good shape.

One of my favorite trails! Definitely a little difficult, but you'll be fully rewarded with the view at the top!

Great hike some ice on the trail but you could bypass most icy patches. This hike was recommended by a few websites as a top winter hike in north GA. They were right beautiful Mountain View’s all the way. Be sure to climb the rocks by the shelter at the summit that’s where the best views are.. as far as difficulty I would say moderate to hard but defiantly I saw dogs and children that made it to the summit with no problems.

Cold as it gets. Hit the trail at 8:30 this morning and the air temperature was at 7. Beautiful views and vistas although I only spent about 15 minutes at the top.
Trail conditions: deep frozen tundra with some slick spots along the hike.